Would you support such changes?

Yes
28 (38.4%)
No
17 (23.3%)
I support some of them
28 (38.4%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Author Topic: Proposed smp changes  (Read 96246 times)

Cora

• The Pink
  • Wheek Wheek Wheek!
    • View Profile
Re: Proposed smp changes
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2016, 12:40:34 am »
advertising costs money, a lot of money actually. So no, we have not thought about it at all as optical is the only one to make the decision to advertise.

Except that Optical is always open to ideas, and if the point of this is to bring up ideas to raise your player count - then perhaps people could be coming up with advertising ideas to help. Maybe new perk ideas to help pay for advertising, fixing the voting like he mentioned etc. Point is, other people might have some golden nugget ideas. Advertising doesn't have to be on a pay-ad basis. There's social media, and all sorts of other resources that I'm sure people could come up with if we asked them about this point too. Like Roza said - what's the point in all the hard work and changes, if no one will see them?
I understand that, but it just feels weird to me to attempt to tell someone how to spend their money, maybe it's just me being weird lol

LOL!! I get it Nick, that IS weird. But that's why they're ideas - not demands. Get the great minds of this server come up with some ideas and bring them to Optical - whether they be free or cost money. Let him then decide what he does/does not like. He's very reasonable and will hear anything out as long as there's a logical reason for it -- or at least that's my experience.

codepmman

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2016, 12:41:55 am »
Well at this point, getting rid of the world's is off the table.

with this change and some further discussion on some other points i think that this is now reasonable
would like to formally change my vote from outright no to i support some of them ...
Creepin........Like a boss

BECAUSE IM BIGGER THAN YOU

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2016, 01:44:31 am »
So I want to expand on our ideas for the points system. Basically the idea is for points to be taking the place of money. Everyday activities like mining and farming and whatnot will give the user points they can spend on things like protection. Voting would be the quickest way to gain points as well as any events we may run. The market would be completely gone except for the ability to buy a few items that you simply can not get in game any other way. A player trading system or a player shop system could be implemented to help players trade more easily and safely. I feel this would not only fix the broken nature of the economy, it would also encourage voting and encourage people to play more instead of afking at farms.
R.I.P. Blocky Jr. - Brutally killed by Kodak on accident

UnknownHedgehog

• Pointy Hedgehog
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2016, 03:59:33 am »
So I want to expand on our ideas for the points system. Basically the idea is for points to be taking the place of money. Everyday activities like mining and farming and whatnot will give the user points they can spend on things like protection. Voting would be the quickest way to gain points as well as any events we may run. The market would be completely gone except for the ability to buy a few items that you simply can not get in game any other way. A player trading system or a player shop system could be implemented to help players trade more easily and safely. I feel this would not only fix the broken nature of the economy, it would also encourage voting and encourage people to play more instead of afking at farms.
I like the market idea along with the idea of player shops at the market too.

I would also like to add a thought to the whole wipe thing. I already know it's off the table now, but I wonder how this would work in the eyes of the people who were against a world wipe but for a change to the economy.

I'm just curious as to what difference would that really make if the goal is to make survival more survival based, but wealthy players keep their money from the old system, and the worlds, with all their farms and all, are retained from the old system. (unless I'm misunderstanding something about all this). Ya the economy would be different, but so? If everything else is unchanged then we have older players with an advantage over newer ones (at least in terms of survivability) due to them profiting under the old system.

Not that I necessarily think the wealthy should have their money taken away, but I think and all or nothing approach would make more sense than having one or the other (between world wipe and economy revamp). At least to me it'd make more sense to either have a complete fresh start, or keep going the way it is. Buy idk, perhaps, again, I'm misunderstanding something.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 04:01:45 am by UnknownHedgehog »

HoaxZ

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2016, 05:13:08 am »
advertising costs money, a lot of money actually. So no, we have not thought about it at all as optical is the only one to make the decision to advertise.

Except that Optical is always open to ideas, and if the point of this is to bring up ideas to raise your player count - then perhaps people could be coming up with advertising ideas to help. Maybe new perk ideas to help pay for advertising, fixing the voting like he mentioned etc. Point is, other people might have some golden nugget ideas. Advertising doesn't have to be on a pay-ad basis. There's social media, and all sorts of other resources that I'm sure people could come up with if we asked them about this point too. Like Roza said - what's the point in all the hard work and changes, if no one will see them?
I understand that, but it just feels weird to me to attempt to tell someone how to spend their money, maybe it's just me being weird lol

LOL!! I get it Nick, that IS weird. But that's why they're ideas - not demands. Get the great minds of this server come up with some ideas and bring them to Optical - whether they be free or cost money. Let him then decide what he does/does not like. He's very reasonable and will hear anything out as long as there's a logical reason for it -- or at least that's my experience.

the best form of advertising is word of mouth, yes many dont want to play on an old world full of abandoned projects so a new world is a good idea. But to spread the word you can tell friends/family/acquaintances/colleagues at work or if you see people chatting in comments on youtube or twitter point them in Opticrafts direction.  the biggest advertisement is free and is us. we can all spread good things about this server and discuss it with others. if all of us do these things where possible on top of actually voting when we click the vote button (by the way the one that ask's for a maths answer doesn't accept the correct answer) we can maybe bring in a few more people and those who come in we try to encourage them to go out and advertise to their friends and family to bring in more people (obviously dont say do advertise just ask them to inform anyone about us) once more people come and more advertise you will get people come and go but once a member and into memberworld we hope those ones stay and make great members. the idea is we are all responsible for advertising and its free. if the staff can think of ways to help with links or banners or anything that will be great. something that will catch peoples eye and make them try. nothing complicated as when they join they need to feel as if they are welcomed and belong. anyway that is not part of advertising, but we all can push out and advertise anywhere that is free. then if you think of other cheap ways on cheap sites that is up to you staff and Optical but that is the best free form i know of and if we all do it, it does work well.

gavin1928374655

• Sexy Mermaid
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2016, 05:51:30 am »
I'm just curious as to what difference would that really make if the goal is to make survival more survival based, but wealthy players keep their money from the old system, and the worlds, with all their farms and all, are retained from the old system.
Down with the filthy 1%ers!  I say we strip the farms down and burn their remains!

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2016, 01:49:41 pm »
I like the market idea along with the idea of player shops at the market too.

I would also like to add a thought to the whole wipe thing. I already know it's off the table now, but I wonder how this would work in the eyes of the people who were against a world wipe but for a change to the economy.

I'm just curious as to what difference would that really make if the goal is to make survival more survival based, but wealthy players keep their money from the old system, and the worlds, with all their farms and all, are retained from the old system. (unless I'm misunderstanding something about all this). Ya the economy would be different, but so? If everything else is unchanged then we have older players with an advantage over newer ones (at least in terms of survivability) due to them profiting under the old system.

Not that I necessarily think the wealthy should have their money taken away, but I think and all or nothing approach would make more sense than having one or the other (between world wipe and economy revamp). At least to me it'd make more sense to either have a complete fresh start, or keep going the way it is. Buy idk, perhaps, again, I'm misunderstanding something.
you do misunderstand, the current economy would go away, that includes all the money.  Even if they kept the money it would be useless. And I do agree with you that a fresh start would make more sense to go along with changing the economy, but the players are clearly against that.

kagarium

• I'm alive, but inactive.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2016, 02:55:41 pm »
I'd like to see a resource world implemented. There are quite a few advantages to this and I cant really think of any disadvantages other than the majority of the mining wont be done in the main worlds. The resource world would allow the main worlds to look much nicer as they are for building and exploring only. The resource world would also regenerate regularly but also randomize so that players can not memorize where the resources are located. The goal of this is to not end up with worlds like old guest further down the road.

From what I can remember this has been brought up quite a few times in the past; and i think this would we a great thing to go along with a wipe of the economy. And like you said, now we never have to worry about a world running out of resources and having to create a new one

As for everything else, I'm for everything except wiping the worlds.
However, could you elaborate on:
- Change to a player defined protection field system
I don't understand exactly what that would ensue or really change about the server.
IGN: kag1999_ (now kagarium, thanks butter)

Quote from: Nick3306
I saved 100% on car insurance by switching to no car insurance

Roza

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2016, 03:41:05 pm »
one question I just donated for money, new economy it goes away, will there be compensation under the new system given to those who donated either by cash or top voter?

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2016, 03:44:34 pm »
one question I just donated for money, new economy it goes away, will there be compensation under the new system given to those who donated either by cash or top voter?
yes, we have been brainstorming ways to compensate if we were to go this route

And kag, it wouldn't change the server much at all. Just instead of buying protection of fixed sizes, the user would get to select the area they want protected.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 03:46:16 pm by Nick3306 »

Roza

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2016, 05:39:22 pm »
thanks Nick

in that case I have no further objections, and since a complete wipe is off the table I vote yes (a complete wipe is still a no vote)

Cora

• The Pink
  • Wheek Wheek Wheek!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2016, 07:02:57 pm »

I can't seem to wrap my head around what the big issue is with our current "economy." It works. People like it - it alters the game play from generic survival, and doesn't force me to flood parts of the map little farms etc. in order to get "points" for rare/hard to get blocks for builds that I'm working on. So I suppose mainly other than my extreme distaste for your point system, I'd really just like to know what everyone dislikes so much about our current "economy".

tiggy26668

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2016, 07:16:36 pm »
Proposed changes include:
- Complete wipe of the server (all worlds will be available for download)
- Simplification or removal of the economy system.
- Addition of pvp modes
- Addition of a player trading system
- Points system where players accumulate points for things like voting and doing everyday survival activities. These points can be used to buy protection or rare items.
- Change to a player defined protection field system

just gonna toss my 2 cents here
1) not happening gonna ignore
2) take my millions i could care less farming money was just an incentive to build things and stay active, needed stuff to do... see #3
3) addition of more stuff to do, doesn't have to be pvp just stuff in general. in any game once you beat the main storyline u start picking off the side quests, stuff = side quests
4) there should be a safe way to exchange goods, aside from that if i need 600 gold blocks im not gonna farm 2k stone to trade you, im just gonna farm the gold
5) this falls under the stuff category, whether it's money points kangaroos or dungeon raids it's just another thing to collect and more stuff to do
6) never liked protection stones, too costly, not reliable and had a high failure rate with a large difficulty to repair let alone find where you stuck um, alicia knows she's prolly replaced 500 or so for me at least, all for revamping this

my biggest problem with survival was always that there's nothing to survive, you could make a tiny dirt shack and live forever. given the nature of multiplayer and server resource costs you could never have enough units threatening every player, it would just be a laggy mess. in the end you just casually farm your way to victory then get bored with nothing left to accomplish and no outside threats.

for me by the end i was just afk at farms not because i wanted to be rich but because i'd run out of things to do.

one thing i'd always thought would be cool to implement would be dungeon type worlds, where you could take what you've gotten from the survival world and challenge yourself against significant foes, whether it be against a single boss mob, waves of foes, or trying to clear a little dungeon. possibly with the reward of unique items you couldn't acquire in the normal game ie: boots that let you fly for a limited time or something. just think how many people showed up to kill the dragon for a stupid black egg.

that's just my thoughts though do with it what you will
I'm Much more smarter admin than whoever banned me.

Roza

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2016, 07:27:15 pm »
well I agree Cora, I like the current economy, I don't and wont do stupid games etc. to get points, however, I am willing to compromise as they are not doing a complete wipe and will transfer my funds to the new economy.  but your right in the new economy I wont be able to buy anything anymore and that will hurt the quality of my builds.

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2016, 08:16:16 pm »

I can't seem to wrap my head around what the big issue is with our current "economy." It works. People like it - it alters the game play from generic survival, and doesn't force me to flood parts of the map little farms etc. in order to get "points" for rare/hard to get blocks for builds that I'm working on. So I suppose mainly other than my extreme distaste for your point system, I'd really just like to know what everyone dislikes so much about our current "economy".
That's just it, it doesn't work, it hasn't worked for a long time. The main idea behind our market and economy was that it was supposed to be a last resort for players get get a few blocks from. Unfortunately that turned into everyone building giant laggy farms and afking for hours on end to gain wealth. That is not, and has never been what we intended the economy and game play to be. It straight up doesn't work.

Roza, it is not stupid games, it's literally points for everyday survival things. No games. The point of it is that you gradually gain points the more you regularly play. You don't have to go out of you way to get them (except voting but it's obvious why we would do that).