March 29, 2024, 12:03:45 pm

Author Topic: Auction House System Ideas  (Read 24493 times)

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
Auction House System Ideas
« on: June 10, 2015, 12:05:39 am »
I have started working on an auction house system for the smp server and would like input/suggestions on any specific features you may want to see.

How the plugin will work so far is you can put up any item in your inventory for auction and it will stay up for auction for a set amount of time(to be determined later). During this time, other player can bid on the item and obviously the highest bid at the end of the time wins.

Planned commands

/auction sell (blockID) (amount) (starting bid)
/auction list // lists all the current auctions
/auction listmine //list all the auctions you have bid on or have put up yourself
/auction cancel (auction ID)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 07:20:51 pm by Nick3306 »
R.I.P. Blocky Jr. - Brutally killed by Kodak on accident

TarynMai

• Admin
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
Re: Auction House System Ideas
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 03:23:13 am »
Is there going to be a way to remove an item from an auction if you change your mind/pick the wrong item, or remove your bid?

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 03:34:14 am »
Is there going to be a way to remove an item from an auction if you change your mind/pick the wrong item, or remove your bid?
There will be a way to cancel an auction(added to the post now), but no way to remove your bid.

DeeKay

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 03:58:52 am »
A gui for the whole thing could be cool, giving players a visual interface to work with rather than only using commands.

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 04:10:55 am »
A gui for the whole thing could be cool, giving players a visual interface to work with rather than only using commands.
I personally don't think it is too necessary, could definitely be an added feature after the main release though.

clawstrider

• The Clawsome One
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 07:10:12 am »
/auction sell (blockID) (ammount) (starting bid)

I don't know about you, but I personally have no idea of half the blockIDs of stuff I'd want to sell. Perhaps have it put the things in your active hand slot up with /auction sell (starting bid) (optional amount, default is everything in hand)

100penguin.

• Purveyor of Logic
  • Cash Bribes only, to be placed in the slot below.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 07:59:26 am »
Quite complicated to implement, but I've seen it work elsewhere. If you have an item auctioned for $100, and someone bids $150 for a minute, then in the last 10 seconds of the bid you can only bid if your bid is significantly (perhaps 50%) higher. Just an example, but the idea is to stop people sniping things for a dollar more than the last person. Thoughts?

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 02:56:29 pm »
Quite complicated to implement, but I've seen it work elsewhere. If you have an item auctioned for $100, and someone bids $150 for a minute, then in the last 10 seconds of the bid you can only bid if your bid is significantly (perhaps 50%) higher. Just an example, but the idea is to stop people sniping things for a dollar more than the last person. Thoughts?
I was thinking about this actually and that is a very good idea. It was either that or there would be a minimum bid value overall so you couldn't just add a dollar to it at anytime

I don't know about you, but I personally have no idea of half the blockIDs of stuff I'd want to sell. Perhaps have it put the things in your active hand slot up with /auction sell (starting bid) (optional amount, default is everything in hand)
Well the hope is to set up the aliases like world edit does but if that proves too difficult (or time consuming really) the item in had would be the way to go.

TarynMai

• Admin
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 03:18:11 pm »

I don't know about you, but I personally have no idea of half the blockIDs of stuff I'd want to sell.

F3 + h will show you the IDs

VoreReznor

• Father
  • Operator
  • SMP - Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 03:18:45 pm »
I was thinking about this actually and that is a very good idea. It was either that or there would be a minimum bid value overall so you couldn't just add a dollar to it at anytime

Maybe you could just add time after each bid is made..  So if someone tries bidding up $1 in last few seconds it just adds another minute or 10 minutes to the end time.

velo

• veloticy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2015, 04:20:30 pm »
Don't get me wrong, an auction system would be great. Maybe this has already been discussed, but the only problem I see is the amount of spam Auctions create in chat.
Would this be on a separate chat channel, that players would be able to turn on/off?
What I think might be a good idea would be an announcement for when a bid starts, something like
"(player name) has started an auction for (block/amount) starting at (price)", as well as
"(player name)'s auction is now over."
This way, only players involved with the auction get the bulk of the messages, such as updates when another bid is made, etc., and would significantly decrease the amount of messages people get if they don't want to participate in the auction

- velo

100penguin.

• Purveyor of Logic
  • Cash Bribes only, to be placed in the slot below.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2015, 05:07:57 pm »

Not for those of us running Linux, Ubuntu or LUbuntu like me :P Just thought I'd throw that in there. If there wasn't a solution to this problem then perhaps we could use /itemdb. Many of the block id's are available at market under the name of the items there :D

clawstrider

• The Clawsome One
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2015, 05:31:49 pm »

I wasn't saying it's impossible to find them. I was saying that for a custom plugin, that doesn't seem like the best way to go.

Well the hope is to set up the aliases like world edit does but if that proves too difficult (or time consuming really) the item in had would be the way to go.

Sounds good, thanks.

TarynMai

• Admin
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2015, 05:39:10 pm »

Not for those of us running Linux, Ubuntu or LUbuntu like me :P

Aah I wasnt aware of that, my bad haha.

I wasn't saying it's impossible to find them. I was saying that for a custom plugin, that doesn't seem like the best way to go.

Well no, its not the best way, but my point was it isnt hard to figure out lol

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2015, 07:50:49 pm »
Don't get me wrong, an auction system would be great. Maybe this has already been discussed, but the only problem I see is the amount of spam Auctions create in chat.
Would this be on a separate chat channel, that players would be able to turn on/off?
What I think might be a good idea would be an announcement for when a bid starts, something like
"(player name) has started an auction for (block/amount) starting at (price)", as well as
"(player name)'s auction is now over."
This way, only players involved with the auction get the bulk of the messages, such as updates when another bid is made, etc., and would significantly decrease the amount of messages people get if they don't want to participate in the auction

Personally I was going to hold players responsible for checking up on their auctions which means no chat spam at all.