April 25, 2024, 06:14:09 am

Author Topic: Crafter Application - dfroster  (Read 10778 times)

DJAlphaWolf

• Former "Super Recruit"
  • Champion Member
  • Self Proclaimed Opticraft Entertainer
    • View Profile
Re: Crafter Application - dfroster
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2015, 12:23:13 am »
I think the design of a build needing more exterior or interior design is a matter of opinion. Who are we to judge a person's build because we want to see it that way? If the original builder chose not to include as much interior while instead focusing more on exterior, then they had a good reason to. It is their build and it is their vision.

Each build is a representation of the artistic imagination of the builder. Interior is not always a necessary aspect to a build though it does help create a more realistic and heavily detailed world for the viewers of the build. It's more something to please the viewers at this point though, since this is large scale.

When building on a large scale such as this, interior is no longer the focus. It's mostly exterior. It's all about accuracy, beauty and symmetry. It's about leaving you absolutely breathless.

The reason I see interior being forced into builds nowadays is because no one is impressed by anything anymore. We have seen all kinds of builds already and its just like "ya cool...but give me more detail because I want it". And so it became sort of a unanimous decision that now EVERY build must have both interior and exterior. Which is a wrong way of judgement. This is a creative freebuild server. We should be able to express ourselves however we see fit and not simply to appease others' standards. If we decide there will be less interior design than exterior then that is our choice. And ya I get it. He is making an application to become crafter, something the higher staff will be judging. So, in the end, its really their decisions and their rules. However, I would hope there is a fairer judging standard than just "hurr durr no interior. only exterior. no crafter for u ".

Rant complete. Feel free to bash it.

Good luck, doug.

TheWholeLoaf

• The Architect
  • Architecture Is All
    • View Profile
    • Spawn Builder
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2015, 01:15:08 am »
You are correct, a builder can build any which way he prefers, however, a crafter should be well rounded.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 02:02:05 am by TheWholeLoaf »
Go check out my website: www.minecraftspawnbuilder.weebly.com

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2015, 01:36:09 am »
I think the design of a build needing more exterior or interior design is a matter of opinion. Who are we to judge a person's build because we want to see it that way? If the original builder chose not to include as much interior while instead focusing more on exterior, then they had a good reason to. It is their build and it is their vision.

Each build is a representation of the artistic imagination of the builder. Interior is not always a necessary aspect to a build though it does help create a more realistic and heavily detailed world for the viewers of the build. It's more something to please the viewers at this point though, since this is large scale.

When building on a large scale such as this, interior is no longer the focus. It's mostly exterior. It's all about accuracy, beauty and symmetry. It's about leaving you absolutely breathless.

The reason I see interior being forced into builds nowadays is because no one is impressed by anything anymore. We have seen all kinds of builds already and its just like "ya cool...but give me more detail because I want it". And so it became sort of a unanimous decision that now EVERY build must have both interior and exterior. Which is a wrong way of judgement. This is a creative freebuild server. We should be able to express ourselves however we see fit and not simply to appease others' standards. If we decide there will be less interior design than exterior then that is our choice. And ya I get it. He is making an application to become crafter, something the higher staff will be judging. So, in the end, its really their decisions and their rules. However, I would hope there is a fairer judging standard than just "hurr durr no interior. only exterior. no crafter for u ".

Good luck, doug.

Your argument makes sense and doesn't make sense at the same time. It makes sense that people build what they want and how they want, that's fine, but he is going for our rank. Our rank that we came up with has our standards, especially when it comes to the highest building rank there is.

Now the problem with this is it creates a kind of "build for the rank" mentality that we don't want. This server isn't supposed to be about suffering through a build to get a rank, it is supposed to be about building because you love to build and if you happen to pick up a few ranks along the way, cool.
R.I.P. Blocky Jr. - Brutally killed by Kodak on accident

Spartan

• Follow my Twitter!
  • Champion Member
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2015, 03:23:43 am »

Good luck, doug.

Well said. Best of luck to you doug!

DJAlphaWolf

• Former "Super Recruit"
  • Champion Member
  • Self Proclaimed Opticraft Entertainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2015, 04:32:50 am »
Your argument makes sense and doesn't make sense at the same time. It makes sense that people build what they want and how they want, that's fine, but he is going for our rank. Our rank that we came up with has our standards, especially when it comes to the highest building rank there is.
I'm not arguing that he is applying for a rank based on your standards. That's true and I know that.

There is just this expectation to worry about interior just as much as exterior, which isn't the right message. A builder should feel comfortable with whatever they intend to create and not feel forced to add in details they don't deem necessary. Some builds are just meant to be interpreted "as a whole" rather than "look inside my incredibly realistic rendering of the inside of the Taj Mahal".

But I can see why such expectations exist for the higher building ranks of Builder and Crafter. I was just hoping that the lack of an aspect such as interior design isn't something that will heavily affect the final judgement of the builder's abilities. If there is a lack of one aspect, I'd hope the other aspects are just weighed a bit heavier than they would have if that aspect was there. So like lack of interior=slightly harder judgement on creativity, symmetry, concept, beauty, realistic factor, etc etc. But I am sure there probably is a much more complicated ranking process for Crafter than there is for Builder.

This server isn't supposed to be about suffering through a build to get a rank, it is supposed to be about building because you love to build and if you happen to pick up a few ranks along the way, cool.
I absolutely 100% agree with this sentiment. Build freely as you please and accomplish rank ups as a side incentive.

PIXELDUDE2001

• a rogue god
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2015, 05:06:03 am »
gl dougtato

MimesisX

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2015, 05:11:55 am »
Hello Staff and Fellow Members,

Nick, I understand entirely that a builder is going for your "rank" but may I ask to what standards you refer? If
"Extremely impressive builds, renowned for quality" is your standard than I fail to see all the controversy over Douglas's build, merely standing next them to evokes a sense of awe and accomplishment. If you're going to enforce a standard make a clear category you're rating an individuals building potential/build by.

I suggest a written set of categories available to all, for reference, these categories would be the cornerstone in which each build is measured and would avoid this mess entirely, each category would have a rating of 1-10 and in order to get CRAFTER there would need to be minimum total that is averaged between each Owner/Admins score sheet. For Example; The categories used could be:

WOW Factor!! (When you see this build does it's presence/appearance amaze you)
SIZE (Speaks for itself)
CREATIVITY (It's it a cookie cutter build or is it true inspiration)
EFFORT (How much time and dedication did it take to complete the build)
COMPLETION (Amount of Project Completed)
DETAIL (Is everything that can be done with respect to the build done in order to breathe life into it
RESPONSIBILITY (This applies to his maturity to handle the /kick function and should be considered)

Those listed should be totaled up and averaged together across the people judging it , and if the score exceeds the minimum threshold of lets say 55/70 then BOOM! crafter. I totally respect all of you making this judgement and how you're worried about how it will affect Doug, but I think I believe part of the problem here is none truly has set a standard and a many of us feel the process needs more oversight and standardization.  

If we can advance the server together we'll have a much more pleasant experience overall <3 because in the end, the server would be a lonely place without it's members.

TheWholeLoaf

• The Architect
  • Architecture Is All
    • View Profile
    • Spawn Builder
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2015, 05:25:30 am »

I suggest a written set of categories available to all, for reference, these categories would be the cornerstone in which each build is measured and would avoid this mess entirely.

What mess are you referring to? As far as I can see, there is no problem that needs attention. We are all just commenting on the application, nothing more. The owners and admins already have their ways of judging. You already need promission from one of them to even apply, so by that you already know you are either there or close.

And as previously stated, players are not to think they are to build to a specific standard, so a rubric would be counterproductive in that aspect. For some players it might be nice, for others, it may have a negative effect.

However, this is a topic for creative suggestions, as to not get this application off topic.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 05:27:10 am by TheWholeLoaf »
Go check out my website: www.minecraftspawnbuilder.weebly.com

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2015, 05:32:00 am »
Hello Staff and Fellow Members,

Nick, I understand entirely that a builder is going for your "rank" but may I ask to what standards you refer? If
"Extremely impressive builds, renowned for quality" is your standard than I fail to see all the controversy over Douglas's build, merely standing next them to evokes a sense of awe and accomplishment. If you're going to enforce a standard make a clear category you're rating an individuals building potential/build by.

I suggest a written set of categories available to all, for reference, these categories would be the cornerstone in which each build is measured and would avoid this mess entirely, each category would have a rating of 1-10 and in order to get CRAFTER there would need to be minimum total that is averaged between each Owner/Admins score sheet. For Example; The categories used could be:

WOW Factor!! (When you see this build does it's presence/appearance amaze you)
SIZE (Speaks for itself)
CREATIVITY (It's it a cookie cutter build or is it true inspiration)
EFFORT (How much time and dedication did it take to complete the build)
COMPLETION (Amount of Project Completed)
DETAIL (Is everything that can be done with respect to the build done in order to breathe life into it
RESPONSIBILITY (This applies to his maturity to handle the /kick function and should be considered)

Those listed should be totaled up and averaged together across the people judging it , and if the score exceeds the minimum threshold of lets say 55/70 then BOOM! crafter. I totally respect all of you making this judgement and how you're worried about how it will affect Doug, but I think I believe part of the problem here is none truly has set a standard and a many of us feel the process needs more oversight and standardization.  

If we can advance the server together we'll have a much more pleasant experience overall <3 because in the end, the server would be a lonely place without it's members.

You misunderstand, there is no controversy over dougs builds. I was simply responding to a statement that DJ made in a general sense. I was not talking about any app in particular it just happened to be in dougs app which is probably not the place for it. sorry.

And mime, you cant standardize a process to judge creative builds because each one is uniquely different. 
R.I.P. Blocky Jr. - Brutally killed by Kodak on accident

VoreReznor

• Father
  • Operator
  • SMP - Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2015, 04:50:17 pm »
Well Judging only on that treehouse I would say "Congrats"

UnknownHedgehog

• Pointy Hedgehog
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2015, 03:41:06 am »
Back on Classic, if you were trying to apply for Crafter and your builds (this is applying to buildings and architecture) didn't have an interior, then the admins probably wouldn't have even given you permission to apply. And this was in the days of only having 44 items (37 blocks, 5 plants, and water/lava) to work with and a height limit of little over 90 blocks high.

Now with what builders have now with Creative mode and huge worlds, it should really be no surprise what we're expecting. Especially for Crafter.

The WTC is given leeway since every floor would be pretty much the same thing.

JoeTheBro.

• My Anaconda Don't. Formerly Micah56
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2015, 08:45:25 am »
The treehouse will defiantly be the make-or-break for this one! Good Luck doug :)

TarynMai

• Admin
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2015, 03:51:21 pm »
Rejected due to nothing being done for this app