March 28, 2024, 06:02:05 pm

Author Topic: =How to be a better builder in general=  (Read 10144 times)

Gogar72

• Architect
    • View Profile
=How to be a better builder in general=
« on: May 27, 2014, 02:22:42 am »
Building Guide

This is going to be a guide on improving 5 different aspects of building in minecraft.
By Gogar72

Building in minecraft can be a challenge when you are limited on resources and are dealing with cubes. There are many many many many things you need to think about when you are building in minecraft.

1.) Details
2.) Purpose
3.) Atmosphere
4.) Style (Kinda optional)
5.) Perspective (Kinda like atmosphere)

Details

Adding detail is extremely important when it comes to the actual building itself. This doesn't really have anything to do with the area around your interior/exteriors. When I say detail, I am referring to the thing you are making. Now detail goes with Style very well. When you pick a style, you need to find details that you can add onto that style. You should also pick blocks that go very well together. I will discuss randomization later.

Bad Example: A very nice house with emerald bricks in front. The emeralds are very in the way of the build unless if the entire other build can support it. So if your house was made of wood, it will look pretty bad.

Good Example: A castle made with randomized stone bricks with a gate and all sorts of decoration. This is really good as it gains many different blocks while at the same time, it isn't that hard.

Purpose

Purpose is quite easy in my opinion. It is basically common sense. I will just put a bunch of examples so that way you guys can get the point.

Bad Examples:                                           Good Examples:                                                  
  A church next to a mine                              A house that supports the needs of someone living there
 A huge dock, but no storage                        A village that has the requirements for it to sustain
 A farmhouse, but 80% of it is wheat              Blacksmith stuff with a blacksmith (Duh)
 A park with a flat surface                            Windmills pointing the same way
  To many supports for a small building             A huge house with space to walk around outside
 A window that you can't get to.                   A pathway between different places

Atmosphere

Atmosphere is really important guys. Making a really nice house is one thing. But if your feeling around it lacks, than it brings the epicness down by 50% in my opinion. And remember, Atmosphere isn't just plants or trees. Atmosphere is the feeling around your build. There are not really bad examples of this one, so I will just give out good ones. One huge tip that made me a better builder, was to stop making notch trees. They are highly un-realistic and will drop your atmospheric level by a ton. Learn how to make realistic trees, if you need help, look some designs up from other people.

Good Examples: A swamp house that is covered with greenery.
A lumbermill with cut down looking trees near it.

Style

Your style is what makes your building unique, so don't copy others unless if it is very minor. I can't give many tips on this one as it is very tied in with detail. Choose something you wanna build, and make it super easy to tell what it is. You can do that with Purpose as well. Once again, make your style, it isn't easy and can take many many hours of practice. Always try to improve what you already have as well.

Perspective

This one is really hard. I have many troubles with it but I will give you info on what I know. When you are building in minecraft, there are many small details or what most people like to go by 'Emphasis.' You need to make your building look 3d even if it's a wall. A really simple example is glass panes vs. glass blocks. It is so amazing on the difference between those 2 blocks that can throw a build off so easily. Glass panes give more perspective while glass blocks are flat against your build. Best way to improve on this is to get other people to look at your builds and ask them to criticize it. Even if you don't like being judged, sometimes it helps you get better at things.

Randomization

This is good for people who are a bit more experienced but why not start early? Randomization really isn't something you can learn. You just need to feel the blocks and stop being so symmetrical/ocd.

Block Combos

Pretty simple, block combos are just blocks that go nicely together. Of course there is a lot more when it comes to the blocks themselves. I will go over the basics, Horizontal, Vertical, Diagonal. Those 3 things need to be approached with the right blocks. It adds Perspective to your build as well. Quartz blocks is a great way of explaining it. You have pillars which are obviously used for vertical situations. The normal block which could be used for any of them or filling in spots. And the chiseled blocks are used only on unique builds. Diagonal is good when you have a solid block that doesn't emphasis anything.

Good Block Combos:
Wood, stone, cobblestone, wood planks
Quartz, stone slabs, glass panes
Netherbrick, obsidian, quartz
Etc.. Just pick something that looks nice together.

Layouts/Planning

This is optional, if you like building without any ideas in front of your face, then ignore this step. Layouts are ways of putting something in front of you that way you can build the exterior faster/better. In my city, Gorland, I use layouts for every single building.

How do I build? What is my secret?

This one is going to be a long one but I highly suggest your read this. First of all, all of you that come to my homes and see good builds isn't because I used these tips. These tips aren't the secrets to being a god at building. They are simply just here to tell you how you can improve by these certain topics in building. I used to be one of the worst builders in minecraft since early beta.
   How did you get good at building? I practiced. It wasn't easy, it really does suck up time on your hands. You constantly need to change things in your builds and test things out to see if you like it or not. Adding 1 block to a build can change the whole way someone looks at it. But again, I simply practiced.
   So how do you build? I have started building with all of these techniques for about a month now. Since then, I have seen huge growth amount and I am pretty glad I tried that hard to get to where I am now. Overall, I have probably built for a total of 200 hours. So you will really need to find some time on your free time to practice. I build mostly medieval and a little modern. I can do everything else, it just is to much to list and some are weaker than others. I use layouts personally. I think they are the best way to start improving in my opinion.

======================================================================================================================================

Bonus Tips
These are my opinions, but I think they help a lot. Post yours down as well!
-Notch trees :(
-Look up some videos on how to build faster (It really does improve your speed)
-Ask for help
-Build on many servers if you have the time
-Get involved with other people's projects as you will get ideas over time
-Watch how other people build
-Build with the land, not against it.

I wanna give some credit to Jamziboy (Go check him out) He is an outstanding builder and also did a building guide like this. Mine just gives a different perspective from a person who started out as a terrible builder to someone that actually can build now.

Again feel free to ask me any questions of the forum emails or replies. I will respond to all of them.
Check out my Gorland thread, you may get some ideas! http://www.opticraft.net/index.php/topic,19206.0.html
Look at the Accepted Project/Hall of fame Applications. They also give good inspiration.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 04:23:17 am by Gogar72 »

Nothing_

• View Profile
Re: =How to be a better builder in general=
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 02:24:36 am »
Nothing_________ was slain by wall of text*

khoiboy51

• Official SMP Trusted!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 05:48:27 am »
khoiboy51 was slain by a wall of intrestin and helpful text

This was really helpful

Hola.

~pimkey5~

• We put the world away, we get so Disconnected~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 06:59:24 am »
dayum u took the time to actually write that? XD

khoiboy51

• Official SMP Trusted!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 07:48:48 am »
Hey! You should make another post saying good block combos

Hola.

Gogar72

• Architect
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 12:52:52 pm »
dayum u took the time to actually write that? XD
When you walk around and see enough builds that don't even have any of these attributes, yes.
Hey! You should make another post saying good block combos
Big topic but I will add it later.

Caanite.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 09:02:09 pm »
This would have been useful when I was scouring the internet looking for tips on how to build. Oh and for all of you who think this is big, the ones I've seen are about 10x longer with ideas on what to build, tips of using rps for building and general layout of buildings. But a good block combinations part I haven't seen yet, so I look forward to it.
Overall, great guide
[22:52]   OptiBot-Creative   PIXELDUDE2001: Caanite is the almighty ceo and god of the server

Gogar72

• Architect
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 11:34:08 pm »
Ohhh yeah, I have seen ones that just go on and on and on...Really, it's not really needed. Building is not that hard, it just needs to be approached with the right mindset.

Edit: Added Block Combo section.

I plan on continuing to add on more and more things until I am literally out of info to give out. "How to get started" is next.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 11:49:00 pm by Gogar72 »

Nothing_

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 01:42:47 am »
Where is the section on how to build a castle?

Gogar72

• Architect
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 01:51:33 am »
Where is the section on how to build a castle?
You make me want to hurt you.

FNVcourierjon(SigilStone)

• Champion Member
  • Vault 102 Overseer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 01:14:43 pm »
Thanks for this (:

Gogar72

• Architect
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 10:35:46 pm »
Thanks for this (:
Don't mention it :P

Added Layouts/Planning section.
Coming soon- I will be adding a /home ingame that will put you guys at a bunch of examples of what I am talking about in this thread! If you are not on the forums as much, the home will most likely be /home Gogar72 Examples.
-Thanks-
   =Gogar72=
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 12:56:22 am by Gogar72 »

Tobs

• Senior Staff
  • Administrator
  • Champion Member
  • Banhammers must be worn at all times!
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 10:49:29 am »
Randomisation is the part which I usually have the most trouble with, the new member spawn doesn't show a great deal of symmetry so it looks pretty nice as a castle. Depending what you're making it may or may not be needed :P

Nice guide though, however wordy. Maybe some picture examples in spoilers?

Gogar72

• Architect
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2014, 04:25:53 am »
Randomisation is the part which I usually have the most trouble with, the new member spawn doesn't show a great deal of symmetry so it looks pretty nice as a castle. Depending what you're making it may or may not be needed :P

Nice guide though, however wordy. Maybe some picture examples in spoilers?
Yeah I will definitely add pictures soon. I just need to go in a flat world and build some examples. Randomization I agree doesn't need to be everywhere. The member world spawn I think you did a really good job on. I hate symmetrical castles so I thought you did pretty well.

Things Added: How do I build? What is my secret?
Pictures will be added soon.

Kodak28

• ~carpe noctem~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2014, 04:45:13 am »
Another thing I'd like to add into this is trying to add some shape into your builds.  All of these tips are great and very helpful, but if all you build are square or pyramid shaped builds then your potential becomes extremely limited and redundant.  I've found its helpful to add curves or circles into builds to give it more dimension, and if this gives you difficulty there are plenty of minecraft circle guides online to find or you can just experiment with random curves yourself.  It just helps bring uniqueness to a build and breaks up the blocky feel.

(click to show/hide)