March 29, 2024, 11:14:52 am

Author Topic: Lets have some Ideas.  (Read 19072 times)

daniblue182

• Mayor of Xanadu
  • 'All this time?' 'Always'
    • View Profile
Re: Lets have some Ideas.
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2014, 01:01:18 pm »
Can y'all just let Opticraft die with some dignity?

I'd rather see it die as a vanilla SMP server with an awesome community than see it heavily modded just to suit the needs of a gaming community with the attention span of a squirrel.

We can't keep opticraft forever and we certainly can't make it like those other servers you guys play. I already know that pvp and factions worlds will probably never be approved. That's never what we were about.

We're a building community. We really are. We began with a simple, yet successful Classic Minecraft server, filled with glorious builds and designs. Our eager community members would log on each day, inspired to build something amazing. We grew into an SMP server eventually as well and while the focus was placed on survival, people managed to still impress us with magnificent feats of work on SMP.

Considering Classic is officially dead and Opticraft no longer recognizes it as a part of the Opticraft experience (hence the archiving of the classic forums), I think our best idea would be to have either a creative server or at the very least an event server. We need a place to express ourselves freely through building like the classic server used to do.

Considering there is little to no survival on opticraft anyways with all its plugins, people are just getting bored. We can keep trying to earn money but there really isn't much of an incentive to bother. The voting rewards of diamonds aren't really useful unless you're trying to amass a collection, are pvping (not many are) or are making a bunch of tools every day (which you shouldn't need to unless you're making backup tools or selling em for some small amount of profit).

Perhaps for our survival server it might be best to separate inventories/money to each world so people can actually work to acquire things instead of already having it by switching back to their massive vault rooms of stuff in their home world.

Hardcore survival could also work.

But remember to not change the server too much. We're a friendly server. We're a great community that comes together to make this server more interesting. And we definitely all love to build. Adding an unfriendly mechanic such as war, factions, and hunger games might take away from our positive personality.

We will morph into an environment of hostility which may be OK just for the sake of the game but that's not what the opticraft I've been with for the past 2.5 years is all about.

I totally agree with you that we shouldn't add factions or hunger games etc but I really don't want the server to die out

The selfie that made nick change spawn.

khoiboy51

• Official SMP Trusted!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2014, 01:03:00 pm »
None of us want opti to die out but we just should keep thongs smooth and slow and not jump to conclusions when the server isn't even that dead yet (i hope)

Hola.

SalsaInABowl

• AKA SalsaOnTheFloor
  • Champion Member
  • Retired. Find me on Steam or IG.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2014, 02:17:05 pm »
Remember the hardcore island suggestion?

Do it.
I don't play Minecraft anymore and hardly come back to these forums. If you want to contact me, find me on Steam or Instagram. Username for everything is SalsaInABowl.

Caanite.

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2014, 08:59:18 pm »
Here's my thoughts on ALL the suggestions posted in this post.
1. Block Hunt: Although I enjoy playing Block Hunt, as soon as someone finds a way to exploit the map, it starts getting boring as the hiders will almost always win. Also, community is terrible with the only chat there ever being "You can never fine me, give us a hint..." and so on.
2. Fixing Lag: That may help a tiny bit but it won't attract new players, just maybe keep old ones from quitting.
3. Cleaning the World: I think the world looks good as it is, just the old world's that are griefed to shit.
4. Fixing Vote: This would make the game fairer but may cause some old players to quit (No more free diamond D:)
5. PMC: This is probably the suggestion I agree with the most as it is easy to do, will get us new players and will give us another voting site.
6. Banners: There are alot of banners you can use as you can just download the images from the Banner Competition Thread.
7. Factions: I can see why Factions is fun and all but I personally don't like it. Only upside to Factions is that a tonne of people will join but it only has a slightly better community than Block Hunt. And by that I mean hardly anything at all.
8. Creative: The best gamemode suggestion IMO. Just look at DJ's post as I totally agree with his view on Creative and he covered everything I wanted to say here.
9. Hunger Games: Best Minigame there is but has the same problems as Factions.
10. Spleef: I loved Spleef but I've only ever played it on this server. We just need to get more people to like it to get this up and running.
11. Build Competition: May get much more of the old players back who still check the Forums but I wouldn't enter because I'm only slightly good at building.
12. Opticraft Carnival: I don't see how this will do anything to help the server other than making current players have a tiny bit more fun.
13. Separate Inventories: This is not exactly practical for the current worlds but for any upcoming worlds this is a great idea.
14. Hardcore: Yes, I probably won't play on it much but this is definitely my second favorite gamemode suggestion, especially considering that it'll bring in new players and is very fun to play on.
15. Colored Chat: Makes chat too confusing so and name colours to indicate rank so it's not needed and will make chat too confusing.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 11:14:17 pm by Caanite. »
[22:52]   OptiBot-Creative   PIXELDUDE2001: Caanite is the almighty ceo and god of the server

khoiboy51

• Official SMP Trusted!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2014, 09:12:40 pm »
10. Spleef- This might not attract new players but it mught keep the old. We could have multiple renas and a this require not much it wouldn't be hard to run.
13. One idea I made up twenty seconda ago. In chat I know that colourful chat was a no-no but maybe we could modify it so that certain ranks spoke in their colour etc. member, grey chat trusted, orange
14. I suppose if we came to the extremity o the hunger games we could just turn one of our pvp maps a bit larger then add chests
15. Maybe something like hardcore island as someone suggested

Hola.

Duinis

• Arghblarglarghlpoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2014, 10:00:01 pm »
Can y'all just let Opticraft die with some dignity?

I'd rather see it die as a vanilla SMP server with an awesome community than see it heavily modded just to suit the needs of a gaming community with the attention span of a squirrel.

We can't keep opticraft forever and we certainly can't make it like those other servers you guys play. I already know that pvp and factions worlds will probably never be approved. That's never what we were about.

We're a building community. We really are. We began with a simple, yet successful Classic Minecraft server, filled with glorious builds and designs. Our eager community members would log on each day, inspired to build something amazing. We grew into an SMP server eventually as well and while the focus was placed on survival, people managed to still impress us with magnificent feats of work on SMP.

Considering Classic is officially dead and Opticraft no longer recognizes it as a part of the Opticraft experience (hence the archiving of the classic forums), I think our best idea would be to have either a creative server or at the very least an event server. We need a place to express ourselves freely through building like the classic server used to do.

Considering there is little to no survival on opticraft anyways with all its plugins, people are just getting bored. We can keep trying to earn money but there really isn't much of an incentive to bother. The voting rewards of diamonds aren't really useful unless you're trying to amass a collection, are pvping (not many are) or are making a bunch of tools every day (which you shouldn't need to unless you're making backup tools or selling em for some small amount of profit).

Perhaps for our survival server it might be best to separate inventories/money to each world so people can actually work to acquire things instead of already having it by switching back to their massive vault rooms of stuff in their home world.

Hardcore survival could also work.

But remember to not change the server too much. We're a friendly server. We're a great community that comes together to make this server more interesting. And we definitely all love to build. Adding an unfriendly mechanic such as war, factions, and hunger games might take away from our positive personality.

We will morph into an environment of hostility which may be OK just for the sake of the game but that's not what the opticraft I've been with for the past 2.5 years is all about.

You win.

As usual.

iGenerator

• Super Trusted
  • Champion Member
  • Mayor of Rosenberg
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2014, 10:52:42 pm »
Um Creative would be sweet.. Not that plot crap no one likes plots just give us a generated world and bring back ranks like those of classic, crafters would get world edit instead of cuboid.  It's really successful other places.
Major Igenerator
City Planner for Stuttgart

DP

Caanite.

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2014, 11:15:47 pm »
10. Spleef- This might not attract new players but it mught keep the old. We could have multiple renas and a this require not much it wouldn't be hard to run.
13. One idea I made up twenty seconda ago. In chat I know that colourful chat was a no-no but maybe we could modify it so that certain ranks spoke in their colour etc. member, grey chat trusted, orange
14. I suppose if we came to the extremity o the hunger games we could just turn one of our pvp maps a bit larger then add chests
15. Maybe something like hardcore island as someone suggested
Please don't continue my list, that list was for me to review the all of the suggestions not suggest new ones and also, there are tonnes of spleef arenas around if you bother to look. Just no one plays in them anymore.

Also
Um Creative would be sweet.. Not that plot crap no one likes plots just give us a generated world and bring back ranks like those of classic, crafters would get world edit instead of cuboid.  It's really successful other places.
+1 to this.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 11:28:15 pm by Caanite. »
[22:52]   OptiBot-Creative   PIXELDUDE2001: Caanite is the almighty ceo and god of the server

daniblue182

• Mayor of Xanadu
  • 'All this time?' 'Always'
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2014, 11:36:59 pm »
Creative would be great for the server since opti was great on classic

The selfie that made nick change spawn.

TheWholeLoaf

• The Architect
  • Architecture Is All
    • View Profile
    • Spawn Builder
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2014, 04:30:12 am »
A creative world would just be an updated classic server which was very popular.
Go check out my website: www.minecraftspawnbuilder.weebly.com

Gogar72

• Architect
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2014, 04:35:05 am »
Yeah you do that, just please maybe make it applicable to get into the creative world so we don't just get a block house?

OzzyKP

• I sleep with the fishes.
    • View Profile
    • National Youth Rights Association
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2014, 06:34:54 pm »
Ok, we now have creative.  Have we seen a spike in interest or growth in members? 

It doesn't look like it.  There wasn't a spike in members when PVP was added either.

I'm not sure we need to make big changes really, perhaps we just need to do a better job of marketing the server.  Some suggestions:

- Add new voting sites, or switch out the ones we do have. 
- Promote the server more on Minecraftforum.net and Planet Minecraft. 
- I know a good video or two were made, perhaps put them up on the main Opticraft.net site to better attract visitors
- I've heard some suggest that grief traps are driving away too many people, perhaps we can try ending those?

I really hope someone is giving some serious thought to the fact that this server is dying and is working on a plan to stop that.
Owner & Creator of Aquain, a huge underwater city in the old guest world.  Check out info on my underwater city here.

DeeKay

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2014, 06:42:05 pm »
-snip-
Are you talking about SMP or Creative?

OzzyKP

• I sleep with the fishes.
    • View Profile
    • National Youth Rights Association
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2014, 07:12:38 pm »
SMP mostly, but creative isn't going like gang busters either and also needs help.
Owner & Creator of Aquain, a huge underwater city in the old guest world.  Check out info on my underwater city here.

TheWholeLoaf

• The Architect
  • Architecture Is All
    • View Profile
    • Spawn Builder
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2014, 11:59:08 pm »
- Add new voting sites, or switch out the ones we do have.  
- Promote the server more on Minecraftforum.net and Planet Minecraft.  
- I know a good video or two were made, perhaps put them up on the main Opticraft.net site to better attract visitors
- I've heard some suggest that grief traps are driving away too many people, perhaps we can try ending those?

I really hope someone is giving some serious thought to the fact that this server is dying and is working on a plan to stop that.

First and second are points that have been repeatedly made and are good ideas. I'm not all to sure what opti's plans are, but these have been suggested to him. It also comes down to who's voting and who's not.

For the video's, putting them up on our own site wont help, but putting them up on say the minecraft forums or PMC would be a good idea.

As for grief traps deterring people from joining our server, that's just completely absurd. If someone is banned for the grief trap and they don't feel like returning because of that fact, then that's on them. They chose to grief. I'd rather have 10 people than have 50 people, more than half of which are grieferes that will be banned later on.

Three good ideas tho.

Just like to add, even tho opticraft has very few people anymore, opti still has no intentions of shutting it down, as of what I last heard from him.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 12:39:29 am by TheWholeLoaf »
Go check out my website: www.minecraftspawnbuilder.weebly.com