March 29, 2024, 11:42:01 am

Author Topic: Gaming Laptops, Help!  (Read 4178 times)

Holy_Moses

• Operator
  • I'm still here
    • View Profile
Gaming Laptops, Help!
« on: January 25, 2014, 04:54:46 am »
I need your help.

My good old HP G62 got the "black screen of death" like 10 minutes ago. I did a hard reset and managed to get it running again, I called a local computer shop and they did some research for me and they told me the laptop most likely wont live to see another day. HP claims that it may correlate to poor soldering connections on one of the board things and the laptop will have to be sent to them for work.

The laptop's warranty expired months ago, so sending the laptop to HP to get refurbished is expensive as shit, and I don't wanna send it to a repair shop because I'm not about getting ripped off. I'm considering buying a new laptop, most likely a gaming one. It's something I'll have to bring up to my mom (not the gaming part). The laptop's just turned 3 years old and is pretty outdated. I have never really been a big computer person so I don't know crap. All I know is what the main components of a PC are; I don't know what they do or how they do it.

I wont really be playing much other than Minecraft and possibly a few steam games, but playing MC at 20fps w/ optifine gets annoying. Price range is $Cheap.99-$1500. I would build a gaming PC but It'd be no use since I'm not home, have nowhere to store it (base requires expensive electronics to be stored in our closets, my closet is sketchy as fuck as it is), and my WiFi connection is shit so online gaming would be pointless.

Please send me some suggestions! w/ links.

Thanks
IG - @oem_moses

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Laptops, Help!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 05:12:18 am »
$1500 is a pretty good amount to work with.

maybe something like this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152452

Now keep in mind that most gaming laptop need a dedicated laptop cooler to not overheat.

But really I would look for sales, gaming laptops tend to go onsale a lot.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 05:17:30 am by Nick3306 »
R.I.P. Blocky Jr. - Brutally killed by Kodak on accident

Holy_Moses

• Operator
  • I'm still here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 12:27:56 am »
Looks to be like an awesome laptop. I got the go ahead from mom. Gonna keep looking around for something a bit cheaper
IG - @oem_moses

OzzyKP

• I sleep with the fishes.
    • View Profile
    • National Youth Rights Association
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 04:06:33 am »
I may be in the market for a gaming laptop too.  My desktop crashes and freezes a lot (I have no idea why).  Plus I have a lot if business travel coming up this year.  I'd love to be able to hang out in the hotel playing Minecraft when I don't have to be working.  

I'm looking at closer to $1,000 though.  Ideally it could run Winamp, Minecraft, Photoshop and several open tabs in Firefox at the same time without crashing or freezing.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 04:08:15 am by OzzyKP »
Owner & Creator of Aquain, a huge underwater city in the old guest world.  Check out info on my underwater city here.

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 04:20:09 am »
I may be in the market for a gaming laptop too.  My desktop crashes and freezes a lot (I have no idea why).  Plus I have a lot if business travel coming up this year.  I'd love to be able to hang out in the hotel playing Minecraft when I don't have to be working.  

I'm looking at closer to $1,000 though.  Ideally it could run Winamp, Minecraft, Photoshop and several open tabs in Firefox at the same time without crashing or freezing.
Well if you do serious photoshop editing (like huge images with tons of detail) you should look for a laptop with 12gb of ram over 8gb.
R.I.P. Blocky Jr. - Brutally killed by Kodak on accident

Holy_Moses

• Operator
  • I'm still here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 04:52:38 pm »
Well the GT70 sold out he other day. Just ordered the gt60. Should get it next week
IG - @oem_moses

OzzyKP

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 01:56:44 pm »

I'm looking at closer to $1,000 though.  Ideally it could run Winamp, Minecraft, Photoshop and several open tabs in Firefox at the same time without crashing or freezing.
Well if you do serious photoshop editing (like huge images with tons of detail) you should look for a laptop with 12gb of ram over 8gb.

So far I've been doing everything on my desktop with 4GB ram.  It obviously struggles with my work load, but most of the time has been usable.  I figure if I've been able to get by this long with 4, then hopefully 8 will do it.  

Here are two options I'm considering:

Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p

Clevo W740SU

How do the two compare?
Owner & Creator of Aquain, a huge underwater city in the old guest world.  Check out info on my underwater city here.

Chipaton

• Young One
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 03:15:33 pm »
I may be in the market for a gaming laptop too.  My desktop crashes and freezes a lot (I have no idea why).  Plus I have a lot if business travel coming up this year.  I'd love to be able to hang out in the hotel playing Minecraft when I don't have to be working. 

Lenovo is a million times better unless you need a lightweight laptop with a longer battery life.

So far I've been doing everything on my desktop with 4GB ram.  It obviously struggles with my work load, but most of the time has been usable.  I figure if I've been able to get by this long with 4, then hopefully 8 will do it. 

Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p

Clevo W740SU

How do the two compare?

Holy_Moses

• Operator
  • I'm still here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 10:37:50 pm »

I'm looking at closer to $1,000 though.  Ideally it could run Winamp, Minecraft, Photoshop and several open tabs in Firefox at the same time without crashing or freezing.

So far I've been doing everything on my desktop with 4GB ram.  It obviously struggles with my work load, but most of the time has been usable.  I figure if I've been able to get by this long with 4, then hopefully 8 will do it.  

Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p

Clevo W740SU

How do the two compare?

I've played witht the Ideapad (friend has it) handles demanding games like farcry3 and crysis 3 very well.
IG - @oem_moses

OzzyKP

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 03:00:39 am »
Thanks for the advice, I bought it!