April 19, 2024, 04:33:26 am

Author Topic: Compensation for "erased" book  (Read 5652 times)

PokeyzRule

• IGN: chinesehorse
    • View Profile
Compensation for "erased" book
« on: June 11, 2013, 10:47:45 pm »
I think what would be a great idea is that IF your enchanted book or written book gets erased, you can obtain another book or book and quill for free, because it's kind of unfair for some people to lose books, especially because leather is somewhat rare in Opticraft. Thanks for taking your time to read this!

-chinesehorse
Quote from: Winston Churchill
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.
Mew York
Get Razer Game Booster for free now!

iGenerator

• Super Trusted
  • Champion Member
  • Mayor of Rosenberg
    • View Profile
    • Steam
Re: Compensation for "erased" book
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 11:05:09 pm »
It is a bukkit bug we can't help if it happens
Major Igenerator
City Planner for Stuttgart

DP

TarynMai

• Admin
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 11:45:20 pm »
We wouldnt have anyway to prove what book it was. If we did that, you could easily get a bunch of books from us that you shouldnt have.

PokeyzRule

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 12:10:56 am »
I was thinking as a trade in, because when enchanted books get magically erased, it keeps it's glow and the name is Enchanted Book... And for a book, it's just empty...
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.
Mew York

andersad

• Get out there and live!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 01:01:31 am »
      How about we have it not erased in the first place?

#1. Never log out with a written or enchanted book in your inv
#2. Thats all I got....  :P
Opticraft- Best SMP server EVER
Go get em' :)

TarynMai

• Admin
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 03:19:44 am »
It does it with chests too.

zwaan111

• SMP - trusted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 05:24:19 am »
they stay good in the enderchest. it is what alicia says, if a for2 book gets wiped, then you could just say that it was for3 and get a better book then what you had.

SalsaInABowl

• AKA SalsaOnTheFloor
  • Champion Member
  • Retired. Find me on Steam or IG.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 06:06:28 am »
I was thinking as a trade in, because when enchanted books get magically erased, it keeps it's glow and the name is Enchanted Book... And for a book, it's just empty...

Even when it just says "Enchanted Book" there is no way to tell what it was before. There isn't enough information.
I don't play Minecraft anymore and hardly come back to these forums. If you want to contact me, find me on Steam or Instagram. Username for everything is SalsaInABowl.

DeeKay

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 06:21:18 am »
An even better suggestion would be to fix the bug.
I really doubt the bukkit team would have left a bug like this in the code for so long.

I was talking to the Bukkit Admin NuclearW a while ago about this bug, and he said he had no knowledge on it, nor did he know that it ever existed. That means only a plugin we're running could affect books and cause this bug.
I also did some research on it, and I found out that an old version of the plugin dynmap would cause books to erase, because of the way it scans the map to display it on the livemap (it's more complicated than that)

Since we don't use dynmap, my only possible guess is that our livemap is doing a similar thing. But that's just my guess, and it could be something totally different.

PokeyzRule

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 12:48:33 pm »
What i mean is get a non enchanted book to enchant again... Sorry i hadn't explained it more earlier... lol
Mew York

Zezenov

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 02:58:56 pm »
I feel your pain.  I lost the original copy of the Pibbert bible to this.  Most unfortunate.

gavin1928374655

• Sexy Mermaid
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 12:01:44 am »
I really doubt the bukkit team would have left a bug like this in the code for so long.

I was talking to the Bukkit Admin NuclearW a while ago about this bug, and he said he had no knowledge on it, nor did he know that it ever existed. That means only a plugin we're running could affect books and cause this bug.
I also did some research on it, and I found out that an old version of the plugin dynmap would cause books to erase, because of the way it scans the map to display it on the livemap (it's more complicated than that)

Since we don't use dynmap, my only possible guess is that our livemap is doing a similar thing. But that's just my guess, and it could be something totally different.

The other day before the livemap updated a book of mine in a chest was fine, today after the livemap updated it was erased. I hadn't taken it out of the chest, the render seems to have broken it. Odd coincidence or your theory is sound, just what happened to me. I dont care about the book anywho, i have plenty more.

Wyboth

• Champion Member
  • No longer active - contact me on Reddit.
    • View Profile
    • Contact me via reddit
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 02:20:11 am »
I dont care about the book anywho, i have plenty more.

You might want to check those books, too.

I am inactive. Click here to send me a message that I'll actually see.

frobalt

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2013, 03:05:21 pm »

You're right, it most likely is a plugin.

From what I can gather, Bukkit itself doesn't really have features that affect the game world. Bukkit just makes it easier to have plugins on a server

More often than not, bugs that occur because of bukkit will be a plugin.

Might be worth having a list of all known bugs associated with bukkit plugins so that way it's easier for people to see what bugs they can expect, will (hopefully) prevent people opening support topics about them, and with any luck having a centralised list might see the bugs fixed.

PokeyzRule

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2013, 11:59:40 pm »
This is kinda getting off the point... so lemme summarize this post :)

I was thinking for the erased books, you could get a book back, for example

Enchanted book is erased
Get blank book to enchant again back, if you get a better enchant, yay, if you don't ur lucky you even got 1 back

Is written book is erased, get book and quill, and rewrite the whole book again
Mew York