April 27, 2024, 05:08:54 pm

Author Topic: Donation idea - Jetpacks  (Read 8069 times)

PokeyzRule

• IGN: chinesehorse
    • View Profile
Re: Donation idea - Jetpacks
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2013, 10:58:56 pm »
I like the idea, but this goes away from the idea of survival. Its clear that we arent completely a survival server, with pvp, mob damage and opening other's chests off. But adding jetpacks would really digress from the loosely followed idea of survival held here. Interesting idea tho
Just saw gav's post, he made a very good point by saying that.

Actually, this is a very good idea. It is not overpowered like some suggestions can be. This presents fair and equal time and it waould be VERY handy for building things as Spikey said. I like the idea how normal crouch will still work and stuff. But we must also remember the downsides of this perk. People could use it to fly into a private area someone doesnt want you in and is too big to put a roof on (ex:NPC Village). Despite this I believe it would be better to have this than to not. I was recently building a Lighthouse (for a build competition) and it was REALLY difficult to get up and down it. This would make it where I could atleast get up to the top instead of risking my life on stairs (:P). daniblue was a person building next to me. As we should all know, he is a mod. I saw how easily it was for him to make a really high project compared to me. He and I had a good laugh when I was attempting to crouch and jump around some corners (no joke, ask him it was funny). So, overall, I believe this is a good idea to add on to commands for the server. But I am assuming that this would be a donor perk (I may be wrong). Sadly, my parents won't let me donate, although I have tons of $ and nothing to do with it. So, I think the staff should consider this anyways.
lol Daniblue is a girl btw
Phew... I thought i was wrong for a sec lol
Quote from: Winston Churchill
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.
Mew York
Get Razer Game Booster for free now!

Chief149

• Oppan Gangnam Style
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2013, 08:48:07 pm »
I like the idea! But maybe instead of SHIFT, you could change the key in which to use the jetpack, like /jetpack key <key>
but yea

Trust me, I wanted to use jumping as the trigger for the jetpack, but there isn't really a player jump event in the bukkit library. Even if there was, there wouldn't be a way to get the state of the player's space bar. Really there isn't a way to get the state of the player's shift key either, but we just assume shift is being pressed when the player crouches (which it is). Plus crouching is a state which you can hold unlike jumping which is nothing more than a burst of velocity in the +Y direction.

Also, if you look a few posts up I posted a link to another thread. In the other thread is a rough version of the jetpacks implementation I'm talking about.

Best griefer name ^

PokeyzRule

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2013, 01:04:27 am »
I like the idea! But maybe instead of SHIFT, you could change the key in which to use the jetpack, like /jetpack key <key>
but yea

Trust me, I wanted to use jumping as the trigger for the jetpack, but there isn't really a player jump event in the bukkit library. Even if there was, there wouldn't be a way to get the state of the player's space bar. Really there isn't a way to get the state of the player's shift key either, but we just assume shift is being pressed when the player crouches (which it is). Plus crouching is a state which you can hold unlike jumping which is nothing more than a burst of velocity in the +Y direction.

Also, if you look a few posts up I posted a link to another thread. In the other thread is a rough version of the jetpacks implementation I'm talking about.
I have NOOOOOOOO idea what the hell you're talking about, but something about spaces not working for the key to fly? Well it would be awesome to double-tap space and you would fly, just like creative mode fly :)
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.
Mew York

Chief149

• Oppan Gangnam Style
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2013, 01:58:35 am »
No no, I wasn't trying to suggest creative mode flying at all on the server. This jetpack plugin would give you upwards propulsion when you sneak (provided you toggled your jetpack on using the /jetpack command), but it wouldn't just hold you up in the air. If you aren't using the jetpack, then gravity takes over and begins to make you fall again. If you don't slow down your descent enough then you will take fall damage when you hit the ground. Just like real life lol.

Best griefer name ^

PokeyzRule

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2013, 02:25:18 am »
No no, I wasn't trying to suggest creative mode flying at all on the server. This jetpack plugin would give you upwards propulsion when you sneak (provided you toggled your jetpack on using the /jetpack command), but it wouldn't just hold you up in the air. If you aren't using the jetpack, then gravity takes over and begins to make you fall again. If you don't slow down your descent enough then you will take fall damage when you hit the ground. Just like real life lol.
I get it now... :) so like technically only fly up and not fly down?
Mew York

Chief149

• Oppan Gangnam Style
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2013, 02:44:26 am »
Yeah. The jetpack would not fly you down, or allow you to float. If you want to fly in one place you would have to press and release shift repeatedly, and you would have to time your presses/releases a certain way to stay in 1 place.

Of course there's also fuel. The rough draft of a plugin I made is set to where you can fly for a continuous 10 seconds if your jetpack is charged to 100%. This means holding shift down for 10 seconds straight. When you run out of fuel, you wont be able to turn your jetpack back on until it charges to at least 5% which takes 3 seconds. Better not be too close to the ground for that one because you will need your jetpack to slow yourself down before you hit the ground or broken legs lol.

If you drain your jetpack to 0%, it will take 1 full minute to fully recharge back to 100%.

Best griefer name ^

gavin1928374655

• Sexy Mermaid
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2013, 12:23:29 am »
if there was ever a donation fly pack (which i doubt) it would probably be just normal flying. All this is just unnecssary clutter and annoyance. Being able to fly for 10 seconds by shifting wouldnt be good for building it would be good for trolling / surviving falls. I dislike this idea in a whole as it goes away from the entire aspect of building in survival minecraft.

Nhataley

• ^ First Profile Pic in a long time. Thanks Zera!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2013, 06:29:06 am »
Personally I would never donate for this. Because like gavin said it is ruining the aspect of survival building, And even if it was to survive a fall that would ruin the aspect of survival aswell. I do not support this.

jcgaming

• SMP trusted
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2013, 10:41:09 am »
same opinion here ruins the point of survival and its also one of the perks for mods and up

iGenerator

• Super Trusted
  • Champion Member
  • Mayor of Rosenberg
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2013, 03:44:29 pm »
same opinion here ruins the point of survival and its also one of the perks for mods and up
Very nicely put
Major Igenerator
City Planner for Stuttgart

DP

hennydeez

• aka Henz
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2013, 05:27:49 pm »

There's a difference between jetpack and fly, fly has no constraints unlike jetpack.