March 29, 2024, 01:29:33 pm

Author Topic: Nether Quartz  (Read 9810 times)

Selkon_Hunter

• View Profile
Nether Quartz
« on: January 04, 2013, 04:45:55 am »
I thought this thread would make for some useful discussion. The next update will include a new ore which will only be found in the nether. This ore, nether quartz, will be integral to the production of daylight sensors and comparators, which are also new in the update. Because we just added two new nethers, only previously unloaded chunks from these nethers will produce the highly valuable ore. Thoughts?

Link to snapshot 13w01a:
http://www.mojang.com/2013/01/minecraft-snapshot-13w01a/
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 04:50:45 am by Selkon_Hunter »

CazualxGrenade

• Feelin βίος
    • View Profile
Re: Nether Quartz
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 04:49:04 am »
Our only hope is, hopefully no one discovers ALL of the nether. This ore will be valuable or otherwise it will be bought at the market. So don't discover all of the nether people!
Bacon!
Message me for your random food for the day lol.

Chief149

• Oppan Gangnam Style
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 04:49:45 am »
Isn't the nether fully explored to its borders by now?

Secondly, I think the chunks where players haven't built their own houses on in the new nether as well as chunks with abandoned structures in the old nether should be removed and reloaded (which should be possible with a plugin). It would be nice to use the new ore.

Best griefer name ^

SalsaInABowl

• AKA SalsaOnTheFloor
  • Champion Member
  • Retired. Find me on Steam or IG.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 04:50:56 am »
Expand world borders. Easier said than done, but problem solved.
I don't play Minecraft anymore and hardly come back to these forums. If you want to contact me, find me on Steam or Instagram. Username for everything is SalsaInABowl.

Chief149

• Oppan Gangnam Style
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 05:10:49 am »
Perhaps I should also mention that in the next update redstone will no longer be the usual redstone we know and love.

You see, it used to be that redstone signal had an intensity, and if there was any signal strength/intensity then it was considered ON. Now redstone is being changed to be an analog signal. Now a true analog signal is simply a transverse electrical wave. In minecraft it is based on intensity.

Take the daylight sensor for example... At midday the sensor will output a signal which can span 15 blocks. At the evening time the signal will only travel 5 blocks.

The redstone comparator will only repeat the stronger of the two signals it receives.

This will expand redstone systems by a long shot. Technically a keypad combo system could now be made with only 1 long line of redstone coming from a string of multiple buttons. The one line of redstone would have multiple sensors along the length. If the 9 button is pressed then only the first of 9 sensors will pick it up from the one input line. Press the 1 button and the signal will be so strong that the last sensor will pick up the signal. Confusing I know, and this will be a huge change in the redstone physics, but I can't wait. I'm fairly decent with real life circuitry so this will be a cinch XD

Best griefer name ^

Nhataley

• ^ First Profile Pic in a long time. Thanks Zera!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 05:17:52 am »
It probbably won't be all discovered

High Roller

• SMP Trusted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 10:53:54 pm »
Trust me all of the nether has been discovered as I went on an expedition around the borders in all 3 worlds
im so sorry for this. my cock had a huge erection and it made an unpredictable growth and hit my keyboard. and then it spelled out a bad word that somebody banned me for. dont worry, my cock is being severely punished.

Wyboth

• Champion Member
  • No longer active - contact me on Reddit.
    • View Profile
    • Contact me via reddit
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 11:36:58 pm »
I don't think loading the chunks is a solution. I could be wrong, but I think that any nether generated before the update won't contain quartz, no matter how much is explored.

I am inactive. Click here to send me a message that I'll actually see.

hennydeez

• aka Henz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 12:07:19 am »
I don't think loading the chunks is a solution. I could be wrong, but I think that any nether generated before the update won't contain quartz, no matter how much is explored.

That's wrong.
I'm pretty sure some areas that are not generated before 1.4.7, will consist of Nether Ores.

Wyboth

• Champion Member
  • No longer active - contact me on Reddit.
    • View Profile
    • Contact me via reddit
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 12:16:13 am »

That's wrong.
I'm pretty sure some areas that are not generated before 1.4.7, will consist of Nether Ores.
I apologize for the error and am issuing a high profile correction concerning my previous comment.

I am inactive. Click here to send me a message that I'll actually see.

joshskiizz

• The Hispanic Moderator
  • screw you guys I'm going home
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 02:15:11 am »
Tiggy probably loaded every chunk in the Nether, lol.

Chief149

• Oppan Gangnam Style
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 02:33:28 am »
No, world generation is randomly done at runtime based on a seed. Chunks made after the update (in unexplored areas) will contain it. If the chunks can be erased from the map and regenerated, then the full nether will have the ores.

Best griefer name ^

Morrison1996

• I am the spawn of 2 worlds. I AM SlenderBrine.
  • Former moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 03:24:02 am »
I like chief's first idea. Although wolfer and I have a efficient balze spawner deign in the first guest nether, if we to just re gen the first nether that could be considered a nether mine and just be periodically regenerated. Or like always for the stuff we can't feasibly get the market is probably the answer.

Saeberus

• Tempus Edax Rerum
  • Operator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2013, 02:53:24 am »
I think adding it to the market once it's released would be the best and easiest choice, much like the way we added anvils to the market. They would be priced rather low due to how common they are. I also don't think it would take away from the game as some people would say considering we already get diamonds for voting, a commodity that was intended to be rare.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 02:56:42 am by Saeberus »

Selkon_Hunter

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2013, 03:32:52 am »
I think adding it to the market once it's released would be the best and easiest choice, much like the way we added anvils to the market. They would be priced rather low due to how common they are. I also don't think it would take away from the game as some people would say considering we already get diamonds for voting, a commodity that was intended to be rare.

We added anvils to the market? They are craftable! >:( Of course, we also offer various armor sets, including chain which is otherwise unobtainable at this point. :-\ Yes the market is an easy out, and might be best considering it is so easy. But if this server is about survival, then perhaps having a nether or two regenerated might be better. I imagine that not much has yet been built in the new guest nether other than some structures to claim blaze spawners, so I would think that to be the best place for a complete wipe. Again, I do not know if someone has built a house or not, I made an assumption for the purposes of discussion. Chief's idea is also an excellent, though perhaps not quite as simple, solution.

Also to consider, given the abundance of the ore and its high value in making new redstone items, its price for buying and selling is going to have a slight effect on the economy. Mining in the nether is much faster due to the large exposed areas and the ease with which netherack breaks even under an unenchanted pickaxe. If any portion of the nether is regenerated, it is going to be mined to heck.  :P