May 02, 2024, 11:37:34 am

Author Topic: Ugly Sky structures  (Read 5202 times)

CaptainXV

• View Profile
Ugly Sky structures
« on: January 03, 2013, 12:55:19 pm »
Ugly Sky Castles/Cities

I remember there being an (unspoken) rule in Classic , that you weren't allowed to build sky castles. This was because it would leave an immense shadow underneath it, messing up the shading of the buildings on the ground.

I believe that this rule should be added to the smp server. I have seen many ugly places where people start making a
flat land in the sky:
Some examples:
-http://smp.opticraft.net/map/#/3370/64/3320/-2/1/0
-http://smp.opticraft.net/map/#/-3741/64/5585/-3/0/0

I don't see why people would want to make these kind of buildings. Maybe because it protects them from griefers?
Or maybe because they are just too lazy to clear the land?

Either way, it makes very annoying and ugly structures. If you walk underneath them you'll be harrased by an army of creepers, zombies and skeletons, who happily keep on spawning in the dark.
Also, it makes ugly black spots on the live map that distract your attention.

I'm suggesting that this should be added as a rules: NO UGLY SKY STRUCTURES
It really makes the beautifull landscape look so much worse.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 01:01:10 pm by captainxv »
The sentence beneath this one is true
The sentence above this one is false

☣2crzy4uall☣

• Professional Redstoner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
Re: Ugly Sky structures
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 02:56:44 pm »
While I agree that they really are silly. And not at all attractive underneath, however, I don't think we should be limiting the types of builds people can make.

CaptainXV

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 03:15:40 pm »
I am not talking about limiting the type of builds people can make. What I am referring to are buildings that you can perfectly make on land. If you want to make something like the new spawn or a castle in clouds, that's perfectly fine because it makes sense. But building a flat land in the sky and start building on top of that is just too silly.

cschurz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 03:20:18 pm »
i agree that they look pretty bad, but what would we do with all of the existing sky structures? we can't just tell people to rip down their established builds.

CaptainXV

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 03:22:34 pm »
Ofcourse there's no need to destroy already build structures. That's not what I want at all. Just make it a guideline from now on.

arsenic_shark

• If you need me, I have a PM ;)
    • View Profile
    • My twitter
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 03:57:13 pm »
The world "ugly" is an opinion. Much like art, what someone thinks is ugly someone else might think is cool, amazing.

You cannot have rules based on opinions, it must be fact. Find a way to categorise builds and this might be possible, but right now I don't think it is very feasible

CaptainXV

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 04:05:05 pm »
There definetely was (or still is) a classic rule called: no ugly sky structures.
It wasn't a problem on classic so why would it be on smp?

But I kinda share your opinion. They could be classified as "structures that you a perfectly able to make on land and have no place in the sky" or something or the guideline could be called "don't build flat lands in the sky, there is enough to go around on the ground"

tiggy26668

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 06:10:23 pm »
so I hate tacky floating flat squares as much as anyone. The ones people build on top of oceans are equally unattractive.

But here's the thing.... It's an smp server.... Not a building server....
Honestly because of that there's really no reason to regulate buildings of any kind, short of offensive structures which fall under another category entirely....

it would go against the current "survival" goal of the server to say you can't survive in a floating platform because it looks ugly..

so yea I can't stand them and think they're hideous, but there's no reason to regulate builds like that....
And if we were to start.....
Can I haz crafter nao plz?....  ;D
I'm Much more smarter admin than whoever banned me.

Nhataley

• ^ First Profile Pic in a long time. Thanks Zera!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 06:55:24 pm »
I've seen Some places near me where I want to build. And I just ask a mod to see If the User has been Perma Banned for a while and won't get back on, And If so they say yes or no. If the user is still active ask them If you can remove it.

Also if it's just flying like that you can put a wall around it so it look normal. My place is like the 1 example (This). I just placed a wall around it and looks normal.

LIEKABOWSE

• Panda Trueno?!
    • View Profile
    • My PlanetMinecraft account
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 07:44:53 pm »
I can agree with this, but as Arsenic said, "ugly" is an opinion. I was working on my town and I just saw this guest making a cobblestone box in the middle of the lake. Frankly, I was pretty ticked considering that its not that big of a lake, and then theres just this roughly 15x15 cobblestone box in the middle of it. I wanted to ask a mod if I could remove it, but I see this guest in it alot. Frankly, I think this could be useful but why limit people? they're doing what they can do to survive.

Chief149

• Oppan Gangnam Style
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 07:53:09 pm »
Just do what Nhataley said. Either build the giant wall, or get permission to remove the structure or have an OP do it (that is of course only if the owner of the sky structure is perma banned or has left never to return).

Best griefer name ^

iGenerator

• Super Trusted
  • Champion Member
  • Mayor of Rosenberg
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 09:35:12 pm »
I would be fine if it was suggested that you not build in the sky as it does not seem realistic but people will not enforce it due to feeling bad telling people not to do something that they think is attractive. But meh, on classic it was because of the small world size (512x512) compared to the thousands or blocks of almost infinite amount of land on SMP. When someone would build one of these builds there it would make the area below the build unusable.
Major Igenerator
City Planner for Stuttgart

DP

Xeadin

• Board Gamer
  • Champion Member
  • dip dip dip dip dip
    • View Profile
    • @Xeadin
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 10:12:06 pm »
On classic, the term was sky platforms, because people kept on towering up to the sky limit and building little platforms right at the limit, which made them look just as bad as the towers that led up to them.

In SMP, people are building sky cities and adding stuff to them. There are a number of decent sky cities, but I would have to agree that a few of them would be better off built on the ground. However, these are the individual's own decisions, and we are not going to tell them, "you can't do that."

I would prefer to see nicer floating cities, and I'm sure many others are on the same boat, but let people do as they will. A current solution to the dark areas underneath would be to light the area to the best of your ability.

RuthlessTomato

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 10:44:07 pm »
I have a sky fort with a few friends in the old guest, but everyone living nearby (/cinfo and /seen) is inactive and has been for 6 months +. The area is heavily griefed so the ground is unusable.

Nyssa

• dedlymagik
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 10:55:45 pm »
The fact of the matter is, Classic is for building, SMP is for surviving it isn't now nor has it ever been a creative server. People can build nice things if they want, but it's not a requirement.