May 01, 2024, 11:23:10 pm

Author Topic: /Dissappear Not Entirely Failproof  (Read 1832 times)

Wyboth

• Champion Member
  • No longer active - contact me on Reddit.
    • View Profile
    • Contact me via reddit
/Dissappear Not Entirely Failproof
« on: January 03, 2013, 03:29:10 am »
I've been hearing claims that when players type /nearby and a disappeared mod is close, it shows their name and that when typing in local and a disappeared mod is close, it does not say "No one hears you." I decided to test this for myself to see if there is any way for a player to tell if a disappeared mod is nearby. Here are my results:

/Nearby gives the name: FALSE. Even though a disappeared mod was standing right next to me, /nearby still said "None!"

Chatting in local doesn't say "No one hears you": TRUE. With a disappeared mod standing right next to me, saying a line in local chat did not say "No one hears you." It said nothing, meaning that another player received the message.

Conclusion: This is a problem. Disappeared mods should not be able to be detected in any way, especially by players trying to avoid the law. Since there is a way for disappeared mods to be detected, this means that griefers could type lines into local chat and skedaddle when "No one hears you" doesn't show up. I believe this should be fixed as soon as possible to make moderation more effective.

Special thanks to Kodak28 for helping me with the test.

I am inactive. Click here to send me a message that I'll actually see.

DJAlphaWolf

• Former "Super Recruit"
  • Champion Member
  • Self Proclaimed Opticraft Entertainer
    • View Profile
Re: /Dissappear Not Entirely Failproof
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 03:39:56 am »
Well done.

And nice mythbusters theme you got going there... "going to test the validity of several myths".

Xeadin

• Board Gamer
  • Champion Member
  • dip dip dip dip dip
    • View Profile
    • @Xeadin
Re: /Dissappear Not Entirely Failproof
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 03:59:54 am »
http://www.opticraft.net/index.php/topic,15544.0.html

There is already a topic that has discussed about it, but I appreciate the effort you put in to test this theory.