April 29, 2024, 11:53:12 am

Author Topic: Default Chat Channel  (Read 7530 times)

Pugabyte

• Haider
    • View Profile
Default Chat Channel
« on: September 24, 2012, 03:39:13 pm »
The other day, I was bored. Like REALLY bored. So I decided to go to the spawn and talk to the noobs. Just as I warped in, someone was shouting, "Why won’t anyone answer me!" I don’t remember his name; it was some random jumble of letters and numbers. I responded "Hey, I’m here, can I help you?" he then asked were he could go to build and create and all that shiz. I politely showed him a place that was fairly deserted were he could mine a few dirt and cobble and make a nice little house. I liked this kid, but he was kinda P.O. because his first impression of the server was that everyone ignored the noobs. I explained to him the channels, and he lightened up. So, I came up with an idea.

My idea is that instead of having the default channel set to Local for when you first ever spawn in the game, have it set to global. I know that the channels are listed on the signs for noobs to read, but who really reads them the very first time they come in? Well the answer is very few. I didn’t even read them for the first time until like 2 weeks after I joined. The reason why I think that the default channel is better as Global is because players get a good first impression of the server, which means a lot. They will be answered by other players, instead of shouting and yelling, then leaving because they don’t like the server. I think it will not only increase players play on the server, which I’m sure optical would like, it might also make the more trustworthy. I’m not saying to make them trusted right away, I mean they would have a smaller chance to grief or spam because they would like the server.

I realize that Optical may not have the power to set the default channel, but I don’t know that. I’m going to hope that he does have the power to do that, if we decide that Global should be the default channel.

Thank you for reading this, and please share your ideas/comments.

Mopar :D
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 07:06:04 am by Xeadin »

Xeadin

• Board Gamer
  • Champion Member
  • dip dip dip dip dip
    • View Profile
    • @Xeadin
Re: Defualt Chat Channel
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 03:48:11 pm »
More often than not, there is a lot of spam and cursing that comes from many guests than one might think (this was way before HeroChat and the different channels were even implemented). It would be nice to have a staff member stand around at the spawn to filter out the bad people from the good using Local, but that's just not very efficient nor is it any more effective than filtering through Global.

All in all, if we did this, it will just turn this back into "the way the chat was before."

Pugabyte

• Haider
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 04:02:47 pm »
I saw that you were the first one to read this and I was like "Oh no" xD I agree, having a staff stand there and tell the good people how to use the channels would be un-efficient. But, I have another idea, I just came up with. I know, why didn’t I think of this 10 minutes ago... Well I didn’t. So deal.

My new idea would be that instead of it saying "No one can hear you." Have it say something like "No one can hear you. Use Global" don’t say "type /ch g" or anything, say something that the player has to figure out. I know if I was a player that just wanted to get banned from the server instantly for my entertainment, I wouldn’t bother to read anything on how to use global. So that way, it would mostly filter out the spammers and everything I said before would apply.

I’m not saying that this would work for sure, but I have a feeling it would work better than having the good player figure out why everyone is ignoring him.

One last idea I have is to put the Chat channel signs closer to the spawn point or make them stand out more like saying it in capital letters on the top *READ THIS* or something like that. That way players might see it while strolling on down to the market.

I definitely see drawbacks in this like you were saying Xeadin, but I think the outcome would eventually even out or maybe even get more trustworthy players on than stupid spammers.

tylerhan2000

• Don't you trust me? :3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 05:29:49 pm »
It really all depends on the player's first glance at the server. We have tons of signs telling them where to build, but then, we have so many signs that most people don't bother to read them at all.

I think we should make a new spawn area that is a little bit more clear on instructions and that. The current one has been here for a year.

Pugabyte

• Haider
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 05:33:09 pm »
Agreed I think that only the important stuff should remain. I dont think we need a new spawn, but a little reorganizing with the signs would be nice :)

tylerhan2000

• Don't you trust me? :3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 05:50:48 pm »
The "ch g" and switch channels sign is so far back, I doubt anyone actually reads it. Its covered by all the economy and miscellaneous signs.

One more problem, all the warps from spawn take you to a protected area, a deserted town with no one there. I am pretty sure players want to meet others and socialize, how about just plopping them all in a untouched biome somewhere far off and switching the location once in awhile.

ivy2112

• SMP Trusted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 05:56:30 pm »
If i need to say it .....
i didnt read 1 sign at spawn except the first 3 "lol"
My first think of this server was : 'SUCKS" but i joined and a nice person called dragonriko gave me stuff and gave me a nice home .
i decided to stay on the server.
After that i met a lot of nice people and i knew that this server was a great server! with good staff , not that much plugins .
I became trusted and met dragonriko after that all , that was 1 of the most funniest moment of this server :D
what i try to say ....
Stay on the server .meet people and have fun!!!

Pugabyte

• Haider
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 06:39:16 pm »
My first think of this server was : 'SUCKS" but i joined and a nice person called dragonriko gave me stuff and gave me a nice home .
i decided to stay on the server.
After that i met a lot of nice people and i knew that this server was a great server! with good staff , not that much plugins .
This is exactly what kept me playing. I don’t remember the guy’s name, but he helped me out and I started I small town, right next to his home. I still visit that town every once in a while, though it’s completely abandoned. It’s pretty well preserved.

The thing is, so few of the players that join get this experience. Maybe, bringing back the Xeadin comment,
It would be nice to have a staff member stand around at the spawn to filter out the bad people from the good using Local, but that's just not very efficient nor is it any more effective than filtering through Global.

I have no clue if what imp about to say is possible, but it’s worth a shot.

We could have a new channel that is kinda like the staff channel set as the default. (this is hard to put into words, so try your best to follow along) People would volunteer (ima call them the V) (or maybe get a small payment out of it) and whenever someone spawns in the world for the first time, that V would be able to see what they are saying, no matter where they are. The best real world (or as real as it gets for Minecraft) example I can think of is /helpop with the command already typed in for that player. The V would then connect to that channel, or simply stay in global and help that person wherever the V is.  The noob could get advice, answer questions, and anything that the person asks, so long as they are polite. AND (I like this part, u probably will too Xeadin) If the V doesn’t think that the player is trustworthy, he can choose to not talk to him or give him advice. I’m going to do a little example; this might help you get a better vision:
( channel {S] means Spawn channel ./ch s {as long as thats not staff channel command}(i cant do [ S ] Becuase it does this xD))
Freedom10 joined the game.
{S] <freedom10> Is this a no griefing server?
(the V would see that post and could choose to answer, and there is 4 ways to do that: /msg freedom10, global, Spawn channel, or warp to spawn and go local)
{S] <mopar23> Yes griefing is not allowed here
{S] <freedom10> is there PvP?
{S] <mopar23> there is an arena on the way but so far, no.
{S] <freedom10> Why are you the only one answering me?
{S] <mopar23> Its a special channel only a few people hear you.
{S] <freedom10> give me the !*@#ing command for the main channel
{S] <mopar23> I have the right to not tell you the main channel command because I feel u will do no good for the server.
Freedom10 left the game.
[G] <mopar23> ahh i love people like freedom10 :D

Meanwhile, I can go back to global and chat with others, and global posts will be in-between our posts. Again, I have no clue if something like this is possible, but it’s worth a shot suggesting it because it may be possible. If it’s not possible, then I have just wasted 20 minutes of my life.

As you can see, I am thinking of many new suggestions for this thread. I think that this is as good as its gunna get. having a channel like this would almost certainly increase the number of good players, decrease the number of bad players, and make Opticraft that much better.

Thank you for reading this long a** post, and please comment/question everything on your mind :D

-Mopar
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 06:43:13 pm by mopar23 »

☣2crzy4uall☣

• Professional Redstoner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 07:02:19 pm »
I like the idea of being able to hear all chats, maybe implement it so mods+ can hear all local chat if they choose? Cuz I'd love being able to help people at spawn and such

Pugabyte

• Haider
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 07:06:32 pm »
I like the idea of being able to hear all chats, maybe implement it so mods+ can hear all local chat if they choose? Cuz I'd love being able to help people at spawn and such

i think trusteds should be able to help in some way too, without spending time at the spawn. And i think mods should have the ablillity to see local. I wonder how many people get away with spamming in local when there are no ops on.

FNVcourierjon(SigilStone)

• Champion Member
  • Vault 102 Overseer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 07:54:12 pm »
As someone suggested before, there should be a quiz section of the spawn to see if new players have been reading the rules at spawn.

Pugabyte

• Haider
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 08:02:54 pm »
I went to a server that had a quiz section and i just sawl people blasting through not reading the signs at all... Those dont work unless the are consequenses for choosing the wrong one.

Im getting a little impatient. The only one that has collaborated with my suggestions is Xeadin and 2crzy said a little too. Everyone else is thinking of something else we could do. Please, respond to what i am saying, i want to know if this could be a good thing to add to this server.

FNVcourierjon(SigilStone)

• Champion Member
  • Vault 102 Overseer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2012, 09:44:59 pm »
I mean a quiz in which there are waterways, if you go down the wrong one, the waterway will carry you to the rules area to make you re-read them. 

Anyways, I think the HeroChat plugin should stay.  The "No one hears you" message should be followed by "Use /ch g to talk globaly," as was recently said.

Xeadin

• Board Gamer
  • Champion Member
  • dip dip dip dip dip
    • View Profile
    • @Xeadin
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2012, 09:49:11 pm »
You know, this provoked quite a string of ideas to stream through my head regarding quizzes

I do agree with mopar that people should be able to, at least, be able to communicate with others on the server, since being holed up in a channel with no one to help can be somewhat frustrating for people who don't know what in the world they're doing.

We have to keep in mind, though, that the chat channels was done this way for a reason. As I have mentioned previously, there is a lot of spam and jitter that occurs more often than most people realize.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 09:51:47 pm by Xeadin »

Pugabyte

• Haider
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2012, 10:08:42 pm »
I mean a quiz in which there are waterways, if you go down the wrong one, the waterway will carry you to the rules area to make you re-read them. 

Anyways, I think the HeroChat plugin should stay.  The "No one hears you" message should be followed by "Use /ch g to talk globaly," as was recently said.

1, people will just run straight through, and do trial and error. Quizes are in no way affective for people who do not respect the rules, and only annoy the respectful players.
2, its shouldnt be followed by "use /ch g to talk globaly" because then the spammers just get to annoy 5x as many people. This is what i said erlier:
My new idea would be that instead of it saying "No one can hear you." Have it say something like "No one can hear you. Use Global" don’t say "type /ch g" or anything, say something that the player has to figure out. I know if I was a player that just wanted to get banned from the server instantly for my entertainment, I wouldn’t bother to read anything on how to use global. So that way, it would mostly filter out the spammers and everything I said before would apply.

So, if they are using global, they are most likely a good player becuase they took the time to figure out how to use global.

Xeadin, do you have any knowlegde regarding the post with a new channel suggestion? is that in any way possible?

Thank you,

Mopar