May 01, 2024, 12:51:48 am

Author Topic: The server's future...  (Read 7701 times)

thethermoflux22

• I don't like my username anymore...
    • View Profile
The server's future...
« on: August 16, 2012, 11:00:53 pm »
After the concealment of the classic option on minecraft.net's website, the number and intensity of players coming onto the server is dropping with every passing day.

This is making me worried, as to me it looks like the server is already into it's long and slow death :-[.

Fewer people are going online now, there are like ten people online at a time, the chat line is emptier and there is generally less going on.

If it continues like this, in my opinion, a year down the line there might be only one person online at a time, with almost nothing going on (ops and admins rarely going online and mostly afk if they do) at all. Maybe people will think that they are the only person in the server!

This may sound mad and weird, but I think it is already happening, and it is making me go for Builder and no higher, as there is not much of a real point in furthering my existence on the server.

Please reply!

turtleman918

Re: The server's future...
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 11:19:34 pm »
Classic link is back on the front page. We are down on players though.....

That1Gie

• Just your average gie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 11:38:24 pm »
All good things must come to an end. Let's just make the best of what we have while it's still here.

(click to show/hide)

MegaAero45

• I am Dave! Yognaut
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 11:52:44 pm »
Agreed with that1gie. I know the server is dying and eventually (I don't know when), it will die and go completely inactive.

For whenever that day may come, I must say the Opticraft classic has been one of the most enjoyable experiences on the internet.

We have to bare in mind that Minecraft classic is the oldest verson of Minecraft, and Mojang is slowly losing support of it.

UnknownHedgehog

• Pointy Hedgehog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 11:59:07 pm »
Here's my take on the whole thing. I've told you this already Thermo, but I'll put it on this thread.

The moment when the Classic server started to be "dead" was when they started to reset the list of servers weekly at mc.net. There were moments where the server would be busy, but then the server list would reset and we'd be back at the bottom. And honestly, the server doesn't feel anymore "dead" than it was before the they made the link to Classic more concealed at mc.net. I mean, yes the number of players plummeted when they removed Classic from the front page all together. But then when they put it back on there, they came back.

I don't know if I'm right about this, but don't usually the newer players play on the servers that are free-for-all with no rules or any of that? Because, right now, there are about 90 people on a free-for-all server. And unfortunately, T9K have 60+.

So people do still play Classic, but the server list resetting keeps refreshing us to the lower spots.
And T9K somehow knows how to keep the players coming back to Classic somehow. -_-
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 03:44:05 am by UnknownHedgehog »

Mr.Monkey

• Nomnom
  • 2D artist
    • View Profile
    • minecraft pictures
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 12:10:33 am »
I think as long as we have the regular members joining it won't die so quickly. We just need a few dedicated people that keep the server a bit lively during the evenings. And, in case it does happen to die, it would be pretty cool to have a creative server instead, with ranks like the classic one :)

We might consider lowering our standards for a while to get more members. Not saying we should let all the noobs get builder now, but we might be a bit easier on them, and make sure there's enough free space for them to build. Also when I'm on during my morning, there's never any operators on. If we want to have global cover, we need to have some operators on in the morning to get some new members from those timezones. It's around midnight for North America, ~8-10am in Europe.

About T9K, they are a gaming community with lots of games, not just minecraft. They get lots of their players from other games too. Maybe it is time we start promoting the classic server in the smp, just like we promote the smp in classic.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

UnknownHedgehog

• Pointy Hedgehog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 12:26:00 am »
About T9K, they are a gaming community with lots of games, not just minecraft. They get lots of their players from other games too. Maybe it is time we start promoting the classic server in the smp, just like we promote the smp in classic.

That's been brought before on Classic chat. I personally think that's a great idea.
Since there is no creative server, Classic is the only option, we could promote Classic on smp.

iGenerator

• Super Trusted
  • Champion Member
  • Mayor of Rosenberg
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 02:47:49 am »
Opticraft is still one of the highest on the Minecraft.net lists if people sort by uptime country or player cap. It bounces back just takes time.
Major Igenerator
City Planner for Stuttgart

DP

Wyboth

• Champion Member
  • No longer active - contact me on Reddit.
    • View Profile
    • Contact me via reddit
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 02:48:13 am »

That's been brought before on Classic chat. I personally think that's a great idea.
Since there is no creative server, Classic is the only option, we could promote Classic on smp.
I fully support this. People won't find Classic on their own, but they will find SMP, and if they don't like the survival aspect, they can come to classic. Aweosme idea.

I am inactive. Click here to send me a message that I'll actually see.

Tobs

• Senior Staff
  • Administrator
  • Champion Member
  • Banhammers must be worn at all times!
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 07:54:42 am »
It would be expect for classic to become "dead" at some point. If you look at it from Mojang's point of view, you want to give new players a good impression of what Minecraft has to offer so they will purchase the full game on their account. I know many people that have been turned away from Minecraft just because of what classic was like, having a demo makes a whole lot nicer experience when playing.

So many good times in classic over the years, I definitely will keep going on it. I believe it costs optical very little to keep the classic server running so no doubt that it will stay up for some time yet. But this does mean one thing... NO GRIEFERS ON CLASSIC!

clawstrider

• The Clawsome One
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 08:44:04 am »
So people do still play Classic, but the server list resetting keeps refreshing us to the lower spots.
And T9K somehow knows how to keep the players coming back to Classic somehow. -_-

I'll tell you how T9K gets players to return. The whole T9K experiance is based around classic, their SMP server is MUCH smaller. On Opti, the front page is filled with SMP, everything is filled with SMP.

If I'm honest, I support Monkey's view, of a creative server, with ranks like, or similar to, classic (Always day, flat land, with bit bigger worlds, or zones with warps to them or something). I think the advantage of having much more blocks, a decent staffing system, a more active community and possibly a world for redstone will tempt many more players, from normal survival players who want to test builds, to the classic players who want to continue building. Note 2 things I think should happen: 1. Sand physics should be off. 2. All builder and crafter and donation worlds, and maybe recruit worlds should be ported to the new server.

arsenic_shark

• If you need me, I have a PM ;)
    • View Profile
    • My twitter
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 09:00:34 am »
The thing is SMP brings in more money than Classic, hence why its on the front page.

The idea of a classic like SMP server wont ever been hosted by Opti, in my opinion, but as lumi said that he was going to create server with a plugin that could catch Opti's eye.

But for now I dont think Classic will die. As when smaller servers die off first, most players will find another server which would normally be on of the high ones. This means more players will always join.

raul7legend

• Israeli Operator
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 09:02:37 am »
As long as the server is up, classic will stay. Optical has no intentions of closing classic as of now

gameguy96

• the croperator
  • crafter.. operator... crazy person...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 09:42:46 am »
but a promotion boost will have good work, we need some inprovements.. but what?

Alpha_Lance

• There are kittens and puppies falling from the sky
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2012, 10:08:54 am »
You all talked about why we are low on our usual count of members on Classic, but everyone here forgot 2 important facts.

1. Majority of the classic members are ages 15 and under.
2. Summer Vacation has ended. School has begun (Exception being some schools start up in September instead of August.)

Sorry to say, but... Well, expect a larger decline of players by the 7th of September. When weekend homework/projects begin to pile up.
"That's why we must form an army and make them wish they had never been rendered."

Logic over emotion in my reasons. Good luck to those who rage over my decisions.