May 01, 2024, 01:56:03 am

Author Topic: Doing angles/polygons/polyhedrons  (Read 1510 times)

thethermoflux22

• I don't like my username anymore...
    • View Profile
Doing angles/polygons/polyhedrons
« on: August 11, 2012, 12:06:57 pm »
Does anyone know how I can make angled lines and structures, or some application that I can use easily to achieve that?

The reason is I am looking for ways to do certain polygons and polyhedrons for my builder application, so I can incorporate them into it ( the OTC is not derelict, I think there is nothing I can do about it to get builder rank).

Any help is great, I have been searching the web for days in trying to find ways to do this!

Mr.Monkey

• Nomnom
  • 2D artist
    • View Profile
    • minecraft pictures
Re: Doing angles/polygons/polyhedrons
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 02:13:35 pm »
I can recommend using a 3d-modeler like sketch-up and a voxelizer like binvox or an image editor, like gimp.

First you make your model with sketch-up, which shouldn't be too hard if you know all the angles you're working with. Then you export it as a .obj (you'll need sketch-up pro for that, but I'm sure you can find a way to get hold of that) and run it through the voxelizer with your desired dimension, or you can go the hard way and measure your entire model and draw it in your preferred image editor to get the pixely lines you can make in minecraft.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Wyboth

• Champion Member
  • No longer active - contact me on Reddit.
    • View Profile
    • Contact me via reddit
Re: Doing angles/polygons/polyhedrons
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 02:52:17 pm »
There's an easier way to makes plain circles and spheres.
For circles, go to MS Paint and zoom to 800%. Then, zelect the circle tool and make sure it is on the lowest thickness. Draw a circle with the desired diameter (you can see paint telling you the height and width in the bottom right corner). Now copy each pixel into minecraft as a block, and you have your circle.
For a sphere, go to http://www.plotz.co.uk/plotz.php and put in the diameter you want. It makes a sphere for you, so just copy it into Minecraft.
For your other shapes, you probably will have to use binvox, but if you don't want to buy Sketch-Up Pro then you can use a free 3D modeling software called blender. It might be a little bit harder to use, but it is free and its .obj files should work just fine for our purposes. Alternatively, you could search for a free 3D model of the polygon you want in .obj format, and binvox that, but I cannot guaruntee any results there.
Hope this helped!

I am inactive. Click here to send me a message that I'll actually see.