April 28, 2024, 05:23:16 pm

Author Topic: AFK Kicking  (Read 7099 times)

TarynMai

• Admin
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
AFK Kicking
« on: July 31, 2012, 10:02:17 pm »
Ivy2112 posted a helpop that it was insanely laggy where he was, and when I teleported to him, I was running at 0 fps until I crashed (did this 3-4 times). We realized that someone had afk'd at a spawner for over 2 hours. I'm not even fully sure now many mobs were there, but it was at least 1000. I think we need an afk automatic kicker like we have on classic. It would be really helpful and reduce lag.

Chipaton

• Young One
    • View Profile
Re: AFK Kicking
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 10:07:10 pm »
Ivy beat you to posting this! Also, I agree with this.

TarynMai

• Admin
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 10:08:18 pm »
So I see. lol

optical

• Administrator
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 10:24:52 pm »
What we really need is something which prevents this from happening, as it makes the entire server lag.

TarynMai

• Admin
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 10:27:17 pm »
What we really need is something which prevents this from happening, as it makes the entire server lag.
Maybe make it so that only a certain amount of mobs can spawn/be in one chunk?

arsenic_shark

• If you need me, I have a PM ;)
    • View Profile
    • My twitter
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 10:44:03 pm »
Taken from the minecraft wiki

(click to show/hide)

If it was made possible that Mobs can only spawn on less amount of ticks it may reduce the spawn rate, but Im not sure if that is possible. Even then if a player was afk then they still would spawn lots of Mobs.

If there was a cap on the total number of each type of Mob that could work but then if someone is afking at a blaze spawner and there are 200 there another play would complain about theirs not working.

You could also make it so each mob de-spawns after being alive for 5 minutes. This means someone afking at the spawner for 1 hour would only get 5 minutes of spawned Mobs. Apart from this suggestion I think the only other workable solution would be Alicia's.

D00MKNlGHT

• I don't always kill, if I do it's because u stare
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 10:52:28 pm »
Simplest solution, make the mobs below despawns faster, so the person will not afk long and hence lesser mobs also lesser lag =D

This is as the problem is the lag caused by alarge group of mobs and NOT because a guy isn't doing anything, so mob despawning should solve the problem.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 10:57:09 pm by D00MKNlGHT »
By the way I removed my post, your post made mine look stupid haha.

DeeKay

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 11:43:54 pm »
As well as what everyone else has said, maybe disable item pickup for afk players? Might not take effect on most mob farms, but it could possibly reduce the amount of people afking on the server for auto drops.

tiggy26668

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 11:45:32 pm »
As well as what everyone else has said, maybe disable item pickup for afk players? Might not take effect on most mob farms, but it could possibly reduce the amount of people afking on the server for auto drops.

the only problem with that would be then the items are sitting there lagging away until they despawn.
I'm Much more smarter admin than whoever banned me.

Chief149

• Oppan Gangnam Style
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 11:48:46 pm »
I've had a few times when Im afk in my cactus farm, and the inventory gets full, and then a ton of cactus is at my players feet not being picked up. However even after letting it sit like that for hours (meaning 3 inventories full of cacti would be at my feet in theory) I only ended up picking up 2 to 3 stacks of cacti after selling my inventory in market (I used my second account to prevent the chunks from unloading as well). It appears that once more than 2 or 3 stacks of an item are dropped then they despawn.

Best griefer name ^

tiggy26668

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 11:51:04 pm »
I've had a few times when Im afk in my cactus farm, and the inventory gets full, and then a ton of cactus is at my players feet not being picked up. However even after letting it sit like that for hours (meaning 3 inventories full of cacti would be at my feet in theory) I only ended up picking up 2 to 3 stacks of cacti after selling my inventory in market (I used my second account to prevent the chunks from unloading as well). It appears that once more than 2 or 3 stacks of an item are dropped then they despawn.

that sounds more like the natural despawning + the grouping the server does, course dunno if the despawn count starts at the first or last item grouped, regardless id assume the stacks would despawn based on x amount of time from one of those
I'm Much more smarter admin than whoever banned me.

cschurz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 12:32:21 am »
You could also make it so each mob de-spawns after being alive for 5 minutes. This means someone afking at the spawner for 1 hour would only get 5 minutes of spawned Mobs.

that's honestly a pretty good idea.

optical

• Administrator
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 12:40:51 am »
Indeed, some good idea's here that we were unable to think of. Another solution I thought of may be to limit the number of mobs spawned per spawner at a time to 10 or so. Will take a look at implementing either solution tonight or tomorrow - depending on how busy I am.

D00MKNlGHT

• I don't always kill, if I do it's because u stare
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 12:41:51 am »
You could also make it so each mob de-spawns after being alive for 5 minutes. This means someone afking at the spawner for 1 hour would only get 5 minutes of spawned Mobs.

that's honestly a pretty good idea.
In my opinion the mobs should despawn after half an hour regardless of ur distance from it(spawner mobs)
By the way I removed my post, your post made mine look stupid haha.

xxsssx

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 09:15:14 am »
Some people have 3 or four spawners at same place. So 30 minutes will spawn a lot of mobs.

Mobs should despawn after 10 minutes or max 15 minutes.
XXSSSX