April 28, 2024, 07:38:07 am

Author Topic: All the operators applications  (Read 1282 times)

FeanorAlmighty

All the operators applications
« on: January 09, 2011, 01:27:11 pm »
Hi,

This is Feanor again with his second blog (hurrraaaaay!). This time my blog will focus around the various operator applications and my opinion about it.

The amount of Operator applications is high, very high. In fact it's the highest amount of Operator applications I've ever seen on a server. That's a good thing. It shows that many people care about the server and want to help it. Banning/kicking/undoingactions/promoting are the prior things an Operator is doing (at least a good one :p).

Yet the big amount of applications also comes with a down side: rejected applicants.
It's normal that not everybody can be accepted, because there are several issues Admin+ have to think off.

First issue is trustworthiness. This may sound logical, but the admins+ can't trust everybody. It takes time to be trusted. Options to stimulate your trustworthiness are building nice, detailed buildings combined with a good attitude. If you don't like trying hard for building and you flame a lot in general, you are not the suited person for an operator. Sure you can adjust your attitude temporary, but believe me, you can't do it forever.

Another issue is the 'pyramid of  authority'. It's not something people think of, it's something that's just here and people think about it without knowing.
You can see it as this:

One Owner, a couple of Admins, a bunch of Operators, more Builders, loads of Recruits and a ton of Guests.

If every Operator applicant would be accepted, then the pyramid would go out of balance. This won't have too big effects, but we it would result in a need of builders. If we need builders, the builder worlds will be less stuffed. If the builder worlds are less stuffed, people will be less motivated to go for a promotion because those worlds aren't too popular.

I'm not going to talk about how to behave as an operator because that would be too general because each operator fills in the details as he pleases.

To go in depth about how to gain more chances to be promoted: (Note: This is purely my opinion, it can be that Dark, Hanno and Opti have different opinions so don't solely focus on this. I do, however, have a lot of experience with forums and how to climb ranks).
  • Be active! This may sound easy and obvious, but you have to be both active in the forums and game.
  • Take initiative. Not much people do this. I mean proposing projects, helping members, etc.
  • Be nice and friendly, bring a proper attitude. Also if you are rejected, be fair and don't start raging. Accept it the way it is and try again (and better) next time.

Then we also have the flavor of the month, which is heavily supporting everybody who applies. While this is good on one side, it's frustrating for those who are not know very well. It's ok to support, but don't overdo it. I just stay neutral and if I support someone, I'll do it subtle. There are also a lot of two faced people out there. People who are nice and pretend to support you, but when the time is there to really help you, they quit. Sure it's not a big deal on an online game, but your attitude here reflects your real life attitude.

That was is for this time, do mind that this is purely my opinion so this is open for debating/feedback/criticism!

And remember: