May 18, 2024, 12:01:35 pm

Author Topic: How To Farm  (Read 1360 times)

ViperZeroOne

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
How To Farm
« on: May 17, 2012, 11:45:37 pm »
I pulled my comment from another post just because I'm starting to realize that there are a lot of people out there who are starving, just because they aren't sure how to properly setup a good yielding farm.  So, in an effort to help out those players, I've gone through a bit of a painstakingly long process to do up some graphics for you.

First thing to note is that each water block supports a minimum 4 block radius of crops.  Since water is the "life blood" of a farm, it's important to maximize each water block to it's full potential.  Therefore the best way to plant is with water in the center of your crop fields.  Like so;

= Water
= Wheat

▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓
▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓
▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓
▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓
▓ ▓ ▓ ▓
▓ ▓ ▓ ▓
▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓
▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓
▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓
▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓

OR

= Water
= Melon Stem
= Dirt

Step 2 to having a farm is to ensure it's survivability.  This is easily done with a coal PS stone.  You get one right off the start, so I'd suggest using it to protect your farm.  This is how I like to setup my farm's PS stone when I'm dealing with melons.

= Water
= Melon Stem
= Dirt
= Coal PS Stone

But it can also be done with your Wheat farm.  That said, you should put a 2x tall fence around the farm (or 3x tall with a flat roof) so people can't get in and trample it.  Because the farm is only 9x9, your fence (and roof) is going to be inside the protection of the PS stone.

= Water
= Wheat
= Coal PS Stone

▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓
▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓
▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓
▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓
▓ ▓ ▓ ▓
▓ ▓ ▓ ▓
▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓
▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓
▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓
▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓

With this setup you'll have no problem with food, at all.  It's what I used when I first started, and within a day I had an entire chest full of food.  

NOTES:
- If you CROUCH you won't damage the soil when you move across it, so no need for paths that waste farming space.
- Grow your melon stems with bonemeal to skip having to wait for them to mature.
- Be patient and spend some time just standing at your melon farm, it'll produce a melon roughly every 10 seconds.
- Stack your farms vertical instead of spreading them out across the countryside, to keep them in the same chunk.

Happy farming!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 12:43:24 am by ViperZeroOne »
"I griefed because my dog sat on my mouse and farted!"
- BAN APPEAL DENIED!!

Dark Knight eh?.... I'M BATMAN!!!  ;)

ViperZeroOne

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
Re: How To Farm
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 12:48:59 am »
I had someone PM me about growing the farm larger than 9x9.

As I suggested, grow vertical by stacking one farm on top of the other.  That way you'll still be in the same chunk and your crops will continue to grow WHILE YOU HARVEST.  You can build a tower if you want.  I had a manual (which is what these are) melon farm that was 4 stories tall and with that I ended up having over 30 coal protection stones in a week.  That many stones, I was able to protect a large area and construct a "base" without worrying about griefers.  Even with the "nerfing" of the melon price on the market, I would have still been able to get over 15 coal protection stones in a week.
"I griefed because my dog sat on my mouse and farted!"
- BAN APPEAL DENIED!!

Dark Knight eh?.... I'M BATMAN!!!  ;)

Spamarian

• Top Voter
  • Champion Member
  • YoO0Oo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 06:49:10 am »
Nice thread.
It will help a lot of people, because I have helped others in their farms, too.
Many people dont know how to set a farm

Well done.

acegdl007

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 04:06:57 pm »
Great post!
Two hints I would make to help protect against griefers:
-move your farm further away from the spawn.
-Consider growing underground.  When mining, if you find a cave/ravine with an underground pond or water source, throw some rows of dirt around it, put up some torches and plant seeds!  Griefers on the surface can't grief what they can't see.

Also... don't depend on trusted/moderators/ops, etc to bring water to your farm!  Search the countryside a bit and find a place with natural water then build there.  Be resourceful in trying to use the natural shape of the land to your advantage.

Find me in game and I may be able to help you set up a farm if I have time.

Pew1998

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 08:30:23 pm »
If you want me to make you an auto wheat farm, please don't hesate to message me when I'm on.
It will have a flood gate.