May 14, 2024, 06:56:30 pm

Author Topic: Help me Make the Largest Slime Farm  (Read 3493 times)

Zen00

• View Profile
Help me Make the Largest Slime Farm
« on: May 05, 2012, 03:40:17 am »
Hey all, I'm a big redstone fan, and as such I need sticky pistons and lots of redstone. In order to get both I'm excavating the largest underground area (or at least the largest that I know of) in the game. This area is below level 40 so slimes can spawn in it. This will allow me to collect both the slime balls I need and the redstone for my future project, the boss battle (search it on YouTube).

I need people to help me with this project however, it's taking quite a long time by myself and I'd like to get done faster. If you want a place to mine (you keep whatever you dig out) and to also help me at the same time, come to my /home and help me dig the area!

How does this work you might ask? Well the game only generates monsters within 128 blocks of you, so what I'm doing is excavating a area that is 128 blocks square. Once complete all you have to do is run from one end back to the other over and over, thus despawning distant monsters and causing the spawning algorithm to run and create new ones. Over time this will cause slimes to spawn, thus giving you slime balls!

I have completed half of the area, ranging from the left wall to the right wall. All I need is help expanding the back wall out further. When you come to my /home, just follow the signs to find the farm/mine. It's easy, just go to the basement of my building, then enter into the tunnel that leads to the mine. When you reach the nether portal at the bottom, hang a right and go to the end of that tunnel, and there is the mine/farm.

Midgetized

• View Profile
Re: Help me Make the Largest Slime Farm
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 04:05:42 am »
Seems like a project, maybe you can help me with my 100x100x5 area, currently I'm strip mining the area then will clean it out. I got it to 100x76 striped, and a lot of lava beds around.

I think I will make a rail system around the square that will do the same thing of your plan, just circling around the place. See a slime hop out rape it and get back in. So far not a single slime spawned in there. I don't know if it's because the 20+ chunks I dug out isnt a slime chunk or there's something I'm missing.
Sometimes a little bit of pessimism goes further than a stream of optimism, it lets you see both sides of the coin and break the illusion of the reality that others built around you.

Midgetized

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 09:55:50 pm »
Update: Found 1 Slime about 50 blocks away from my excavation area, so I don't know if I'm screwed or maybe I can get a slime soon.
Sometimes a little bit of pessimism goes further than a stream of optimism, it lets you see both sides of the coin and break the illusion of the reality that others built around you.

hutchinske

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 02:13:11 pm »
When I'm on I can help with lava pools. All I will charge to get rid of them is the obsidian that is caused by the water.

Zen00

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 03:38:49 pm »
You can have all the obsidian you want, there's a huge amount of lava pools in the last area, which is funny as the vast majority of the time I never even saw lava once.

Project update: There is now a rail system that carries you in and out. The project is 3/4 complete (of the 128x128 block, 3/4 have been dug out) so if you want to help, please come in.

Remember, anything you dig up, you can keep. However there are public chests in the back room that you can donate building material into.

Midgetized

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 06:15:15 pm »
Zen00 you still working on that?

Zen00

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 09:05:48 pm »
Yep, and now it's done! Thank you all the volunteers who helped clear it out this morning.

Now what needs to be done is the caves in the surrounding area all have to be cleared, meaning a torch in every nook and cranny so that nothing can spawn.

If you want to come in and do that now, you're welcome to.

devzer0

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 04:04:38 pm »
any chance I can get some slime in return for my labor?

{EDIT}

Also, will it be automated? I have some ideas to automate slime farms. You can raise them with etho style water stairs and kill them via drowning then collect the balls... need someone trusted to place water for us though. I have a good slime drowning system. If you build near the top of the slime layer you can drown them more quickly too, which should increase production rates.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 04:13:55 pm by devzer0 »

NateN

• Slap my nip
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 04:28:05 pm »
I can lay water

devzer0

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 12:15:22 am »
Zen00, you ever get anything down here? I've been cruising around for a while and I'm not getting anything... also is there zombie spawner above this?

Zen00

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2012, 09:14:22 pm »
Yes there is a zombie spawner above this (It's my personal spawner I use for XP).

And slime spawns are currently broken (see thread in general discussion) so there is nothing yet, and I won't see anything till it gets fixed.

devzer0

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 05:36:18 pm »
ha nice, well if I ever explore down there anymore I'll give u a heads up so you can grab some xp. Is the grinder automated at all? if not, want help automating it?

Zen00

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 08:48:20 pm »
Yes it's automated, I've automated it three different ways. :/