May 03, 2024, 06:31:54 pm

Author Topic: Need Materials? Check Out Strip Mining!  (Read 1539 times)

Fearthebait

• View Profile
Need Materials? Check Out Strip Mining!
« on: April 23, 2012, 02:22:43 am »
   First and foremost, strip mining is not for the purpose of precious minerals, but rather a method for attaining mass quantities of building materials. This method is useful for major projects, or for gathering large stockpiles for trading to others. Second, this method takes a LONG time to complete, but was ideal for me since I didn't usually have a lot of time to play at one time. Total time for this build was roughly 3 or 4 weeks, working on it an average of 2 hours per day. Some days not at all.

Dimensions for this strip mine were a staggering 30Hx30Lx60D. I just went to the first layer of bedrock for a smooth look at the bottom. The hardest part was definitely the last 10 or 15 layers due to lava pools and some caves i would dig right through loaded with monsters. I made this strip mine so far out that at night, i would be completely surrounded by 20 to 30 mobs since there was no one else around for them to spawn near.

Anyway, here are my totals followed by pics of the final mine!
Totals: 57600 blocks removed
54993 Total blocks after crafting weapons/picks/torches
Roughly 60 diamond picks used, all made from my 4 free diamonds everyday.
          Cobblestone: 43648
          Sandstone: 768
          Sand: 3436
          Dirt: 3392
          Gravel: 1414
          Flint: 192
          Iron: 625
          Coal: 571
          Lapis: 227
          Redstone: 700
          Gold: 11
          Diamond: 9

Preperation Area to get to the mine from my house. Its a 2 minute nonstop minecart ride back to civilization.

Night shot of the mine. Lighting was a major issue to prevent monsters.

Top Down. And yes....the drop will kill you instantly.

Bottom Up during the day.