May 27, 2024, 01:11:07 pm

Author Topic: Autofarming  (Read 2151 times)

Tree Frog

• View Profile
Autofarming
« on: April 13, 2012, 02:42:14 am »
Is there a problem if we use a redstone clock to autofarm melons?   I know a bunch of people are doing this but someone told me tonight that I shouldn't.  What's the official word on this?

☣2crzy4uall☣

• Professional Redstoner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
Re: Autofarming
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 06:20:59 am »
Im not sure about the clock, but i got shut down on my redstoneless auto farm lol cuz it involved boats which = lag
Why not use a BUD switch? works pretty well. BUD switches are what you usually use in autofarming
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 06:33:51 am by 2crzy4uall »

Sekihara

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 12:00:10 pm »
The one I'm working on right now is fully auto using a decay timer. (5 min timer waiting for items to despawn) I'm also gonna toss in an AND logic gate so it'll only runs when I'm standing on a pressure plate at the item dump off.

Spamarian

• Top Voter
  • Champion Member
  • YoO0Oo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 12:09:59 pm »
Nice thing. But, I farm and leave. I cant stand there waiting for 5 mins.

Sekihara

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 12:14:04 pm »
Nice thing. But, I farm and leave. I cant stand there waiting for 5 mins.

I spend a lot of time alt-tabbed watching things or being productive, so I've found that to be the best for me.

ViperZeroOne

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 03:15:46 pm »
My suggestion is to be courteous with your auto-farms and don't lag other players just because you want to be greedy.  Don't set them on timers, use a button to activate it instead.

1)  Collecting resources while alt-tabbed is no better than duping, which is a banable offense.
2)  If you forget to deactivate your auto-farm it runs constantly and wastes server resources other players might need.
3)  If you're too lazy to press a button then you should get off Minecraft and reevaluate your emotional condition.

...and yes, boats lag the server so if any mod finds an auto farm using boats I believe they've been instructed to "break" it and warn/notify the owner.  I think this rule should also apply for any auto-farms that are active when a player is offline/afk.
"I griefed because my dog sat on my mouse and farted!"
- BAN APPEAL DENIED!!

Dark Knight eh?.... I'M BATMAN!!!  ;)

Tree Frog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 04:22:51 pm »
I think I can figure out how to push a button.  ;)  I just know that others were doing it so I wanted to understand what the rules were so I don't cause problems.   That's why I was asking to begin with.  
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 05:03:34 pm by Wolfer210 »

ViperZeroOne

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 06:22:07 pm »
I think I can figure out how to push a button.  ;)  I just know that others were doing it so I wanted to understand what the rules were so I don't cause problems.   That's why I was asking to begin with.  

Ahh yes, that's what I figured.  I reread my post and it could be misunderstood to be a little rude.  My apologies for that.  Your best bet is to simply set your auto-farm with a button and click it every five minutes or so.  Even if you're alt-tabbed out of the game, it takes time for your things to grow so you can still jump back to the game, click the button, then go back to what you were doing.  It's just more "polite" to keep your lag footprint to a minimum.
"I griefed because my dog sat on my mouse and farted!"
- BAN APPEAL DENIED!!

Dark Knight eh?.... I'M BATMAN!!!  ;)

Tree Frog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 06:48:13 pm »
No problem Viper.   I ignored the parts I didn't like.   8)

bantam2

• Oᴘᴇʀᴀᴛᴏʀ
  • Straight Outta Compton
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 06:57:28 pm »
Officially, you are not supposed to have a long timer for your melon farm and it should not to be on for an extended period of time but having a timer that lasts 10 to 20 seconds is Ok. Just make sure that it gets turned off before you leave the server. Any timers over 45 seconds to a minute on for a long time will cause major server lag. Please think of everyone else before making one. Have fun.