June 16, 2024, 08:58:08 pm

Author Topic: Two Ideas for Donate Options  (Read 2304 times)

emasks

• View Profile
Two Ideas for Donate Options
« on: April 10, 2012, 08:47:34 am »
Hello,

This is my first post on this forum after having registered an account. I came to this server pretty much with the goal of helping out a friend of mine. I don't play all that much, except to do a few repetitive tasks for my friend. With that said, this seems to be a well-run server and I am happy to be playing on it. If no one minds, I've got a few suggestions which I think could make it better! In this thread, I'd like to talk about a couple of options to do with Donations.

§1. Pay to Toggle Server Messages
On my first entry to the server, I was genuinely appreciative of all the signs near the spawn area. In the forthcoming minutes and hours of playing, I took notice of the automatic server messages informing me of various game features and reminding me to vote. From an intellectual standpoint, I can appreciate them; in fact, they initially taught me how to set my home and travel to homes prior to my friend explaining it to me. But let us be frank: these messages are spam. With particular regard to the messages reminding one to vote, they are self-serving spam. Again from an intellectual standpoint I can appreciate and understand them. I realize that this server needs advertisement in order to continue to grow; and, I realize that growing the server is positively correlated with growing the number of total donations. If we are to assume as I have, then, that the automatic voting messages exist primarily as a means by which to increase Donation revenue then it is my personal suggestion that the server might benefit monetarily from a Donation option whose purchase disables those automatic server messages to the user. No in-game money; no special commands; nothing at all that affects, influences or even cosmetically changes game play: just a button that gets rid of yellow text showing up every few seconds. I can promise you that there would be at least one purchase, the day this change goes live.

§2. An Honest Donation Button
While we are speaking with forthright honesty, let's discuss the Donate page and its present absence. Yes, there is currently a page labeled Donate in which I am able to conduct micro-transactions with the server. That's not how donations work, and both myself and my esteemed audience are aware of this. What now occupies the Donate page is effectively and would be more accurately described as a Store. It's a place to make purchases: I, the customer, exchange to you, the purveyor, a sum between five and thirty USD, and in return you exchange to me in-game perks. I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with charging real money for in-game money, perks, and the like. Nothing about the micro-transaction model offends me, and that isn't the point. My point is that there is no actual place for me to just throw money at the server because I want to legitimately donate to its ongoing activity. If I want to give money to the server, I have to buy something. That's not charity; that's not a donation; that's a purchase, and something about labeling it something that it's not just makes me feel dirty. My request is simple: add to the home page, or to the Donate page, a button that just says "Donate". Make it a blind donation with no in-game or forum-related virtual commodity to be exchanged; in fact, make it possible to donate anonymously. I suppose that by making a post about it I've somewhat betrayed my hand in the matter, but there do exist people whose satisfaction from donating comes from the feeling of doing so anonymously, because that anonymity precludes them from feeling as though they're donating only in name—that they are instead actually purchasing the good will of whatever organisation towards whom they have diverted their funds.

I'd like to thank any of you whom have read to the end of this post, and I would like to emphasize that I do not mean any disrespect towards any reader or his way of thinking.

Nyssa

• dedlymagik
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
Re: Two Ideas for Donate Options
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 08:50:33 am »
Good Ideas. =)

lLLEGAL

• Recruit Operator
  • Champion Member
  • Legacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 09:18:40 am »
I do find the "Hey, it seems you have not voted" announcement quite long and it causes a huge chunk of the text to be pushed upwards.
So maybe I should vote to keep it away xD
But other announcements are also quite annoying, so I'll agree with the first suggestion.
The second has already been suggested before, and after reading your essay, I agree with you.

Well done, we appreciate your suggestions.(or at least I do :) )

DJAlphaWolf

• Former "Super Recruit"
  • Champion Member
  • Self Proclaimed Opticraft Entertainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 09:21:08 am »
Although the SMP Donation page does not have just a "donate" button, the classic donation page does at the bottom. Technically you can click that button there to donate for no rewards. Perhaps Opti will implement the same button on the SMP Donations page.

But anyways, I think the first idea is pretty good :P

Edit: Donation button on the classic donation page looks like this.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No rewards - Simple donation - You choose!

If you'd simply like to show your support, you can send us any size donation, just hit the donate button below and you will be prompted for the amount you wish to donate.
Thanks for the support!

« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 10:53:00 am by DJAlphaWolf »

lLLEGAL

• Recruit Operator
  • Champion Member
  • Legacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 09:28:39 am »
Although the SMP Donation page does not have just a "donate" button, the classic donation page does at the bottom. Technically you can click that button there to donate for no rewards. Perhaps Opti will implement the same button on the SMP Donations page.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you'd simply like to show your support, you can send us any size donation, just hit the donate button below and you will be prompted for the amount you wish to donate.
Thanks for the support!

I tried clicking the button xD
Anyways, donating to classic also directs the money to Opti, so you should be able to do the same thing, just via classic instead of SMP.

emasks

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 09:46:17 am »

Thanks for the support!

Thank you very much for this post! I was unaware of the button on the Classic page, and were I aware of it would have had the exact question which you just answered for me: "Does this money go to the same place as the SMP server fund?" This shows to me that the functionality does exist, and I am sure that when there's time between other workload that it's something that could be added to the SMP page. That makes me pretty happy.

SpikeyThorn

• “Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.”
  • -Griefer impaler-
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 10:18:12 am »
Actually, on the classic server, optical implemented a command called /togglenotifications, which would remove all join/leave notifications, and MOTD notifications of the users chat

A very useful command, i don't think it would need to be donated for to be in the survival server

Ans i agree, the SMP chat is very spammy, and could do with some sort of chat re-type limit, but this would help to ease the scrolling text :)