May 12, 2024, 01:14:22 am

Author Topic: About different building styles  (Read 3455 times)

FeanorAlmighty

About different building styles
« on: December 20, 2010, 05:58:28 pm »
Hi,

I'm Feanor, Operator for the Opticraft Dev Server and I'm going to write something. I have no idea how I can name it, so I'll just call it a blog.

What made me starting this blog, is the Operators map on this server, because it's stuffed with gray and white squares. The biggest building on it is a square made out off gray blocks. The tower has a gray square as a base. Some buildings aren't squares but they are gray nevertheless.

Lately, I've been wandering around on other servers as well, to see how they build structures. And you know what my conclusion was? Most people just use the standard squares and colors on their buildings, adding nothing unique. Symmetry is also seen in 99% of the buildings. I think this leads to the same boring buildings every time and while you can innovate with the inside, the outside will remain the same.

I personally hate symmetry in all its forms. Why you may ask? Well because it doesn't promote creativity in any way. Oh so if I make 50% of the building, I have just have the copy it on the other side! DONE! If you give shit about symmetry then you can create way more epic things.

Another thing that has been bothering is the low usage of colors. Most people just use the standard white/gray/brick to build their houses. Is this wrong? No, who am I to say that this is wrong? But I do think it's bad. Try to play with colors and create a pleasure for the eye.

Originality isn't something you have, it's something you get. Try to think about different things, look different at this. Don't think 'What can I add' but 'How can I innovate what I have'.

This is just my opinion!

tl;dr Symmetry and gray blocks suck!

DenBrahe

• View Profile
Re: About different building styles
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 06:25:07 pm »
My personal opinion:

Asymmetry = Chaos
That's the reason I build Symmetric structures
I don't know how to start with building an asymmetric thing, and I don't know how to end it

I think it's better to let people build what they want to build, however it's a good initiative to encourage their creativity
As example, your Notre Dame is symmetric too, isn't it?

And it's not that easy to create a totally asymmetric building(look out of your window, and you will see)

That's what I think.
DenBrahe

FeanorAlmighty

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 06:40:19 pm »
I know the Notre Dame is symmetric, but I'm copying it from the original. Asymmetric buildings aren't necessarily chaotic.

DenBrahe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 06:52:02 pm »
I know the Notre Dame is symmetric, but I'm copying it from the original. Asymmetric buildings aren't necessarily chaotic.

I find them chaotic.*
And many buildings are just copies of existing things, or little reworked.
Complete creativity is hard to find.
But I think I'm moving to the deep inner of philosophy now.

Maybe the answer lies in our history: Imitatio(copy), Aemulatio(improve) and Creatio(create). They were all respected. Why not in Minecraft?

*I don't know if this sentence is in correct English.

FeanorAlmighty

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 06:55:42 pm »
As to back up the OP, you could check the Operators map. You will see one house that shines out. It's totally NOT like others. It's mine, but not done.

(Also I'm going to remove the yellow part)

DenBrahe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 07:10:29 pm »
As to back up the OP, you could check the Operators map. You will see one house that shines out. It's totally NOT like others. It's mine, but not done.

(Also I'm going to remove the yellow part)

I suppose it's the multicolored building with water etc...
No offence, but I don't like it.
It's not like the other buildings, but it isn't my style.
Every person has to build what he/she wants
That's best for everyone

FeanorAlmighty

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 07:14:17 pm »
It is not multicolored with water, not exactly. Just check it.

DenBrahe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 07:27:41 pm »
It is not multicolored with water, not exactly. Just check it.

Well, that building I meant, is the one that shines out for me

FeanorAlmighty

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 07:54:17 am »
That's best for everyone
I also agree with this line here. Everybody should build whatever he or she likes the best, but there's nothing wrong with trying new things to get a new style.

DenBrahe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 04:06:30 pm »
That's best for everyone
I also agree with this line here. Everybody should build whatever he or she likes the best, but there's nothing wrong with trying new things to get a new style.

That's right

Computrix

• City Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 06:46:09 am »
Examples of good, detailed symmetrical structures

Examples of good, detailed non symmetrical structures

I often start with symmetrical shapes or outright blocks/rectangles whenever I start a building, but usually only to get the scaling and size right. Then the shapes are tweaked and modified to make something more than just another blocky building. Extra detailing such as windows, borders, spires, ledges, etc. all help to make a more realistic looking building and not just a giant box with no windows.

zackscary

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 07:13:58 am »
I think the reason people like symmetry may be related to the fact that a person is more beutiful if they are more verticaly symmetrical. Also, most building more verticaly symmetrical.

FeanorAlmighty

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 09:00:50 am »
Could be true zack.

Jonathon

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 03:07:38 pm »
Yeah, if my buildings arent like symetric i get very mad and just break it and have to redo the WHOLE project.  ;D

Rufarin.

• ::The Ultimate::
  • Ex-Op/Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2010, 12:35:56 am »
I don't think that asymmetry is better than symmetry or the other way around.
How you build is how you build.