May 14, 2024, 02:28:43 am

Poll

What should I do with the computer?

Keep Windows Server 2008
Get windows 7
Get another OS

Author Topic: What should I do with this computer?  (Read 8520 times)

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
Re: What should I do with this computer?
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2011, 05:17:05 pm »
But what if you have other applications in the background. When i have minecraft running with other things I use 6-7gb of RAM.
I can run both minecraft's (beta and classic) plus amplitude 3 (guitar amp sim) at the same time with no problems what so ever with 4GB of ram, and thats not counting things i always have open like itunes and steam.
R.I.P. Blocky Jr. - Brutally killed by Kodak on accident

Mr_Mr_Mr

• Veteran
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2011, 05:36:38 pm »
But what if you have other applications in the background. When i have minecraft running with other things I use 6-7gb of RAM.
I can run both minecraft's (beta and classic) plus amplitude 3 (guitar amp sim) at the same time with no problems what so ever with 4GB of ram, and thats not counting things i always have open like itunes and steam.
RAM isn't my problem, it's not my CPU, because I only use up 30% with 50% to spare (running other programs too) and I still lag, I'm thinking it might be my graphics card or my processor.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 05:52:53 pm by Mr_Mr_Mr »

---><--- Click the monkey

Exox615

• Gathering dust
  • Iron bars
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2011, 05:37:59 pm »

Well i have Xcode, spottily, iTunes, Finder Mail, SysPref, Safari, App store running so that why i need more. The worts thing is antivirus software. i have 8gb but i want 16gb. This wold be for hosting servers. Its the video RAM that lets me down, 1/2 a gb
It looks like you are eligible to vote. Why have you not voted?!??

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2011, 06:36:34 pm »

Well i have Xcode, spottily, iTunes, Finder Mail, SysPref, Safari, App store running so that why i need more. The worts thing is antivirus software. i have 8gb but i want 16gb. This wold be for hosting servers. Its the video RAM that lets me down, 1/2 a gb
With all of my programs running i have about 70% memory usage. So there is no way you are using that much ram for those small programs. Then again im not sure about macs.

And video ram has a very small role in how fast or powerful your video card is, more video ram =/= a faster card. 512mb of video ram should be fine as long as you aren't using a monitor bigger than 22 inches.

Exox615

• Gathering dust
  • Iron bars
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2011, 06:43:27 pm »

With all of my programs running i have about 70% memory usage. So there is no way you are using that much ram for those small programs. Then again im not sure about macs.

And video ram has a very small role in how fast or powerful your video card is, more video ram =/= a faster card. 512mb of video ram should be fine as long as you aren't using a monitor bigger than 22 inches.

I mean with the 2 minecrafts in the background. Also Xcode is pretty RAM intensive, as far as i know.

And i am using a 21.5 inch LED backlit with 1920x1080 pixels.

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2011, 06:57:38 pm »

I mean with the 2 minecrafts in the background. Also Xcode is pretty RAM intensive, as far as i know.

My apology, for some reason i completely forgot that 22inch monitors can be 1080. Anyway, ya if you are running at 1080 it is good to have 1gb video ram.

Spartan

• Follow my Twitter!
  • Champion Member
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2011, 07:33:34 pm »
I think im probably going to go with 7. I already got the copy, just need to install it now.

And of course im updating to Windows 8 when it comes out!

Exox615

• Gathering dust
  • Iron bars
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2011, 07:55:42 pm »

My apology, for some reason i completely forgot that 22inch monitors can be 1080. Anyway, ya if you are running at 1080 it is good to have 1gb video ram.

There's not much I can do about the graphics, unless I use a different resolution in SysPref which I don't wanna do :(

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2011, 08:00:12 pm »

There's not much I can do about the graphics, unless I use a different resolution in SysPref which I don't wanna do :(
Oh ya you have a mac lol. I could just replace it.

Spartan

• Follow my Twitter!
  • Champion Member
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2011, 08:40:36 pm »
I have a mac but i havent started apple development yet.

Luminaeus

• Crafter #008
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2011, 08:41:21 pm »
Everyone makes a big deal about speedboost on the i5-i7s but it's kind of pointless imo. All it does is temporarily raise the clock multiplier by one on a single core.

And while it's true that games aren't particularly CPU heavy, there are still big performance gains to get from overlocking. And the i7 is soooo easy to overclock, it's a massive waste of potential to leave it running as-is. I went from 2.8 to 3.8 ghz with only the slightest increase of voltages... and even on true 100% load running linx (linx, not linux) my temps never exceeded 65c.

As for RAM, more is always better. Assuming it's triple channel and actually configured to run at a decent speed. You'd be surprised how many people spend big bucks on 1600mhz overclocker memory just to run it at 800mhz because they assumed their computer would auto-configure it lol.

Spamarian

• Top Voter
  • Champion Member
  • YoO0Oo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2011, 08:42:38 pm »
Finally, NIck did you decide what you will do with that monster of RAM and leopard of CPU?

Everyone went out of topic..:P
Could you return to see your choice?

Thank you.

Pilot10334

• The Thinker
    • View Profile
    • CJP Dude on YouTube
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2011, 09:05:42 pm »
Dude that computer is serious overkill...

davioo

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2011, 09:12:22 pm »
is it yours now? if it is just sell it on ebay.

Spartan

• Follow my Twitter!
  • Champion Member
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2011, 10:37:34 pm »
is it yours now? if it is just sell it on ebay.
Ehh i dont like selling on ebay. I always get way less than what i want. If I sold it, i'd sell it locally.