May 15, 2024, 07:14:31 am

Author Topic: Huge House, made in 3 Hrs.  (Read 4251 times)

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
Re: Huge House, made in 3 Hrs.
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2011, 12:00:52 am »
What?  Png's (portable network grahpic) are WAY smaller than jpeg's because they have less colors in them (among other things). That is why when people make websites most of the images are uploaded as PNG's to keep the load times down.
R.I.P. Blocky Jr. - Brutally killed by Kodak on accident

thenetfuture

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2011, 12:02:39 am »
What?  Png's (portable network grahpic) are WAY smaller than jpeg's because they have less colors in them (among other things). That is why when people make websites most of the images are uploaded as PNG's to keep the load times down.

WoM takes screens in 500kb size :/, i think is my computer as well....

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2011, 12:04:16 am »

WOM does not take screen shots at a certain file size. It depends on the amount of colors and how big the screen shots are. Most of my WOM screen shots are over 700kb.

thenetfuture

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2011, 12:07:01 am »

WOM does not take screen shots at a certain file size. It depends on the amount of colors and how big the screen shots are. Most of my WOM screen shots are over 700kb.

thats what i say .... the first time i resize the pictures to 700px < --width-->, has 500 Kb in PNG format, if i do the same in JPG, .... 40kb...

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2011, 12:08:44 am »

thats what i say .... the first time i resize the pictures to 700px < --width-->, has 500 Kb in PNG format, if i do the same in JPG, .... 40kb...
What are you using the convert your SS? You must be doing MAJOR optimization.

matt88222

• Gears of War 3
  • Hi I'm Matt
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2011, 12:10:32 am »
What?  Png's (portable network grahpic) are WAY smaller than jpeg's because they have less colors in them (among other things). That is why when people make websites most of the images are uploaded as PNG's to keep the load times down.

Are you sure you don't have that backwards? JPG is a lossy compression format while PNG is a lossless compression format.  PNG images therefore contain ALL the data about an image (including support for transparency) while a JPG compresses an image while losing some data but does so in a way that is (usually) unnoticeable to the human eye.

thenetfuture

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2011, 12:11:03 am »

What are you using the convert your SS? You must be doing MAJOR optimization.

yeap, im exactlly seeing that, paint shop pro 7.0 :/ and its a major opt.....

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2011, 12:18:29 am »

Are you sure you don't have that backwards? JPG is a lossy compression format while PNG is a lossless compression format.  PNG images therefore contain ALL the data about an image (including support for transparency) while a JPG compresses an image while losing some data but does so in a way that is (usually) unnoticeable to the human eye.
While that is true, It all depends on how you compress it. If you compress a jpeg a lot then of course it will be smaller than a PNG. Jpegs can handle quite a bit more colors (16.7 mil to be exact) But take my sig for example, If i save it as a jpeg at max quality it comes out to 73.6kb, if i save it as a png max quality it comes out to 58.2. Like i said it all comes down to compression.

EDIT: So my first post was wrong because i failed to realize while converting it, it was getting compressed as well.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 12:23:50 am by Nick3306 »

matt88222

• Gears of War 3
  • Hi I'm Matt
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2011, 12:43:44 am »
What?  Png's (portable network grahpic) are WAY smaller than jpeg's because they have less colors in them (among other things). That is why when people make websites most of the images are uploaded as PNG's to keep the load times down.

Are you sure you don't have that backwards? JPG is a lossy compression format while PNG is a lossless compression format.  PNG images therefore contain ALL the data about an image (including support for transparency) while a JPG compresses an image while losing some data but does so in a way that is (usually) unnoticeable to the human eye.
While that is true, It all depends on how you compress it. If you compress a jpeg a lot then of course it will be smaller than a PNG. Jpegs can handle quite a bit more colors (16.7 mil to be exact) But take my sig for example, If i save it as a jpeg at max quality it comes out to 73.6kb, if i save it as a png max quality it comes out to 58.2. Like i said it all comes down to compression.

EDIT: So my first post was wrong because i failed to realize while converting it, it was getting compressed as well.

I see what you're saying, but I'm guessing most people don't use a photo editing program that allows you to save a JPG at such a high quality (such as photoshop).  Instead, programs such as paint use a fair amount of compression when saving a JPG and therefore (usually) result in a smaller file size.

For example, I saved your sig using paint as a PNG and as a JPG.  The result was a 17.3KB JPG and a 73.6KB PNG.

To get back on topic, why not just leave your files as the larger PNGs and upload them to a site such as www.imgur.com?  You can save yourself the extra step of having to convert them

Just a suggestion, awesome creation though :D

thenetfuture

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2011, 12:45:55 am »

Are you sure you don't have that backwards? JPG is a lossy compression format while PNG is a lossless compression format.  PNG images therefore contain ALL the data about an image (including support for transparency) while a JPG compresses an image while losing some data but does so in a way that is (usually) unnoticeable to the human eye.

hahahahah its ok men :D

thenetfuture

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2011, 12:49:25 am »

I see what you're saying, but I'm guessing most people don't use a photo editing program that allows you to save a JPG at such a high quality (such as photoshop).  Instead, programs such as paint use a fair amount of compression when saving a JPG and therefore (usually) result in a smaller file size.

For example, I saved your sig using paint as a PNG and as a JPG.  The result was a 17.3KB JPG and a 73.6KB PNG.

To get back on topic, why not just leave your files as the larger PNGs and upload them to a site such as www.imgur.com?  You can save yourself the extra step of having to convert them

Just a suggestion, awesome creation though :D

yeap, i could do that, but i think about that ppl who has a 1mb connection, just think "charging 30 photos of 500/700kb" NO WAY, i think that every time :D

other thing is that i know my server will allways stay up, dont have advertising, its fast, and the pics are in the post :D

thanks por the last thing !!

Luminaeus

• Crafter #008
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2011, 05:11:36 am »
There's two versions of PNG.

Old version works like a color indexed GIF. New version works like a lossless JPG.

Relkeb

• Overwatch
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2011, 05:14:53 am »
I like cats because cats don't argue.

matt88222

• Gears of War 3
  • Hi I'm Matt
    • View Profile