May 02, 2024, 02:44:01 pm

Author Topic: Really, congress? Really?  (Read 3970 times)

corourke70

• View Profile
Really, congress? Really?
« on: July 06, 2011, 10:40:22 pm »
http://thunderboltgames.com/features/article/take-a-stand-against-bill-s978-feature-for-all-none.html

BTW I don't care if this is off-topic. This should be a discussion.

Well i'm just going to state my opinion here. We all know the government wants money. So if they opened their eyes and realized that they make more money from taxes if they keep the laws the way they are.

Let's say I'm doing other things in my life but then i stumble upon a zzirgrizz's mw2 montage. It inspires me to play. I get the old disc out of a dusty case and pop it into my PS3. I get the rest of my friends to start playing MW2 again. One of my friends never got into MW2 and he felt left out so he went to go buy the game. *BAM* Now the government gets some money from the tax on the purchase.
If they pass the law then they don't get any money from that purchase because the video on youtube that inspired me to play MW2 again didn't exist. So i didn't play and I didn't get my friend to buy the game.

Some commentators have brought me to buy a game. I came to minecraft by watching a machinima commentary.

All online montages, commentaries and everything else is pretty much free advertising for the game developers.
If this law passes then lots of people will lose their jobs. Sales will dramatically drop, etc.

Sry for getting all raged up and stuff. It just makes no sense at all.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 10:54:03 pm by corourke70 »

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
Re: Really, congress? Really?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 11:05:56 pm »
While this law is a bit absurd, I get what they are saying. If you aren't allowed to post copyrighted songs on youtube, why should you be allowed to post videos of a copyrighted game?

Even though you aren't giving them a hardcopy of the game, you are still letting them see the game for themselves without purchase. Its like if you posted a movie on youtube, its not allowed even though you aren't giving them the actual movie.
R.I.P. Blocky Jr. - Brutally killed by Kodak on accident

corourke70

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 11:09:33 pm »
While this law is a bit absurd, I get what they are saying. If you aren't allowed to post copyrighted songs on youtube, why should you be allowed to post videos of a copyrighted game?

Even though you aren't giving them a hardcopy of the game, you are still letting them see the game for themselves without purchase. Its like if you posted a movie on youtube, its not allowed even though you aren't giving them the actual movie.

Yeah, I can see where they're coming from but there it's different for a video game IMO. If it was a song then they get to listen to the whole thing. If it's a movie then they get to watch the whole thing. If it's a video game then they just get a taste of what they get to experience.

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 11:11:14 pm »

Yeah, I can see where they're coming from but there it's different for a video game IMO. If it was a song then they get to listen to the whole thing. If it's a movie then they get to watch the whole thing. If it's a video game then they just get a taste of what they get to experience.
Lots of people post complete game walkthroughs on youtube. But dont worry, it most likely wont pass.

I currently have 2 Game videos on youtube so i hope it doesnt lol.

Mr_Mr_Mr

• Veteran
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 04:56:10 am »
I hope this bill gets veto'd.

---><--- Click the monkey

clawstrider

• The Clawsome One
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 07:04:42 am »
Just look at English ones?
Or have I mis-understood?
Claw

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 07:18:20 am »
Claw
BTW, you dont need to put "Claw" At the end of all your posts, we all know its you.

Flight21

• Grammar Nazi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 01:55:17 pm »
Claw
BTW, you dont need to put "Claw" At the end of all your posts, we all know its you.

Thank you for saying that! There is a place at the bottom of every post called a 'Signature'. Its there for a reason.

Anyhow, this bill, however stupid it may be, its not the stupidest one I've seen. I've already signed the petition against it.

Edit by Flight- AND contacted my congressman.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 12:16:59 am by Flight21 »

Spartan

• Follow my Twitter!
  • Champion Member
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 12:12:01 am »
I really dont care, it doesnt really matter :P So stop making a big deal about it and be like me,  8)

apij4125

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 09:39:18 am »
I think this bill already failed.