May 30, 2024, 01:27:06 pm

Author Topic: How to actually play games on Mac  (Read 2969 times)

SalsaInABowl

• AKA SalsaOnTheFloor
  • Champion Member
  • Retired. Find me on Steam or IG.
    • View Profile
How to actually play games on Mac
« on: January 28, 2014, 03:25:20 pm »
How? The hardware sucks. Any suggestions so that my max can actually even decently run games like TF2? The CPU clocks in at 2.4 GHz and has 4GB of RAM. That's just all you need to know about the hardware we're dealing with. And don't tell me not to get a MacBook. It's too late for that. Yeah. Basically same discussion as that one steam games topic.
I don't play Minecraft anymore and hardly come back to these forums. If you want to contact me, find me on Steam or Instagram. Username for everything is SalsaInABowl.

clawstrider

• The Clawsome One
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
Re: How to actually play games on Mac
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 04:50:56 pm »
The CPU clocks in at 2.4 GHz and has 4GB of RAM. That's just all you need to know about the hardware we're dealing with.

GPU? And have you tried monitoring load and seeing the cause of the problem?

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 05:23:58 pm »
How? The hardware sucks. Any suggestions so that my max can actually even decently run games like TF2? The CPU clocks in at 2.4 GHz and has 4GB of RAM. That's just all you need to know about the hardware we're dealing with. And don't tell me not to get a MacBook. It's too late for that. Yeah. Basically same discussion as that one steam games topic.
If it doesnt have the hardware to run games then it just doesnt have the hardware to run games, simple as that.
R.I.P. Blocky Jr. - Brutally killed by Kodak on accident

☣2crzy4uall☣

• Professional Redstoner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 09:21:06 pm »
I have the same 2.4Ghz and 4 gb ram on my macbook pro. I can run arma 2 and dayz on it. TF2 I would assume runs on it. My secret? Bootcamp windows on it, it runs really, really well on it, and windows is just better at running games.

clawstrider

• The Clawsome One
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 09:36:00 pm »
If it doesnt have the hardware to run games then it just doesnt have the hardware to run games, simple as that.

Yes, but his obviously does. He didn't bother to mention his GPU, but minimum amount of RAM for TF2 (Only game he mentioned) is 1Gb (He has 4). CPU speed is 1.7Ghz (He has 2.4). I'm going to assume his OS is up to date.

Chipaton

• Young One
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 09:50:21 pm »
Update your drivers. Make sure they're up to date.

Install Windows 8. Gaming on OSX is a joke.

Getting more RAM might help a little but 4gb should be ample for what you're doing.

Make sure you're running games at decent settings. Dont expect to max out TF2 or even get close.

Open it up and clean it. Some compressed air can clean that right out if you're having a cooling issue.

Another option would be to sell it and get a real computer. You should be able to get enough money out of a soccer mom to buy a real computer that can blow that thing out of the water. Im not talking about building either.

SalsaInABowl

• AKA SalsaOnTheFloor
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 11:05:00 pm »

Getting more RAM might help a little but 4gb should be ample for what you're doing.

Make sure you're running games at decent settings. Dont expect to max out TF2 or even get close.

Open it up and clean it. Some compressed air can clean that right out if you're having a cooling issue.

Another option would be to sell it and get a real computer. You should be able to get enough money out of a soccer mom to buy a real computer that can blow that thing out of the water. Im not talking about building either.

Hah, funny story. My dad won't let me get a gaming PC because I'm apparently not old enough for one. And The GPU is a total joke, only 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM. It is the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M. And the reason I asked this is because I had heard of people (namely crzy) playing games like Arma 2 on their MacBooks and it interested me because mine struggles to run Minecraft. I'll try to see if I can put Windoes on it but my dad isn't really supportive of PC gaming.
I don't play Minecraft anymore and hardly come back to these forums. If you want to contact me, find me on Steam or Instagram. Username for everything is SalsaInABowl.

Chipaton

• Young One
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 11:13:27 pm »

Hah, funny story. My dad won't let me get a gaming PC because I'm apparently not old enough for one. And The GPU is a total joke, only 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM. It is the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M. And the reason I asked this is because I had heard of people (namely crzy) playing games like Arma 2 on their MacBooks and it interested me because mine struggles to run Minecraft. I'll try to see if I can put Windoes on it but my dad isn't really supportive of PC gaming.
Just saying I was in the same boat with my parents, all I did was make a powerpoint that made them look retarded. I think this weekend Ill be taking my trip to Microcenter to get my parts.

SalsaInABowl

• AKA SalsaOnTheFloor
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 11:44:02 pm »

Just saying I was in the same boat with my parents, all I did was make a powerpoint that made them look retarded. I think this weekend Ill be taking my trip to Microcenter to get my parts.

This is a great idea. I'll throw in an essay as well. I think all I'll need to say is that it has an online service for free and it won't have to be replaced with another 500 dollar console in 5-7 years.

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 11:53:39 pm »

Yes, but his obviously does. He didn't bother to mention his GPU, but minimum amount of RAM for TF2 (Only game he mentioned) is 1Gb (He has 4). CPU speed is 1.7Ghz (He has 2.4). I'm going to assume his OS is up to date.

Not obvious at all..... You can't tell how good something will run with just ram and cpu speed. You need to know what kind of cpu and gpu also.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 11:55:23 pm by Nick3306 »
R.I.P. Blocky Jr. - Brutally killed by Kodak on accident

LIEKABOWSE

• Panda Trueno?!
    • View Profile
    • My PlanetMinecraft account
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 01:44:23 am »
Not old enough for a gaming pc? I convinced my dad to look up my laptop's specs and show him how slow some of the games would run, then I talked to him about building a pc. Just talk to him about it and give him your specs and compare it to how cheap you can build a really good PC. My build with all of the upgrades i've done comes in at $650ish. But you can build a pc that costs $450 that will double the performance of your macbook. If you're not in to building or your dad wont let you, you can buy a powerful pc but it'll be more than twice as expensive as building.

☣2crzy4uall☣

• Professional Redstoner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 01:54:11 am »
I'm in the proccess of selling my 2010 macbook pro anyway, found a great deal that's a nice upgrade from the macbook's stats.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834312829