May 17, 2024, 09:38:54 am

Author Topic: Abandoned Places - Guest World Clean-Up  (Read 5433 times)

Taskmaker

• SMP Trusted
    • View Profile
Abandoned Places - Guest World Clean-Up
« on: August 24, 2013, 05:47:53 am »
I'm sure many of you have seen me log on a time or two... I quietly work in the background, occasionally doing my own thing, and often working to clean up bits and pieces of Guest World. The place looks bad in many parts, due to long-abandoned structures and the griefing that comes with it. Periodically I'll see a building that looks like it used to be cool or even out-of-place, and patch up the damage that time creates on a public server. Sadly, many other times, I'll see the remnants of homes and shops so far gone, nothing remains but chests, doors and furnaces - the immovable things which pollute the landscape, always protected by a magical spell. It would be nice if they were gone. Quite often, their original owners, are. Absent from the server a year or more, and unlikely to return. It would be quite nice to be able to disable protection on such things - to poll the database of users and remove those who've been gone too long from the watchful eye of Precious Stones, allowing new users the good fortune of stumbling upon the spoils of those who've passed on, or simply allowing people like me (and those who'd love to improve those new users' first impressions of Guest World) to clean up the mess and make venturing outside of the Guest World spawn, a more inviting, welcoming opportunity.
I'm sure this has probably been discussed in the past... Thoughts?
What's on my Wishlist? Why Diamond Protection Stones, of course!

Click To Send a Message!

DeeKay

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
Re: Abandoned Places - Guest World Clean-Up
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 06:03:14 am »
This has been brought up several times in the past. I'm sure you've noticed this when walking around old parts of the world, but it's not only the structures that are a total mess, but the landscape is too. If we were to clean it up, a lot more than fixing houses and removing protections would need to be done, and frankly it's not worth the time and effort.

Those messy parts you see probably take up no more than 5% of the area on a world, and those are mostly buildings/areas close to the spawn. This is why there are new worlds and border expansions, so that there's compensation for the messy and un-buildable areas.

I wouldn't worry about things like this, every server comes across this and there's no reasonable fix to it besides deleting the map in the long run.

RuthlessTomato

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 10:52:17 am »
I have to disagree with xDeeKay about the 5% of the world is messy. I have my home about 2,000 blocks away from the old spawn, and in 500 blocks in everyway the landscape is destroyed as Tankmaker had said. We can't really do too much to fix it, but it is hard to make anything new there.

DeeKay

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 02:12:14 pm »
Maybe the percentage was a lie.. but everything else still stands. There's no point in having people focus their time cleaning it up, when:
A. People may not even notice the cleaned up areas, thus not building there.
B. People will build there again, leave it, and it will be messy again.

Like I said, this happens on every server, and isn't some sort of supernatural event to Opticraft.

Afro_

• No, don't look here look there --->
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 02:14:22 pm »
Well then I vote for a new world :P
Poor seaweed. He looks so weird toilets in a tree with no car on.
                  Opticraft:
SMP Trusted

RuthlessTomato

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 02:20:20 pm »
Deekay - I agree with your second point, a clean world would just become messy.

Afro - there are many places in the new guest world completely empty.

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 06:37:02 pm »
The old guest world is not really meant for people to play on anymore for that exact reason. We made a new guest world because we could no longer cleanup the old on in an feasible way. Keeping the old guest world was only to stop people from complaining about losing their builds.
R.I.P. Blocky Jr. - Brutally killed by Kodak on accident

Quattro92

• Saving the world one day at a time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 11:50:24 pm »
Keeping the old guest world was only to stop people from complaining about losing their builds.

And we greatly appreciate it!

2468avc

• SMP Trusted
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 12:45:17 am »
Keeping the old guest world was only to stop people from complaining about losing their builds.

+500
-2468avc

*Looking for a signature, feel free to make one for me :)*

SalsaInABowl

• AKA SalsaOnTheFloor
  • Champion Member
  • Retired. Find me on Steam or IG.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 03:32:04 am »
I refuse to leave OG world. +3
I don't play Minecraft anymore and hardly come back to these forums. If you want to contact me, find me on Steam or Instagram. Username for everything is SalsaInABowl.

JLSLover123

• Hi there :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 10:50:14 am »
The old guest has ALOT of areas to build in because the fact people moved to the Member world ''most have''

I now have alot of areas to make pretty castles and unicorns so there is no need for a ''cleanup'' Besides the signs say no building exactly out of the spawn and then boom,people build where they arent supposed to.

Sugna

• -woodenslime-
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2013, 08:27:58 pm »
Slime City is in the Old Guest and when it needs expanding n op helps remove all the stuff outside the walls so I can build there like doors and chests.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

OzzyKP

• I sleep with the fishes.
    • View Profile
    • National Youth Rights Association
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 01:38:14 pm »

+500

+501
Owner & Creator of Aquain, a huge underwater city in the old guest world.  Check out info on my underwater city here.

Ry_an_C

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 04:42:47 pm »
+5OO

crippnfeet

• I love Crippnfoot
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2013, 09:51:01 pm »
Its also very hard to tell if Its abandoned I had a player contact me, he other day from his second account to please help him restore his home since it had been completely. Destroyed and looked abandoned ... my point is ... some of us do go around fixing it but slowly since there IA sooooo much its very hard and the may not in fact be abandoned
~Grace~