May 02, 2024, 11:55:56 am

Author Topic: What do you wanna be when you grow up?  (Read 27267 times)

RuthlessTomato

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
Re: What do you wanna be when you grow up?
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2013, 12:19:14 pm »
This probably sounds somewhat immature, but I would love to be one to make the maps in videi games like call of duty.

360OLLIE

• Mank Demes
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2013, 04:39:55 pm »
This probably sounds somewhat immature, but I would love to be one to make the maps in videi games like call of duty.

Why would that be immature? Nothing wrong with being a video game designer.

Oh gosh here comes that list. I would like to be a music producer, famous violist, famous youtuber, some field job within law enforcment, businessman, automobile engineer, famous soccer player, and a video game producer/designer when I grow up. All random stuff.

Mr_Mr_Mr

• Veteran
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2013, 04:55:44 pm »
That actually seems like a lot and I mean a lot of fun, I'd love to do that.

---><--- Click the monkey

Afro_

• No, don't look here look there --->
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2013, 05:00:30 pm »
Oh yeah, and I forgot Soccer player (fam)
Poor seaweed. He looks so weird toilets in a tree with no car on.
                  Opticraft:
SMP Trusted

jh2018

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2013, 05:04:03 pm »
When I grow up, I would be probably a Navy SEAL for about 3 years, then, go into the Air Force for another 3 years, and then, when I'm finished with my military career, I'd probably like to sign with WWE.

CazualxGrenade

• Feelin βίος
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2013, 06:49:51 pm »
Some of the things I would want to be, is probably a Law Enforcer, a computer engineer, architect, a vet, professional instrument player (probably one instrument), or a special agent that goes undercover (sounds childish).
Bacon!
Message me for your random food for the day lol.

FNVcourierjon(SigilStone)

• Champion Member
  • Vault 102 Overseer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2013, 07:11:45 pm »
How would that be immature?  Why do you see video game developers and programmers then?  You don't sound like a wannabe to me :) I bet you would do well

Holy_Moses

• Operator
  • I'm still here
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2013, 07:14:54 pm »
In all honesty, I want to become an automotive/diesel technician. But after joining the Air Force I may end up sticking with repairing planes.
IG - @oem_moses

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2013, 08:03:27 pm »
Unfortunately, it is also another flooded field. If you want to work with video games i would highly suggest learning a lot of programming, these days just getting a degree in video game design is almost not worth it imo.
R.I.P. Blocky Jr. - Brutally killed by Kodak on accident

DeeKay

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2013, 08:05:22 pm »
Should probably change the topic title to 'What Nick wants you to be when you grow up'

gavin1928374655

• Sexy Mermaid
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2013, 09:12:58 pm »
Should probably change the topic title to 'What Nick wants you to be when you grow up'
Too bad more people dont listen to advice like this.
To all the people that want to be marine biologists... good luck

Also:
A famous youtuber.
For one, good luck with that lol
Also, being a "famous" youtuber will make you peanuts for money :P
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 09:15:33 pm by __gavin »

SalasCraft

• a.k.a. SaladCraft
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2013, 10:04:27 pm »
Unfortunately, it is also another flooded field. If you want to work with video games i would highly suggest learning a lot of programming, these days just getting a degree in video game design is almost not worth it imo.

I differ. It is true that with the programming knowledge you can pretty much do whatever, but the thing with the degree in game design is that it gives you expertise all around. Graphics, programming, etc. Which makes you more versatile when "looking for work" if you could call it that.

In my case, I'm already doing my degree on VGD, but my main focus is programming.

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2013, 12:40:28 am »

I differ. It is true that with the programming knowledge you can pretty much do whatever, but the thing with the degree in game design is that it gives you expertise all around. Graphics, programming, etc. Which makes you more versatile when "looking for work" if you could call it that.

In my case, I'm already doing my degree on VGD, but my main focus is programming.
But being the jack of all trades in a shrinking job market is not the best thing. It is better to just be an expert in one area (obviously depending on the area). Video games are getting more complex which means they are getting more expensive to develop. Small studios cant afford it and are either doing layoffs or closing down. Most places have game design under a computer science major but getting a general computer science degree will benefit you more since there are tons of jobs out there for coding, networking, ect that don't deal with games at all.
R.I.P. Blocky Jr. - Brutally killed by Kodak on accident

RuthlessTomato

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2013, 01:06:27 am »
there are enough people working for top shot gaming companies that you don't need to know how to code a game completely to make a map for one.

Holy_Moses

• Operator
  • I'm still here
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2013, 02:09:35 am »
there are enough people working for top shot gaming companies that you don't need to know how to code a game completely to make a map for one.
True. I spent a few semesters in my high schools Tech drawing class building maps in google sketchup lol
IG - @oem_moses