May 19, 2024, 09:55:07 pm

Author Topic: Ideas to bring back some of the survival aspect  (Read 8872 times)

Chief149

• Oppan Gangnam Style
    • View Profile
Ideas to bring back some of the survival aspect
« on: June 30, 2013, 03:45:58 am »
So below I have a few ideas of what could be done to make this server be a little more like survival. These are basically things that would make the game play more challenging which is what makes a server a true survival server.

1) Remove food from the market.
2) Add in hunger loss for teleporting based on distance. In other words, if I am on the far south end of the world, and I use /home to go to my home at the northmost end of the world, it only makes sense that I should have gotten a bit hungry from such a long journey.
3) Don't know how hard this would be to implement, but sleepiness would be interesting. What if we got sleepy after a certain amount of time and then had to sleep in a bed. It's simple, all players are 100% awake. Then after X amount of time, become sleepy. Simply rest in a bed to recharge your awakeness. If your awakeness reaches 0%, then you begin to take half hearts of damage every couple seconds until you reach half a heart (just like if you starved).

Best griefer name ^

RuthlessTomato

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas to bring back some of the survival aspect
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 03:59:18 am »
Pretty sure #3 would require mods, but i like them.

gavin1928374655

• Sexy Mermaid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 04:07:08 am »
Make the server harder? Says the guy who wanted a jetpack implemented...

Chief149

• Oppan Gangnam Style
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 04:44:41 am »

It wouldn't.

Server can do stuff serverside, and you can use chat to get stats such as awakeness percent.

Best griefer name ^

frobalt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 04:53:30 am »
The thing I've gotta ask here is: Why does it need to be more challenging?

I think the main problem with all 3 ideas is that they don't really make the game more challenging for people that have already got well-established, just more tedious.

1. Most people should grow their own food, as regularly buying from the market is quite expensive when you're eating a lot.
2. This just means you have to eat food more often, which won't make much of a difference to people that have access to a lot of food

3. This is the most tedious suggestion, as it doesn't really increase difficulty, all it means is you have to carry a bed around with you, which makes it a pain to work in the nether and the end as you can't place beds there. Also, it's a hell of a barrier for new players who will have to focus on getting a bed before doing anything, otherwise they'll find themselves dying a lot, unless it took ages to get to sleep, which would kill the whole point of the mechanic.

TL;DR: These suggestions only really add difficulty for a select amount of players (mostly new players) so wouldn't really be worth doing.

Sorry to sound harsh while shooting the idea down.

Your first suggestion is close to the mark for getting the server more like survival mode again, as the thing that makes it less survival is the economy. Well, mostly the ability to acquire blocks simply by having cash (the market). If we didn't have the market, it means we'd have to buy blocks from players, but we'd need the market to moderate the flow of cash - Without being able to sell blocks, no money could be pumped into the economy, but would exist only in a finite amount. If you could only sell blocks, the economy would constantly inflate, as there would be no way of money leaving it.

The only real way to make the server more like survival mode is to remove items from the market. Doing so would damage the economy, however.

It wouldn't.

Server can do stuff serverside, and you can use chat to get stats such as awakeness percent.

If this was implemented, you'd be screwing over players by forcing them to type in a command to check how tired they are. It would need to be on the hud for quick reference, especially since a lot of players would be confused at the initial implementation. New users certainly would be, as it would be unique to this server.

Nhataley

• ^ First Profile Pic in a long time. Thanks Zera!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 05:36:46 am »
To Increase the aspect of surivial In my mind would be to take out Buying wood or cobblestone from the market.

Mr_Mr_Mr

• Veteran
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 07:15:19 pm »
To Increase the aspect of surivial In my mind would be to take out Buying wood or cobblestone from the market.
No. Plain No.

---><--- Click the monkey

2468avc

• SMP Trusted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 12:52:55 am »

How about taking out the whole market?
-2468avc

*Looking for a signature, feel free to make one for me :)*

Mr_Mr_Mr

• Veteran
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 04:23:27 am »
Do you really want the market to be removed? We'll have to go back to trading with relkeb on a little path in the spawn using redstone as the currency. (1.8 reference)

---><--- Click the monkey

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 05:15:34 am »
Do you really want the market to be removed? We'll have to go back to trading with relkeb on a little path in the spawn using redstone as the currency. (1.8 reference)
Fun fact, me and relkeb spawned all that stuff just so we could offer them at lower prices than morten just to piss him off.
R.I.P. Blocky Jr. - Brutally killed by Kodak on accident

Duinis

• Arghblarglarghlpoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 05:36:06 am »
So below I have a few ideas of what could be done to make this server be a little more like survival. These are basically things that would make the game play more challenging which is what makes a server a true survival server.

1) Remove food from the market.
2) Add in hunger loss for teleporting based on distance. In other words, if I am on the far south end of the world, and I use /home to go to my home at the northmost end of the world, it only makes sense that I should have gotten a bit hungry from such a long journey.
3) Don't know how hard this would be to implement, but sleepiness would be interesting. What if we got sleepy after a certain amount of time and then had to sleep in a bed. It's simple, all players are 100% awake. Then after X amount of time, become sleepy. Simply rest in a bed to recharge your awakeness. If your awakeness reaches 0%, then you begin to take half hearts of damage every couple seconds until you reach half a heart (just like if you starved).

I just noticed, most of the stuff Chief posts is related to changing the server :I

It's fine the way it is, boi :P
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 05:38:04 am by Duinis »

2468avc

• SMP Trusted
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 11:20:43 am »
Fun fact, me and relkeb spawned all that stuff just so we could offer them at lower prices than morten just to piss him off.

Well, I meant that the server would be a lot more survival-ly if we had no market.
-2468avc

*Looking for a signature, feel free to make one for me :)*

TarynMai

• Admin
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 12:28:32 pm »

Well, I meant that the server would be a lot more survival-ly if we had no market.
Yeah but what about pstones?

DeeKay

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2013, 02:13:45 pm »
Let's just delete craftbukkit and have a vanilla server =D

cattfish0612

• Digging dirt one block at a time :l ^
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2013, 02:15:59 pm »
Let's just delete craftbukkit and have a vanilla server =D

Maybe we could also set it to hardcore and have admins spawn giants :)