May 04, 2024, 08:22:32 pm

Author Topic: How to get more players on a server?  (Read 3191 times)

LIEKABOWSE

• Panda Trueno?!
    • View Profile
    • My PlanetMinecraft account
How to get more players on a server?
« on: May 30, 2013, 02:24:07 am »
Hi,
basically I have run a minecraft server since about August, and we used to have an average of 10-15 people on. Now we have an average of 2-7. Most of my personal favorite players have moved on to play more on here. I'm just asking what the community thinks on how I could get more players on it because tbh running a server with three people on which are all staff gets boring.

Chief149

• Oppan Gangnam Style
    • View Profile
Re: How to get more players on a server?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 02:42:47 am »
Ok, here's what you do:

1) Post your server on to all the topsites. Good posts. Make your server look interesting.
2) Pay for the hide my ass vpn service for a month.
3) Design a software that automatically visits all of the topsites to vote on them repeatedly.
4) Design the above software to automatically switch which vpn server you are using on the HMA network (this changes your IP address).
5) Run the software for hours on end. The Hide My Ass VPN service has literally thousands of IP addresses that you can switch to. You wouldn't be able to use them all up before the 24 hou/12 hour vote periods were up.
6) Another idea is add some unique stuff to your server. Make your server a little unique, or just make sure it's fun.
7) If you do not have a website for your server, then get one up asap. Also do stuff like livemap and shit.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, you would have to implement some sort of captcha solving service into your auto vote application so it can send the "human verification" captchas to the solving service and get a response back. You also have to pay like $5 for 10,000 captcha solves. Honestly, not that expensive.

The entire above plan (assuming you already have the server itself as well as your webhost for your website paid up already) won't cost more than $20 for the entire month unless you hire a programmer to program the autovote software.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 02:45:22 am by Chief149 »

Best griefer name ^

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 03:18:38 am »
I know that you posted this in offtopic but asking players on one server how to make your server more attractive just looks plain bad.
R.I.P. Blocky Jr. - Brutally killed by Kodak on accident

hennydeez

• aka Henz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 01:12:57 pm »
Hi,
basically I have run a minecraft server since about August, and we used to have an average of 10-15 people on. Now we have an average of 2-7. Most of my personal favorite players have moved on to play more on here. I'm just asking what the community thinks on how I could get more players on it because tbh running a server with three people on which are all staff gets boring.

Instead of going through the trouble of hiring a dev or writing software related stuff...

Post your server on top voting sites, you should have votifier set up for this.
Make your submission elaborate - what your server offers etc.
Make your banner appealing and/or meaningful.

Introduce your server on sites that allow you to do so:
http://forums.bukkit.org/forums/show-off-your-bukkit-server.18/
http://www.minecraftforum.net/
etc.

Set up a rewards, or donation rewards for top voters to get them motivated for the upcoming months.
Establish a welcoming, warm community to retain your members.

That's all I could think of for now.

(click to show/hide)
Never knew Liek can write/design software.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 02:06:47 pm by BigBadHenz »

clawstrider

• The Clawsome One
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 04:25:03 pm »
Set up a rewards, or donation rewards for top voters to get them motivated for the upcoming months.

You mean take Opti's setup? Well, I guess it works...

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 09:01:52 pm »

You mean take Opti's setup? Well, I guess it works...
It isn't a coincidence that most players from opti who have their own servers have their servers almost mimic opti.
R.I.P. Blocky Jr. - Brutally killed by Kodak on accident

Chief149

• Oppan Gangnam Style
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 09:05:40 pm »
I have a better idea!

Make a unique gametype! Learn java, code a plugin which runs a gametype in normal minecraft which is fun and nobody has seen on a server before.

Best griefer name ^

clawstrider

• The Clawsome One
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 09:36:48 pm »
I have a better idea!

Make a unique gametype! Learn java, code a plugin which runs a gametype in normal minecraft which is fun and nobody has seen on a server before.

Problem with that is it's nearly impossible to build up a community.

If you play a Minecraft modded gamemode (I'm sure you can all think of one), do you play for the people, or for playing by yourself or with friends, for a few hours max?

Then compare it to Opticraft; I can't speak for you, but I know myself, that I have always found the game of Minecraft boring (Vanilla, that is), save for the building parts, which are always better in Creative with WorldEdit. However, I enjoy speaking to players, talking to the community, getting to know newer players.

Then compare both servers together; I think I know which server I'd rather choose my staffing team from.

LIEKABOWSE

• Panda Trueno?!
    • View Profile
    • My PlanetMinecraft account
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 09:44:02 pm »
I know that you posted this in offtopic but asking players on one server how to make your server more attractive just looks plain bad.
I was just asking how I could get more players on mine.

Anyways I have some problems with the server. I posted it on planetminecraft, and gained 7 new people in about 5 minutes. All of them besides two were complete douches and griefed the shit out of stuff out of spawn protection. And, i disabled pvp in server.properties, but for some reason pvp is on.. it's an smp server. Anyone have an idea on how to fix? I'll give you aplugin list if you need it.

Btw henz, i do not know java at the moment. Second btw, I use your stafftickets plugin, very nice.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 09:46:12 pm by LIEKABOWSE »