May 17, 2024, 06:02:04 pm

Author Topic: Reporting Felix_De_Kat  (Read 2855 times)

mcoon1

• Winter is Coming...
    • View Profile
Reporting Felix_De_Kat
« on: April 30, 2013, 08:22:21 pm »
I am a fairly quiet player who prides myself self on my altruism, helpfulness, and respectfulness. I love Opticraft, which is why I have played almost exclusively here for a half-year (Last month, I even donated to the server -something quite remarkable for a starving college student). This server has the most helpful, and friendliest staff members of any server I have ever... which is why I was so upset by being treated poorly by one of the same.

On 30 April, 2013 at 2:40pm, I was online when I realized that one of my (IRL) friends had hacked into my account (real hacking. We are 4th year Computer Science Students) and played a prank on me. Effectively, he had moved one of my /homes over an open trap door so that anytime that I warped there I would fall 256 blocks to my death (Admittedly, hilarious). I tried for about 10 minutes to correct the situation, but ended up doing more harm than good.

Frustrated and desperate, I turned /helpop to ask if anyone with fly privileges could simply help me close the trap door I kept falling through. It was at this point that Felix_De_Kat (on global chat) called me out, exasperatingly saying that he "would never help me close a trap door". I asked him to ignore the ticket, then, if he didn't want to help me.

He then (in global) went on to call me 'irresponsible' and told me (in global, still) with equal parts condescension and sarcasm that maybe, in time, I would "learn how to responsibly use /helpop".

I understandably felt insulted. For a person who was supposed to ensure a pleasant experience on the server, Felix_De_Kat was being decidedly unpleasant towards me -all because I got the nerve up to ask for help. I demanded that he apologize -not for being un-helpful, but for mocking me and being disrespectful in front of the entire server. Instead, he kicked me from the server in front of everyone. I rejoined about a minute later to find, much to my humiliation, the entire server talking about me.

I know that his behavior isn't representative of the staff on Opticraft as a whole, but I do want to bring this issue to your attention. I believe that, regardless of if a moderator is helping out a member or enforcing server rules, they should remember that they are representing Opticraft as a staff member and, thus, should do so politely (or at the very least un-insultingly).

Thank you for taking the time to read this. You guys rock!

Mr_Mr_Mr

• Veteran
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
Re: Reporting Felix_De_Kat
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 08:51:20 pm »
I believe one of the reasons felix could have done this is because maybe he thought you wanted him to abuse his powers and close a trap door you don't want to place blocks to get up to. Being specific when you use /helpop helps us do our job so much easier, because it tells us what you are wanting exactly instead of just wanting a trap door high up closed (assuming that is what felix thought you were wanting). Calling you irresponsible and telling you "in time you would learn how to use helpop resposibly" was wrong, instead he should have told you straight up how to use it appropriately.
Now, for everyone talking about you because you were kicked is because people ask what happened and felix tells them he kicked you, it's nothing to be ashamed or humiliated of, it's a simple kick that nobody will ever really care about in the next 30 seconds.

Note: These are assumptions of what happened and how to correct them, I have no clue exactly what happened.

---><--- Click the monkey

TarynMai

• Admin
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 09:21:45 pm »
Your account is your responsibility. It doesnt matter who the person is, its the account we go after. Felix easily coul've banned you for having a death trap at your home, you should be thankful he didnt. I apologize for the misunderstanding with him though, and I will talk to felix to get his side on this.

☣2crzy4uall☣

• Professional Redstoner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 12:22:13 am »
I'd also like to look into this, from your side of the story it seems that you kept using /helpop to ask the same thing, without explaining fully what was wrong, also why didn't you just delete your /home? or pillar up to it? I'd also like any screenshots you have of the conversation, as saying something in quotes doesn't actually mean that's what was said.

Felix

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 12:39:57 am »
I wish I had taken a screen shot of the chat, I did think about it but thought it wasn't that much of a deal to warrant doing it.. Hopefully there is a chat log out there (IRC?)

Although your post was well written, you seem to have 'missed' a few exchanges and added that I was "exasperatingly" telling you things... Lets get a one thing straight before I continue.. At no time was I mocking you, or being disrespectful towards you or did I call you "irresponsible" and I certainly wasn't exasperating over anything to do with you or our conversation!

Your helpop message simply said something along the lines of "Can you close a trapdoor at my home". I closed the ticket. If it's a trapdoor at your home, then you should be able to close it yourself and I did say that to you.

Everything from here on was done on Global chat and the conversation went something like (again, I don't have the chat log);
"you don't know what I mean etc etc", but still didn't explain anything! You certainly didn't explain that your 'friend' had hacked your account and made a deathtrap to which I replied... "Is it your trapdoor?"
You said that it was.. so using this information I informed you that "you can close it yourself, staff are not given fly mode for the benefit of players" and to "use /helpop responsibly". A perfectly reasonable response and within the staff guidelines!
You didn't like the unfavourable response and came back with the quip "ignore the ticket then, if you don't want to help me". At this point I concluded the conversation and carried on helping with something else.

You carried on for a few more minutes even with a few people advising you not to escalate what was a menial issue in to a problem. You wouldn't listen them as you wouldn't listen to me and then even had the audacity of demanded an apology for what YOU perceived as an insult towards you.

As it seemed that you had no intention to listen to anyone or anything, the easiest way of getting your attention was to kick you with a similar message "Staff are not given fly mode for the benefit of themselves or players, use helpop responsibly" (I think I even had a "please" in there too).

Someone did ask on Global if you had been kicked, but no one was talking about you 'being' kicked and I certainly did not say to anyone (privately or in Global) that I had in fact kicked you at all. All anyone would have seen was you leave and then come back on, as many people do when 'relogging'. To think that people were talking about you is perhaps simply paranoia on your behalf.

Now, down to the nitty-gritty of this issue;

If your friend had set one of your homes above a trapdoor and then opened it causing you to fall to your death, it is then up to you, not us to;
  • Change your /home to a different 'safe' place within the structure to prevent you or anyone using your "/home" falling to their death again.
  • Climb back to the trapdoor and close it (perhaps even removing it completely) and then have strong words with your 'friend' for logging (or hacking) in to your account with out permission and making a death trap at your home. We didn't cause this issue for you, your friend did.

This is something that we don't find hilarious, your account is compromised and you have/had a deathtrap - Both offences that can lead to a ban. I didn't because you finally said that you had in fact managed to do it yourself (in the end).

But all said, if you felt belittled then I apologise, it was not my intention! But hopefully, now we have you attention, you will have;
  • Changed your login details
  • Changed your home location
  • Sorted the trapdoor so that it can not kill people
As you may have noticed, I have been inactive for a while.
I decided to leave Opticraft for a few reasons.
Goodbye & Good luck in all your endeavours!

cschurz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 04:27:54 am »
I was online when I realized that one of my (IRL) friends had hacked into my account (real hacking. We are 4th year Computer Science Students)

lol

mcoon1

• Winter is Coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 05:54:24 am »
I was online when I realized that one of my (IRL) friends had hacked into my account (real hacking. We are 4th year Computer Science Students)

lol

Let me elaborate... my friend hacked my Linux machine from his while we were in lab and installed a key-logger (Actually, pretty good work). He managed to do it without ever touching my computer.

I only made this distinction because it DRIVES ME CRAZY when people find other people's accounts open and then post something stupid like "Haaaaackckckckckckckckkkeeddddddd!!!!!!".

-For the record, though: It wasn't a death trap. It was just a tall building with a hole in the top. The moving of the /home (unfortunately) re-purposed the building. 

-Also, I only put in one ticket. I know the spamming rules.

Felix: I understand that, perhaps, you did not understand the situation entirely... but you have to understand that this was necessary. If I had explained (as you said) you probably would have banned me.  I understand the rules of the game and was worried that I was going to have to pick between losing access to a large build or risk accidentally killing someone who warped to one of my homes.

I know that fly is not to be used by staff to benefit themselves, but be honest: staff use it ALL the time. I've seen it used in build competitions, even. I really just needed a discrete bit of personal help to easily fix a possibly large situation... but you wouldn't even listen. You assumed that you knew the problem, even when I told you that you didn't understand, and in the process made me look stupid. There is a reason that the tickets are not broadcasted in global. There is also a reason that we have access to the /msg command. I would have liked a bit less dismissal and a bit more understanding and discression from someone that I thought that I should have been able to trust.

Sorry to Double-post, but I did not want this to get lost in the last message:

Can you please lock this topic? I feel like I have been heard, and am satisfied by the resolution.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 06:05:35 am by Tobs »

cschurz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 06:17:37 am »

lol

Let me elaborate... my friend hacked my Linux machine

that's not elaboration :( your friend has a sweet 0day in the linux kernel?

Nyssa

• dedlymagik
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 09:11:16 am »
I have logs, I'll sort it out. Don't know why some of you actually replied.
Locked.