May 18, 2024, 07:35:55 pm

Author Topic: Guest server  (Read 2711 times)

DjDh12

• Why isn't FE: The Binding Blade in English?
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel (not being used now)
Guest server
« on: March 18, 2013, 07:05:39 pm »
I was playing one day and wandered to myself "Why is it so laggy?"  I then typed /who and saw the guests were overflowing the server. Today I thought of a solution: Make a new server for the guests. I also figured it would be too much work and was impractical, and did not want to post it. But I am anyway.

raul7legend

• Israeli Operator
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
Re: Guest server
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 08:07:40 pm »
I also figured it would be too much work and was impractical, and did not want to post it. But I am anyway.
So why did you make a post about it?

(and I'll be honest with you, it's not a good idea.)

tiggy26668

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 09:09:15 pm »
I also figured it would be too much work and was impractical, and did not want to post it. But I am anyway.

actually it's not really a bad idea to split the server load across more than one server as it would save on cpu/memory usage and would actually allow for higher mob caps/larger worlds and things of that nature. not to mention it's possible to link worlds across servers as I've seen it done on other servers.

big problem with the idea is opti would need to buy a new server or rent one so either like $2-3k up front or what like $60 a month? i'm not really sure on pricing but i know buying a server isn't cheap.

also any lag you're experiencing as of late is more than likely attributed to the fact that we're running a dev build of bukkit since 1.5 just came out and a good stable release takes a week or two to come out. The lag will more than likely go away without needing a new server.
I'm Much more smarter admin than whoever banned me.

Pensfan121

• SMP-Trusted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 09:23:54 pm »
To start I don't think the chances for this idea are high concise ring Opticalza has to pay $300 a month to keep the server running (I'm not sure about the price either). But it is a valid point that you are making. If after the guests became a member they would automatically go to the current server. But in the end this is not really a "problem" worth all that money or time.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 09:25:36 pm by Pensfan121 »

Mr_Mr_Mr

• Veteran
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 09:31:06 pm »
We don't need 2 separate servers, we already have 2 separate worlds. (guest/member)
I think it would be more cost efficient if we upgraded the VPS statistics than to buy a whole new VPS for guests.

---><--- Click the monkey

DJAlphaWolf

• Former "Super Recruit"
  • Champion Member
  • Self Proclaimed Opticraft Entertainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 09:33:55 pm »
Staff would have to manage both servers. -.-

Besides the whole idea of splitting the server up so superior ranks get to have more privelege such as a guest-less server doesn't sound like it would be a very well liked idea by the admins.

And its just too complicated.

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 10:16:35 pm »

actually it's not really a bad idea to split the server load across more than one server as it would save on cpu/memory usage and would actually allow for higher mob caps/larger worlds and things of that nature. not to mention it's possible to link worlds across servers as I've seen it done on other servers.

big problem with the idea is opti would need to buy a new server or rent one so either like $2-3k up front or what like $60 a month? i'm not really sure on pricing but i know buying a server isn't cheap.

also any lag you're experiencing as of late is more than likely attributed to the fact that we're running a dev build of bukkit since 1.5 just came out and a good stable release takes a week or two to come out. The lag will more than likely go away without needing a new server.
Your $60 a month is off by over $200.
R.I.P. Blocky Jr. - Brutally killed by Kodak on accident

Mr_Mr_Mr

• Veteran
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 11:45:16 pm »

Well I sure hope he gets a nice flow of donations, damn.

---><--- Click the monkey

tiggy26668

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 11:58:33 pm »

well i did say i wasn't sure..... and that it wasn't cheap... so there's that.....
I'm Much more smarter admin than whoever banned me.

SalsaInABowl

• AKA SalsaOnTheFloor
  • Champion Member
  • Retired. Find me on Steam or IG.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 01:22:57 am »
This suggestion...no. This is ridiculous, we went from Trusted wanting more perks to guests wanting more perks.
I don't play Minecraft anymore and hardly come back to these forums. If you want to contact me, find me on Steam or Instagram. Username for everything is SalsaInABowl.

Morrison1996

• I am the spawn of 2 worlds. I AM SlenderBrine.
  • Former moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 11:28:25 am »
Well since no one seems to have a positive attitude to this I feel like it could be locked.