May 26, 2024, 11:38:06 am

Author Topic: I could use some of your brains.  (Read 3014 times)

SalasCraft

• a.k.a. SaladCraft
    • View Profile
I could use some of your brains.
« on: February 27, 2013, 09:10:23 pm »
Hello guys. Long time no see. Busy with college and all that good stuff.

Anyways I am taking a programming class and I am wondering if any of you are familiar with Visual Basic language, as I could use some help. It's a fairly simple language but I find C++ to be much easier.

If any of you know a thing or two about it let me know :P

RuthlessTomato

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
Re: I could use some of your brains.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 09:20:13 pm »
Salascraft! :0

i have no idea what you are talking about though.

Chief149

• Oppan Gangnam Style
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 09:44:03 pm »
What do you need help with?

I know C# and Java, but Visual Basic uses the .NET framework so it's pretty much the same as C# but with a different syntax layout. Meanwhile C++ also uses .NET and is similar to C# except for it being managed, and compiled into native code.

Anyways, I recommend C++ to start off with. Ironically Java was my first programming language, but C++ goes from the basics to the complex memory stuff which you can't really do in java without using the Windows assemblies alongside JNA and JNI.

Aside from that small bit of text, PM me if you need some help.

Best griefer name ^

square_skull

• Heeeeere's Skully!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 10:33:26 pm »
say, i know absolutely nothing on this but after you help salas,
could you possibly help me learn the basics of programming? I
am planning on making websites and mods.

Is it alright if I ask this on your topic Salas? or should I edit this
post so you can't see it until you've got your question, or should
I not keep this question on here at all?

yours thankful,
Square_Skull

Chief149

• Oppan Gangnam Style
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 10:41:20 pm »
I don't have time to teach people the full basics of programming.

However Youtube does have a lot of great video tutorials which teach all of the programming basics. If you do have a question or two then I'd be happy to answer them, but I can't do full lessons especially since there are a lot of programming basics to cover.

Best griefer name ^

square_skull

• Heeeeere's Skully!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 11:19:34 pm »
thanks for the advice, say, wouldn't youtube also help
salas with his needs?

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 12:06:11 am »
Until now i have never heard anyone say they found c++ easier than VB, it has always been the other way around. The problem with c++ is that it gets difficult very fast.
R.I.P. Blocky Jr. - Brutally killed by Kodak on accident

kagarium

• I'm alive, but inactive.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 12:57:03 am »
Ah, basic :) i love basic

Basic is pretty simple really

I'm actually not sure if this is the same BASIC you are specifying.

Here is what I have to say on the version of BASIC I use.

I will see if I can find the download, and I can send it to you in a forum message if you would like.

(click to show/hide)

I hope this helps.

:D

-kag
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 08:05:12 pm by kag1999 »
IGN: kag1999_ (now kagarium, thanks butter)

Quote from: Nick3306
I saved 100% on car insurance by switching to no car insurance

Chief149

• Oppan Gangnam Style
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 01:19:29 am »
Until now i have never heard anyone say they found c++ easier than VB, it has always been the other way around. The problem with c++ is that it gets difficult very fast.

I know what you mean dude. Took me forever just to figure out how to get a function to return an array. Well, you just can't do that. Instead you must return a pointer to an array, and de-reference that pointer to get the array :(

Best griefer name ^

kagarium

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 01:29:09 am »

I know what you mean dude. Took me forever just to figure out how to get a function to return an array. Well, you just can't do that. Instead you must return a pointer to an array, and de-reference that pointer to get the array :(
I would take BASIC over c++ (or any computer language for that matter) any day. I belive that BASIC is..... well.... basic :P

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 02:33:20 am »

I would take BASIC over c++ (or any computer language for that matter) any day. I belive that BASIC is..... well.... basic :P
C++ is MUCH more versatile than basic and has far more uses as far as real world applications.

I have honestly never tried that but at least now i know how to do it lol. I'm in my second class for C++ at the University of Michigan and the jump in difficulty between the 2 classes is unlike anything i have ever witnessed lol.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 03:06:18 am by Nick3306 »
R.I.P. Blocky Jr. - Brutally killed by Kodak on accident

kagarium

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 02:50:22 am »

C++ is MUCH more versatile than basic and has far more uses as far as real world applications.
I am aware of that, but i have not yet stumbled into programming classes yet, but that is my plan for the future. by the time i get to college therell prob be an c+++ :P
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 02:52:11 am by ^_^ kag ^_^ »

Chief149

• Oppan Gangnam Style
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 03:06:44 am »

I have honestly never tried that but at least now i know how to do it now lol. I'm in my second class for C++ at the University of Michigan and the jump in difficulty between the 2 classes is unlike anything i have ever witnessed lol.

Yeah if you ever have to return an array from a function then just don't. Make the array of the necessary size you need, and pass it as a parameter. So much easier as long as you don't overwrite the parameter array with a new one.

I've just been kinda learning C++ on my own since I already know C# and Java, and I know VB.NET but have never had a reason to need to know it.

Btw, native applications (C++) can run in kernel mode so you can bypass a lot of the operating system layer so long as you know what you're doing at the low level side of things.

Best griefer name ^

kagarium

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 08:02:49 pm »
Even though i use basic a lot and have dwindled in C# a little bit, I have actually never learned to code with java :-\ i look to do that in the near future, for quite a number of reasons. I would list them but it would take up a lot of room.

The main reason is for things i plan to do with my server in the near future though.

Hopefuly it will also help in the near future for computing and programming classes i may take later in high school and/or in college, as having some experience in previous programming