June 16, 2024, 06:31:14 am

Author Topic: OPTIC Rail Lines  (Read 14488 times)

Chief149

• Oppan Gangnam Style
    • View Profile
OPTIC Rail Lines
« on: January 17, 2013, 02:32:59 am »
So I've had an idea of making a huge rail line system now that I have a working iron farm for me to get the iron and money I'd need to build the thing.

The idea is to span a rail line which would cross the entire map. There would be an inner and outer loop for a total of 16 rail stations. Each rail station would have local lines to go to a few smaller locations which are local to the area. The local area lines would have two tracks (one departing and one arriving to avoid railway collision).

The main rail track would support 4 minecart tracks, as well as two of them that would be strictly for cargo transport (plus a single rider in order to make sure the chunks load so the materials are transported all the way down the line).

I wouldn't make this to be a private system. I don't need such a mega system, so I intend on making the system public. However I need some kinks to work out. The biggest one which could potentially solve every problem is minecart collision. I need ideas which will keep all minecarts going in one direction. On the super track two of the minecarts plus one of the cargo tracks would be going in one direction, and the other cargo and other two human tracks would go in the other direction. However I need a way to prevent players from colliding. I need a way to guarantee that my minecarts will always go in the intended direction. Even in the event of a player getting out of their minecart and attempting to push it backwards. I also need a solution to prevent collision in the event that a player teleports away from, or disconnects from the server, which would cause the minecart to be left stopped on the tracks. I need a way to allow any oncoming trains to collide with a stopped cart, but while also allowing things to keep moving in the right direction. Suggestions on this would be excellent.

Secondly, would you use a system like this? A global minecart system going around the whole world to local stops?

Benefits:
     - Each station could have one or two player shops that people could rent from me to help stimulate the market
     - If chest shops somehow get implemented then my stations would provide a great host for them
     - Villager transport, and villager trading, would be incredibly easy with this system (same with animal trade)
     - Large quantities of cargo transport would be a sinch as the redstone update would allow for an automatic load/unload system to be created on the cargo lines.

Best griefer name ^

benc117

• View Profile
Re: OPTIC Rail Lines
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 02:40:14 am »
Like the Idea but it would take a little bit to make
Instragram: @ben.callaghan
Email: ben.callaghan.2001@hotmail.com
IGN: Benc117

hammysandwhich

• I once had a fear of hurdles, but I got over it.
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 03:04:55 am »
Yeah this would be cool, but which world?
if you die in canada do you die in real life?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

RuthlessTomato

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 03:20:33 am »
I wanna help : D. My iron farm is almost done, so i can help with rails too. Also, for the colision thing, small loops of rails and you stop at a rail if you see a player.

Chief149

• Oppan Gangnam Style
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 03:45:14 am »
I wanna help : D. My iron farm is almost done, so i can help with rails too. Also, for the colision thing, small loops of rails and you stop at a rail if you see a player.

The tracks thing wont work. It needs to be an automatic system. This thing cannot rely on any human to do things right because at some point the person will screw up. I'm almost thinking of using downward slope track. Each downward sloped track will have a pressure sensor track in front of it to power it when a minecart comes by, and a push button. If there's a collision then the cart goes to the deactivated sloped track. Then player just presses the button and moves again.

Also, with the helping part, I suppose you could help, but that won't be for a while. First I need to make sure I have all of the systems and functions nailed down.

Yeah this would be cool, but which world?

New Guest world

Like the Idea but it would take a little bit to make

Someone built a 50 by 50 bedrock to sky automatic melon/pumpkin farm in one month. The entire outside is decorated with colored wool. I believe it's leganie's farm. I was told it took him only about a month to build. I think I could build this track system in less than a month minus the stations.

Best griefer name ^

RuthlessTomato

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 03:47:16 am »
Maybe use of 1.5 comperators?

hammysandwhich

• I once had a fear of hurdles, but I got over it.
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 03:48:15 am »
Why not member :(

Well never the less, I'll help, maybe later we could make another one in the member world?

My 100th post! Yay

Hammy
if you die in canada do you die in real life?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

TarynMai

• Admin
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 03:49:10 am »
This kind of sounds like its really just going to take up a bunch of space that guests or others couldve used to build other things.

NathanialJones

• SMP Builder and cool guy extrodinare!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 03:49:48 am »
There's been PLENTY of people to try, hopefully you'll succeed. But don't forget, how will you protect it? It would be the perfect place to greif. Also it would be cool if people could make their own branches to their houses or cities, there would be a little place to stop too to get on the other track . I'll also help build the stations, I'm a good builder,  ask goalie.
About posts, how do you even post a post?

Chief149

• Oppan Gangnam Style
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 04:38:56 am »
This kind of sounds like its really just going to take up a bunch of space that guests or others couldve used to build other things.

Way to be a downer.

The stations will of course take up space like any other build, but I won't go crazy with the size of the stations.

As for the tracks, the main track tunnels will be constructed so the outer dimensions will be 7 blocks wide, 10 blocks tall.

For protection, coal PS stones I suppose being as they protect an 11 by 11 area, although for this I might apply for project protection. I know project protection normally protects bedrock to sky for the protected region, but all I'd need would be for the track segments themselves to be protected. I could even protect the stations with my own protection stones. Plus I could bury part of the main tracks to keep it out of the way a little more.

Best griefer name ^

iGenerator

• Super Trusted
  • Champion Member
  • Mayor of Rosenberg
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 04:50:34 am »
Seems like a waste of your time, it would also be a pain to protect
Major Igenerator
City Planner for Stuttgart

DP

TarynMai

• Admin
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 04:59:35 am »

Way to be a downer.

The stations will of course take up space like any other build, but I won't go crazy with the size of the stations.

As for the tracks, the main track tunnels will be constructed so the outer dimensions will be 7 blocks wide, 10 blocks tall.

For protection, coal PS stones I suppose being as they protect an 11 by 11 area, although for this I might apply for project protection. I know project protection normally protects bedrock to sky for the protected region, but all I'd need would be for the track segments themselves to be protected. I could even protect the stations with my own protection stones. Plus I could bury part of the main tracks to keep it out of the way a little more.
Im not a downer, Im realistic.
Theres no way youd get project protection with rails going around the world. The zone for protection is a cube, basically, youd want to try to protect the entire world, or make the admins do it in little bits, which would be insanely irritating. Also, thats still pretty big, it adds up, and someone seriously could've used that space for something much more useful and nice to look at.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 05:01:58 am by awesomealicia »

bantam2

• Oᴘᴇʀᴀᴛᴏʀ
  • Straight Outta Compton
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 05:07:21 am »

Way to be a downer.

Im not a downer, Im realistic.
Theres no way youd get project protection with rails going around the world. The zone for protection is a cube, basically, youd want to try to protect the entire world, or make the admins do it in little bits, which would be insanely irritating. Also, thats still pretty big, it adds up, and someone seriously could've used that space for something much more useful and nice to look at.

Alicia is right, there is no way to get project protection for this. I don't think that you should abandon your project because of that, but it does mean buying a lot of protection stones. I think that this idea overall can turn out well if you put some hard work into it. If you stick to the dimensions that you have stated, I don't think it will take up that much space. Good luck.

Chief149

• Oppan Gangnam Style
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 05:31:53 am »
And I could bury it of course. I could place the tracks underground.

Project protection zones are cubes which are set using worldedit. The worldedit api is used to select a cubical area. Now, in this case, my tracks would make a square shape on the inside and outside. The idea is cpu efficiency.

If I get project protection on just the cuboids that make up the tracks, then 8 cuboids would need to be protected. These 8 cuboids would be the inner and outer squares of track (or the 4 sides of a square outlined by a main rail). However, if I use coal protection stones, hundreds of cuboids would be made, and every one of them would need to be checked by the server to ensure that the structure is not griefed. It would save a lot of cpu if the 8 segments of track were to be protected by 8 protection regions. Once again, these protected regions would not go one block past the rail tube. Lets say there are 4 extensions of track, each of which is 1000 blocks. So in other words, four stretches of 1000 block long rail tracks would be in the shape of a square. Each track tube is 7 by 10 blocks. So this means four regions would be made, each of which would be 7 X 10 X 1000 blocks. Unlike traditional city project protection where one giant cuboid going from bedrock to sky protects the area, a smaller set of cuboids do the job. Anyone would be able to build around the track. Hell, I wouldn't care if players placed blocks against the track itself so long as the internal tracks aren't griefed. The world is so huge that these tracks wouldn't get in the way.

Of course I could just use the estimated 650-700 coal protection stones required to protect the tracks. Could be more, might be less. Or just have 8 larger protections strictly protecting the main track line tubes. Anything else (the train stops and the local branching tracks) would be protected by my own protection stones.

Also alicia, who says I can't make the rails look sexy?

Best griefer name ^

TarynMai

• Admin
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 05:34:40 am »
I wasnt talking about the cpu usage, I was talking about how annoying/impossible it would be for the admins to zone it.

I say.