June 08, 2024, 11:17:49 pm

Author Topic: OPTIC Rail Lines  (Read 14369 times)

bantam2

• Oᴘᴇʀᴀᴛᴏʀ
  • Straight Outta Compton
    • View Profile
Re: OPTIC Rail Lines
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2013, 02:56:50 am »
Well, it seems like any protection would not work. If you have zoned areas or protection stones, in order for people to place minecarts, or use buttons in zoned areas, you would need to add them to the zone or protected field. In doing so, you would defeat the whole purpose of protection.

NathanialJones

• SMP Builder and cool guy extrodinare!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2013, 03:07:24 am »
Simple, just make the part where you go in the minecart unprotected.
About posts, how do you even post a post?

__pORKCHOPS

• The frenchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2013, 03:24:16 am »
you could protect it with signs... but i would be long :P

Chief149

• Oppan Gangnam Style
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2013, 03:28:21 am »
Well, it seems like any protection would not work. If you have zoned areas or protection stones, in order for people to place minecarts, or use buttons in zoned areas, you would need to add them to the zone or protected field. In doing so, you would defeat the whole purpose of protection.

Bantam, my idea is to have project protection only on the main lines. Then I would protect the stations with my own PS stones except for the small area where the minecarts are placed. Then the only area to worry about as far as grief would be a small strip where the minecarts are placed and picked up. Although is there maybe a flag that can be set with the protection stones allowing for stuff like minecarts to be placed or picked up while also blocking any blocks from being destroyed?

Best griefer name ^

Morrison1996

• I am the spawn of 2 worlds. I AM SlenderBrine.
  • Former moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2013, 01:24:04 pm »
So this rail system would go across the map? If so then project protect probably wont work for the rail lines. That would be a lot of area protected.

Chief149

• Oppan Gangnam Style
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2013, 02:24:52 am »
So this rail system would go across the map? If so then project protect probably wont work for the rail lines. That would be a lot of area protected.

You obviously haven't read the previous posts. The idea was to have only the rails be guarded by world guard. There would be 8 different protected regions.

Best griefer name ^

iGenerator

• Super Trusted
  • Champion Member
  • Mayor of Rosenberg
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2013, 08:30:25 am »
what is the point of protecting the lines if people cant place a minecart on them?
Major Igenerator
City Planner for Stuttgart

DP

NathanialJones

• SMP Builder and cool guy extrodinare!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2013, 07:22:24 pm »
*facepalm*
Didn't you read the post above?!
Simple, just make the part where you go in the minecart unprotected.
And you need protection so none griefs this HUGE rail line.
There will be stations where you can get on and off.
About posts, how do you even post a post?

Chief149

• Oppan Gangnam Style
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2013, 01:50:40 am »
Ok, since people don't like reading long threads like this one to get up to date with things (totally understandable, I don't want to read 50+ posts in a thread to know what people have been saying), I will recap what's up.

So the issue at hand is protection.

What has been discussed?

Well the argument is this couldn't get protection because the whole map would have to be protected. WRONG. I would simply have 8 or 9 perfectly straight segments of minecart tracks which form the square tracks going around the map. Only the track segments (no blocks below, above, or to the sides of the tracks) would be protected. The minecart stations also wouldn't be protected by project protection. Now there would need to be 8 or 9 different project protection regions made, but that's a lot better than the hundreds required to protect the tracks with coal ores.

Now the stations themselves where the tracks are loaded and unloaded would be protected by ores. Basically it is feasible for me to protect the stations myself, unlike the main lines themselves, therefore it isn't necessary for the stations to be protected. I would simply arrange the protection stones so that the small area where the minecart is placed would be unprotected.

Best griefer name ^

Morrison1996

• I am the spawn of 2 worlds. I AM SlenderBrine.
  • Former moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2013, 01:58:45 am »
Ok so that sounds better as far as my concerns with the mass protection but the problem I see is the only rails being protected. I'm not sure that the world guard or what ever system we use for city protection could be set up to protect only certain blocks. I may be wrong but that is my thinking other wise I think this is a great idea and would be used often.

tiggy26668

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2013, 02:59:14 am »
to solve the issue of getting on the line, all you need is a public dispenser at each station, put in a minecart, press a button, it places it on the track. could toss a few inbetween to in case you break your cart/something happens
I'm Much more smarter admin than whoever banned me.

kagarium

• I'm alive, but inactive.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2013, 05:14:10 am »
to solve the issue of getting on the line, all you need is a public dispenser at each station, put in a minecart, press a button, it places it on the track. could toss a few inbetween to in case you break your cart/something happens
that's a good idea, but I see 2 problems:

1: who's gonna keep refilling every single dispenser on the track, especially cause minecarts don't stack :/
2: who's to say some asshole isn't gonna come and take all the minecarts?

those r the only problems I can think of ATM, but there's probably more flaws
IGN: kag1999_ (now kagarium, thanks butter)

Quote from: Nick3306
I saved 100% on car insurance by switching to no car insurance

Chief149

• Oppan Gangnam Style
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2013, 05:26:10 am »
Ok so that sounds better as far as my concerns with the mass protection but the problem I see is the only rails being protected. I'm not sure that the world guard or what ever system we use for city protection could be set up to protect only certain blocks. I may be wrong but that is my thinking other wise I think this is a great idea and would be used often.

When they set city/project protection, they just select the two specified x/z coordinates, and then expand the field from bedrock to sky.
With the protection I am wondering about in advance, the protection would only protect the 8 or 9 cuboids that are the minecart track tubes themselves which will hold the set of 4-6 rails. Then I protect the train stations using PS.

Best griefer name ^

tiggy26668

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2013, 06:40:31 am »
that's a good idea, but I see 2 problems:

1: who's gonna keep refilling every single dispenser on the track, especially cause minecarts don't stack :/
2: who's to say some asshole isn't gonna come and take all the minecarts?

those r the only problems I can think of ATM, but there's probably more flaws

Well assholes will b assholes nothing you can do about that

But for the rest of us we can use the honor system n put a cart back

Better yet if you're planning on going on the rail just bring your own cart, maybe even an extra to toss in for the next person, not like minecarts are expensive
I'm Much more smarter admin than whoever banned me.

RuthlessTomato

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2013, 11:54:38 am »
I have a solution. You protect not the rails but just thd bottom at the stations.