May 13, 2024, 02:13:42 pm

Author Topic: Reform for top_voter rewards  (Read 11458 times)

mcoon1

• Winter is Coming...
    • View Profile
Re: Reform for top_voter rewards
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2012, 06:28:23 am »
Agreed:

..So, does anyone have any input on TOP_VOTER reform (not normal voter rewards involving diamonds)? Any possible flaws with having a raffle at the end of the month?

Wyboth

• Champion Member
  • No longer active - contact me on Reddit.
    • View Profile
    • Contact me via reddit
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2012, 06:52:09 am »
Yes, I see a flaw with replacing the current TOP_Voter rewards with a raffle. Let's do some math, shall we? Let's say the three normal top voters each got 150 votes. Let's also say that 4th-10th place each got 140 votes. Now, assuming those were all of the players who voted, the number of top voter "tickets" in the raffle are 450, while the number of non-top voter tickets are 980. Already you can see where I'm going with this. That means for each top voter, they have a 150/1430 chance of winning, or a 10.4% chance. And that's just within the top 10! Say there were 100 other people who voted 40 times. That makes a total of 1,380 votes, which lowers a top voter's chances to 150/5430 of winning, or 2.76%. And these are the high-commitment, button punching, captcha typing people on every 12 hours to try and earn their spot among the donation reward elite! For all of their hard work, they have a 2.76% chance of winning! If there aren't already big holes in this idea for you, then I'll tell you that the chance of one of the people who voted 40 times is 0.73%. Not that much of a difference! People will then start saying, "Why should I vote again? It won't make me any more likely to win the reward." So then votes will plummet, and so will server ranking, then members online, and finally revenue. Now, is that such a good idea?

Disclaimer: I am not being argumentative. I am simply stating my reasons why I think this is a bad idea. None of this is meant to be taken personally, as it so often is. I hope that by posting this I do not hinder any relationships with any Opticraft members now or in the future.

I am inactive. Click here to send me a message that I'll actually see.

mcoon1

• Winter is Coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2012, 07:16:31 am »
That is a very good point...

So why don't you limit who gets entered by making a minimum number of votes? Take only those who voted over 100 times?    Or maybe take only the votes of the top 25? Maybe make every vote after 100 worth 5 tickets?

Wyboth

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
    • Contact me via reddit
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2012, 07:23:42 am »
I'd recommend keeping the current TOP_VOTER rewards if we do adopt the raffle plan, just so those who deserve it don't get blown off. Anyways, a minimum vote limit could work, but it would require lots of fine tuning, and those who are falling behind on votes and know they won't meet the quota would be demotivated as well. I feel like if we do have a minimum vote limit it would have to keep getting downsized, like from the top 100, to the top 25, to the top 10, to the top 3... and then you're back where you started.

RuthlessTomato

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2012, 11:18:14 am »
You think that would demotivate them? Im sure all those people out there who see theyre 20 votes behind are demotivated.

Wyboth

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
    • Contact me via reddit
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2012, 12:31:18 pm »
Well, that is true. I guess my point is that it won't motivate them any further.

cschurz

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2012, 03:29:01 pm »
That is good and all... but I think that we need to look beyond what the "ultra-dedicated" few want and look to what would be better for the server. As they stand, the "Top_Voter" rewards are great, but they really only affect ~15 people. I am proposing reform that would encourage a person who may have 1/2 of the votes of the number one voter (which is still an impressive contribution) to continue to vote as often as they can.

I know that the current system is fun... but think about how many people it actually encourages to vote. The top 10? 15? A raffle would encourage EVERYONE to vote as often as they can. The way I see it, when it really comes down to it, a raffle would be a MUCH better use of the resources that are currently being expended in an effort to encourage voting.

..So, does anyone have any input on TOP_VOTER reform (not normal voter rewards involving diamonds)? Any possible flaws with having a raffle at the end of the month?

i think your original suggestion is confused; is your goal to open the "top voter" rank up to more people as encouragement to vote, or is your goal to simply increase voting overall?

i've already said:

i wouldn't call top voter an incentive, i would call it a reward to those who are dedicated.

which i still believe (read: turning it into a raffle defeats the purpose). that is why my post tried to shift the topic into reforming the actual vote reward rather than reforming "top voter" - because it sounds like all you want is to have more incentive to vote, and changing top voter isn't going to happen.

Nhataley

• ^ First Profile Pic in a long time. Thanks Zera!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2012, 04:30:15 pm »
Well I got a suggestion.

People always talk in global chat saying "I'm sooo poor! Please give me money"

And that is ingame money. Most people sell diamonds at $50 In-Game.

So why not just give the player 50 In-Game money instead of diamonds?

Wyboth

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
    • Contact me via reddit
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2012, 12:16:07 am »
Well I got a suggestion.

People always talk in global chat saying "I'm sooo poor! Please give me money"

And that is ingame money. Most people sell diamonds at $50 In-Game.

So why not just give the player 50 In-Game money instead of diamonds?
Diamonds are also good for making tools, and I think most people would rather get 5 free each day instead of paying $750 for one.