May 15, 2024, 10:30:52 pm

Author Topic: Building Competitions  (Read 9182 times)

iGenerator

• Super Trusted
  • Champion Member
  • Mayor of Rosenberg
    • View Profile
    • Steam
Re: Building Competitions
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2012, 04:10:49 am »
opticraft knows who its best builders already are, they play classic :P
Major Igenerator
City Planner for Stuttgart

DP

SalsaInABowl

• AKA SalsaOnTheFloor
  • Champion Member
  • Retired. Find me on Steam or IG.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2012, 04:19:53 am »
opticraft knows who its best builders already are, they play classic :P

That is actually a true statement, unless you count B1ueJ0ker for his amazing castle.
I don't play Minecraft anymore and hardly come back to these forums. If you want to contact me, find me on Steam or Instagram. Username for everything is SalsaInABowl.

TheWholeLoaf

• The Architect
  • Architecture Is All
    • View Profile
    • Spawn Builder
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2012, 10:07:30 am »
some people dont play classic. i dont.
Go check out my website: www.minecraftspawnbuilder.weebly.com

tiggy26668

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2012, 11:50:34 am »
Hmm that's a good idea. I'll put a few of those in there too. I also was thinking about putting in redstone inventions.

If you're going to do red stone b aware that people will just look up YouTube video tutorials rather than create it themselves as designing efficient circuitry can b quite tedious given the large amount of trial and error since most people don't fully understand logic gates and binary operations.
I'm Much more smarter admin than whoever banned me.

TheWholeLoaf

• The Architect
  • Architecture Is All
    • View Profile
    • Spawn Builder
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2012, 03:49:35 pm »
I've looked at most redstone tutorials and since I'll most likely give a certain thing they should make and make it include certain gates and operations with pistons, that will make it harder to find an exact tutorial. Plus the time limit on them will be a lot shorter than the time they would have for buildings.

Interbane

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2012, 04:03:05 pm »
That gives a benefit to those who have memorized many of the various designs for circuits.  There's nothing wrong with that.   :D

TheWholeLoaf

• The Architect
  • Architecture Is All
    • View Profile
    • Spawn Builder
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2012, 05:19:15 pm »
Yes but if everyone looks up tutorials it's not fun

Interbane

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2012, 11:00:53 pm »
Well, the person who has the various components memorized would build faster than a person who has to reference tutorials.  Scoring a competition involving mechanisms would need to include a similar Rubric to what FLL uses to score robot competitions.

Function - how well it performs the designated task.

Style - aesthetic judgement

Economy - How streamlined is the wiring?  A small, compact, efficient design scores higher than a confabulated sprawling mass of redstone.

The creativity of the host is what would make or break a mechanism competition.  A combination task would work.  Like, build a mechanism that harvests a pumpkin, a cocoa bean, and a cactus, and delivers them to a 1 block area. 

Or a themed competition.  "Build the best hidden piston door"

Keep the task secret until the day of the competition, and allow only 2-3 hours to build it.

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2012, 11:21:13 pm »
I have been trying to get an official building event going but there is just no possible way to do it right now without having the problem of guests stealing the items.
R.I.P. Blocky Jr. - Brutally killed by Kodak on accident

kagarium

• I'm alive, but inactive.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2012, 12:34:50 am »
cant trust em nick, just cant trust em... :P
IGN: kag1999_ (now kagarium, thanks butter)

Quote from: Nick3306
I saved 100% on car insurance by switching to no car insurance

TheWholeLoaf

• The Architect
  • Architecture Is All
    • View Profile
    • Spawn Builder
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2012, 12:35:36 am »
Thanks Interbane thats very helpful. I was gonna do something close to that but that sums up everything :D.

also that'd be awesome Nick. But why are guests a problem. They shouldnt be allowed to join since its very simple to become a member. And wouldnt the area be protected?

TheWholeLoaf

• The Architect
  • Architecture Is All
    • View Profile
    • Spawn Builder
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2012, 02:17:01 am »
I've decided to hold the first competition on Sunday September 30th. You will have from 5:00 pm on the 30th to 5:00 pm on Friday October 5. If you would like to enter MSG me your name on the forum with a subject of Building Comp.. Only the first 15 people will be able to compete. If you are not chosen to compete, then participate in the next event, most of the people from the first comp. will not be accepted so that everyone gets a chance to build. You must be a member rank or higher to enter.

There is also a $750 entree fee. Do not pay me while I am offline. When I get on I'll will ask the people who entered to pay me.

-----------THE COMPETITION-----------
Design a lovely Modern House that looks realistic with interior and landscaping designs. Your house should make me feel like I would accually want to live in it in real life.

Keep in mind that even though you have plenty of time to come up with an idea, you will have a limited space in your plot and all plots are different sizes. Do not ask me to see the plots before the 30th.

I will post the top 3 with their reward.

Stay tuned for a list of the 15 people that enter.

This post is subject to change at anytime before the 30th so watch for that was well. If there is a change it won't be anything drastic, most likely just adding info.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 03:30:10 am by TheWholeLoaf »

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2012, 02:54:52 am »
Thanks Interbane thats very helpful. I was gonna do something close to that but that sums up everything :D.

also that'd be awesome Nick. But why are guests a problem. They shouldnt be allowed to join since its very simple to become a member. And wouldnt the area be protected?
Trust me, I have though about this A LOT and there is just no way to give anyone ( i dont trust members or even trusted users to return blocks) the materials they need without them having the ability to leave with said materials.

TheWholeLoaf

• The Architect
  • Architecture Is All
    • View Profile
    • Spawn Builder
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2012, 03:00:00 am »
Why would'nt they use their own materials in a plot with a ps provided by me work. When the comps over they take it down themselves and I take the ps back. No one but them and me can touch their project until its over.

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2012, 04:03:06 am »
Why would'nt they use their own materials in a plot with a ps provided by me work. When the comps over they take it down themselves and I take the ps back. No one but them and me can touch their project until its over.
Because now you have just given an unfair advantage to players who have more resources when the competition starts.