May 13, 2024, 10:05:26 pm

Author Topic: Server Optimization idea! 2 servers, 1 for each world  (Read 1851 times)

Chief149

• Oppan Gangnam Style
    • View Profile
Server Optimization idea! 2 servers, 1 for each world
« on: August 08, 2012, 03:23:23 am »
Ok, so the idea I have is that instead of having one server run both minecraft worlds, we have two servers. By two servers I mean two consoles on the server box, and each one would run one of the two opticraft worlds. Each server would be connected to the exact same database so all statistics would transfer over. Meanwhile, warps across worlds would automatically connect the player to the proper server (I think this might be possible with the right plugins). Because of that it would be just like switching worlds on the one server, but with the part where the user is transferring from server 1 to server 2.
Meanwhile if a player connects to one of the two servers, but the players position is not on that map, a plugin could also perhaps automatically send the player to the right server. So if someone who logged off in world 2 connected to server 1 (world 1), they would automatically be redirected to server 2 (world 2) where they are then placed in the correct location that they logged off at.

So here's the layout I have in mind:
smp.opticraft.net redirects to smp1.opticraft.net

Server 1: smp1.opticraft.net (hosts guest world)
Server 2: smp2.opticraft.net (hosts member world)

Pros: Depending on how many players in guest/member world this can divide the total load of the game between 2 cpu cores instead of having one core do all the work
The above reason (dividing the workload of the server onto multiple cores) would reduce lag even if there's a minecraft update, and the bukkit server code is shit and not yet optimized.

Cons: About 2gB more memory usage I would predict since memberworld would be on its own instance of SMP.
         Higher network traffic from the players switching between worlds and having to connect/reconnect

Best griefer name ^

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
Re: Server Optimization idea! 2 servers, 1 for each world
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 03:37:26 am »
From what I can remember, optical said the memberworld takes up very few resources.
R.I.P. Blocky Jr. - Brutally killed by Kodak on accident

Chief149

• Oppan Gangnam Style
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 04:06:49 am »
Well comparatively, the member world doesn't use much RAM, however there's no way the member world could have a small cpu overhead. The cpu has to process the same amount of player functions as the number of players doesn't change. The overhead comes from the extra work in processing everything for the active chunks whether it be plant growth, redstone, etc. Plus when the member world borders eventually get expanded, it will take a lot more RAM (right now the member world is about 1/2 the size of the guest world from what it looks like on the live map), and of course more world means more processes. Some of it also comes from the cpu deciding which chunks are even active. More worlds/world space = more of that processing, etc.

Best griefer name ^

optical

• Administrator
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 06:39:07 am »
This is an extremely complicated thing to do correctly. It is something I would like to do - but it is unlikely to happen. Many of the plugins do not lend themselves in their design to be easily distributed. We would also need to write or make use of a reverse proxy for tunnelling the connection to the correct minecraft server instance.

Its a good idea, but far too much work for myself to implement alone, and probably isn't the best investment of time and resources right now.

Mr_Mr_Mr

• Veteran
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 07:23:24 am »
I don't think this should happen, even though it's working good with the MineZ servers right now, I think it's just too big of a hassle to have 2 servers for 1 server.

I really hope this doesn't happen.

---><--- Click the monkey