June 15, 2024, 06:54:55 am

Author Topic: Problems with breeding and livestock  (Read 5197 times)

Italian1772

• View Profile
Problems with breeding and livestock
« on: August 03, 2012, 04:46:10 pm »

When the new update came out i lost around 15 sheep as it was but when i tried to breed and get my amount back, i cannot succeed at breeding. I am also able to walk through sheep sometimes...lol it is weird.

Help

Italian1772

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
Re: Problems with breeding and livestock
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 05:41:52 pm »
We have throttled the number of animals that can exist in a given space, if you are already at the limit, you wont be able to breed more.
R.I.P. Blocky Jr. - Brutally killed by Kodak on accident

optical

• Administrator
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 01:42:39 am »
Make your enclosure larger, and when breeding don't stack them up or it will refuse to breed. Tiny enclosures with lots of animals were contributing to lag, so we had to throttle it.

Duinis

• Arghblarglarghlpoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 02:02:11 am »
That reminds me of something. When I went online to the server for the first time on 1.3.1, my Silk Touch pick was missing! At the same time, some other people's picks disappeared from their chests as well. Explanation?

Chief149

• Oppan Gangnam Style
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 02:08:07 am »
I also lost half my livestock, and all but 2 of my villagers............

Best griefer name ^

optical

• Administrator
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 03:07:09 am »
Unlikely. It culls anything beyond 4 of a type in a 2x2 area (4 blocks). Please don't lie an exaggerate. If you have a valid concern or problem, lying makes us less likely to take you seriously.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 03:11:39 am by optical »

Chief149

• Oppan Gangnam Style
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 04:30:25 am »
Unlikely. It culls anything beyond 4 of a type in a 2x2 area (4 blocks). Please don't lie an exaggerate. If you have a valid concern or problem, lying makes us less likely to take you seriously.

I'm not lying... I literally lost half my livestock, and I almost though someone had gotten in and killed all of my villagers, but there were 2 left, and nobody leaves exactly 2 of someones villagers in tact to breed back the village...

I did have quite a bit of livestock. Especially the feather farm so I could make arrows.

Also there might be like 2 more villagers because I was on long enough to get the 2 to breed and I think they bred 2 more. IDK if they even grew up yet so they might still be kids. Slowly, but over the next week I can maybe get them back to full force.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 05:00:36 am by Chief149 »

Best griefer name ^

joshskiizz

• The Hispanic Moderator
  • screw you guys I'm going home
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 05:36:12 am »

I dont know how he saved at least two. I had 190 and then they were lowered down to about 5 in a large enclosure, but then they made two babies and I relogged a moment later and they were all gone. At first I thought someone killed them but then I discovered about the plugin. So I assumed they must have grouped together during the night and they were throttled. Had I not saved two, I would not have had any villagers left.

Edit:
I relogged a moment later and they were all gone.
This happened in less than 10 minutes. And the two npcs I saved were not in the large enclosure with the other 190.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 05:52:00 am by Joshskiizz »

Mr_Mr_Mr

• Veteran
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 05:47:42 am »
The problem with villagers, is when it's nighttime, the try going into the same 2x3 house and are just trying to fit in it, so if you want to stop them from doing that and getting themselves killed, get rid of the small areas where they can cram themselves into and make larger houses for them. That or just let them roam around in a large area like viperzeroone has done, what I admire about him and his villagers, is he doesn't cram them in small areas trying to keep them safe from people that might kill them, he just lets them roam free.

---><--- Click the monkey

optical

• Administrator
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 06:04:14 am »
It will NOT kill all your villagers, stop spreading this notion. You will never lose all your villages, and hell, if you are at risk of ending up with only 4 then you are the reason we have had to do this. It culls a 2x2 area (4 blocks), if there are more then 4 in there. 2x2 is a pretty small. If you managed to lose 100 villagers in a 4v4 block you are doing it wrong. Spread them out, give them more housing. Don't cram them up.

D00MKNlGHT

• I don't always kill, if I do it's because u stare
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2012, 06:10:05 am »
Three a bug, at night all villagErs will run to one point and if there's a house there all will enter, if u don't believe this ask Alicia viper
By the way I removed my post, your post made mine look stupid haha.

optical

• Administrator
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2012, 07:04:59 am »
Three a bug, at night all villagErs will run to one point and if there's a house there all will enter, if u don't believe this ask Alicia viper

Im aware of this. Try and space your houses out, like viper does. Even so - the culling isn't aggressive.

D00MKNlGHT

• I don't always kill, if I do it's because u stare
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2012, 09:38:42 am »
I have a decent area about 20*20 for villagers it had about 30 villager there... After throttle there only 2... XD maybe the throttle should be set at 8 mobs per 2 by 2 instead of 4?
By the way I removed my post, your post made mine look stupid haha.

<>LavaEvan<>

• SMP Trusted, Here to help!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2012, 12:04:30 pm »
Yes, i like d00mknlght's suggestion. I used to have around 20-30 villagers, now i only have 4 plus the 4 babies

ViperZeroOne

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2012, 03:01:06 pm »
That or just let them roam around in a large area like viperzeroone has done, what I admire about him and his villagers, is he doesn't cram them in small areas trying to keep them safe from people that might kill them, he just lets them roam free.

Actually there IS a building where I do keep some villagers "safe" from players.  My breeding house is completely enclosed, but has an opening floor so I can release villagers from it.  Then they're shuttled via a water tunnel into the adjacent house which allows them to escape to the island.

Im aware of this. Try and space your houses out, like viper does. Even so - the culling isn't aggressive.

Thanks Opti...  While having buildings spread out does help I did find that they all bunched up around the same building at night and tried to cram it full, the actual secret to my village is FORCING the villagers to spread out by adjusting that building.

If you take a close look at the infrastructure UNDER my village you would see my secret.  That one building right by my breeding house has multiple doors, and when the villagers go into those doors they fall into a "transit system".  This system uses tunnels and water to move the villagers away from the breeding area and out to the edges of the island.  I've got one tunnel going to a house by my mansion.  Another tunnel goes the opposite direction and drops them in the club.  I've also got a 3rd tunnel planned to take them over to the church area, and a 4th planned to take them to the house by the library.

Along with the tunnels to move the villagers around, I've also created several "suicide booths" around my islands to ensure the population doesn't get out of control.  It's all about controlling the villagers.  Do that properly, and you won't have any issues.

As for ANIMALS, whenever I make an area for them I don't use any "YouTube Tricks" to get things done.  I literally build a big pen (so they can spread out) and breed them.  When I start to get too many, I kill them off and start the breeding process over again.  Might be a shocker to some, but a feather farm doesn't need 1000 chickens.  Nor does a leather farm need 1000 cows.  10 will do!  You just need to put in some effort to breeding, and be patient.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 03:40:20 pm by ViperZeroOne »
"I griefed because my dog sat on my mouse and farted!"
- BAN APPEAL DENIED!!

Dark Knight eh?.... I'M BATMAN!!!  ;)