May 15, 2024, 01:34:49 pm

Author Topic: Fix the Lottery  (Read 9545 times)

tiggy26668

• View Profile
Re: Fix the Lottery
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2012, 07:43:15 pm »
For this type of number generation it is adequate.

Really this is where it should end, its an in game lottery for fake money, we don't need a top notch number generator.

2crazy4uall, using decimal/floating point numbers for index generation opens the possibility to skip indexes and give others higher/lower probabilities. that means people would be paying for a ticket that can't win. yes if someone buys 99 tickets and u have 1 u have 1/100 chance to win but with float values being used u could potentially have a 0/99 chance to win.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 07:45:06 pm by tiggy26668 »
I'm Much more smarter admin than whoever banned me.

☣2crzy4uall☣

• Professional Redstoner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2012, 07:46:56 pm »
Our argument is, does it really matter? I don't base all my gameplay off this lottery, I have no qualms with having a 0/99 chance. I bought 1100 tix the first round and lost, its just not a big deal

iGenerator

• Super Trusted
  • Champion Member
  • Mayor of Rosenberg
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2012, 07:54:39 pm »
Optical has stated twice in this thread how it works, can it be locked?
Major Igenerator
City Planner for Stuttgart

DP

optical

• Administrator
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2012, 08:29:07 pm »
Tiggy, please read my post - your rant is once again completely irrelevant as I stated. I linked the exact method being used.
http://docs.oracle.com/javase/1.4.2/docs/api/java/util/Random.html#nextInt(int)
That is the method being used to generate the numbers. Once again, it is random enough for this kind of simulation. The only time these forms of generators are not adequate is when a large slew of numbers of generated and assumed to be entirely uniform, such as in experimental data - or in cryptography, and even then the bias is generally quite small.