May 07, 2024, 02:13:27 pm

Author Topic: Melon and pumpkin discussion  (Read 79016 times)

Boshiwarrior

• (JO,O)J FUSRODAH === ¶___¶
    • View Profile
Re: Melon and pumpkin discussion
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2012, 01:48:59 pm »
I don't know why, but I am happy with it. Can I still have my Semi-Auto farm or?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQKKj_qeOBQ
!Boshiwarrior is returning to the Opticraft!

ScottishChamp

• Only Scottish Moderator?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2012, 03:17:57 pm »
This is good and bad

Good: People will not be very bigly rich.And will make it more a survival server

Bad:One Reason people make these farms is because they need money to get stuff from market because some things are relly quite deer at the market.

As i said its a bad and good but i dont really need to survive off farming but i still need away of making money in opticraft.

Tree Frog

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2012, 03:57:17 pm »
I realize I have no say in this discussion because I don't have a farm, but it does cause lots of lag for us non-farmers just trying to have fun and survive. If you really wanted to keep farms around but reduce lag, then make 100 stacks of melons like $1 in the market.

I really think that automatic farms should be completely removed because it takes away from the survival aspect of the game. And to my knowledge, no farmer in the US is getting rich off farming. They can hardly survive off.

They also don't live in holes in the ground.  :)

I'm actually fine with the change.  Sure I lost some investment but it will just mix things up and make something else "the most valuable".  I am interested in how the newer players will save up for pstones.  That could be the bigger issue but I have confidence that will get worked out.  Has there been discussion about lowering the cost of a coal pstone to help newer players?  That would head off grief and help them get a foothold. The other resources can be mined, farmed, etc but the pstone is unique.

Adapt and survive.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 04:13:04 pm by Wolfer210 »

ViperZeroOne

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2012, 04:13:42 pm »
I realize I have no say in this discussion because I don't have a farm, but it does cause lots of lag for us non-farmers just trying to have fun and survive. If you really wanted to keep farms around but reduce lag, then make 100 stacks of melons like $1 in the market.

I really think that automatic farms should be completely removed because it takes away from the survival aspect of the game. And to my knowledge, no farmer in the US is getting rich off farming. They can hardly survive off.

They also don't line in holes in the ground.  :)

I'm actually fine with the change.  Sure I lost some investment but it will just mix things up and make something else "the most valuable".  I am interested in how the newer players will save up for pstones.  That could be the bigger issue but I have confidence that will get worked out. 

Adapt and survive.

Same way I did it... Mining...  And I've got;

6 Diamond PS, 20+ Lapis PS, and over a stack of Coal PS.

It's a lot easier than people think.
"I griefed because my dog sat on my mouse and farted!"
- BAN APPEAL DENIED!!

Dark Knight eh?.... I'M BATMAN!!!  ;)

Kian

• PSN: X_Kian57_X
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2012, 04:22:24 pm »
We are going to add sell signs for pistons so you are able to recoup your costs to some extent.
YES!

cade35

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2012, 04:29:03 pm »
Have you considered what non-moderator/operator/admin players think. You mean we're having fun with our melon farms. We have put a lot of time and resources into our farms. You say your minds can't be changed. So basically your saying that you don't care about your players. Ya know the players, the people who vote, the people who make the server popular. You all work hard on the server. How would like it if suddenly no one cared about what you thought and just canceled out about all your work. My farm is a manual farm. I put a lot of time in. I'm angry. If this post isn't seen, or is ignored; I will have lost all faith in opticraft: the server that was supposed to be the best in existence. Now we got the owners of the server not giving a crap about what the players think.
PS: Stop putting the vote now message up on, we're not gonna vote if you don't care about us

caitslove

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2012, 04:51:35 pm »
Have you considered what non-moderator/operator/admin players think. You mean we're having fun with our melon farms. We have put a lot of time and resources into our farms. You say your minds can't be changed. So basically your saying that you don't care about your players. Ya know the players, the people who vote, the people who make the server popular. You all work hard on the server. How would like it if suddenly no one cared about what you thought and just canceled out about all your work. My farm is a manual farm. I put a lot of time in. I'm angry. If this post isn't seen, or is ignored; I will have lost all faith in opticraft: the server that was supposed to be the best in existence. Now we got the owners of the server not giving a crap about what the players think.
PS: Stop putting the vote now message up on, we're not gonna vote if you don't care about us

I agree. Who will vote for a server that doesn't care what their players think? This should have been put to a vote in the first place rather than the decision being made behind closed doors. I get that server lag is an issue, but there are other methods of dealing with it than rendering months of work useless for players who relied on the money they made from their farms to pay for resources from the market that are over-priced and no longer available by mining. If the melon and pumpkin methods of making money are going to be gone then prices in the market need to be SEVERELY decreased. You are taking out the one reason a lot of us chose to stay on this server.

Also I get that you're all saying this is a  SURVIVAL server. But no one has to SURVIVE anymore when mobs are in short supply and a player has already spent weeks getting themselves to a point where survival is second nature. At that point you don't need to survive anymore, you've reached a point where you can thrive and enjoy the rewards of having survived. One doesn't survive just to survive again, they survive to thrive in the end.

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2012, 05:00:57 pm »
A vote would be useless. What player would turn down the opportunity to make an insane amount of money really fast? No one. That would be basically the same thing as putting up a vote on whether we should give out free money, everyone will vote yes because they want all the money. That being said, there are people out there with huge farms that agree with us on this decision(leganie is one of them) So you see, it is not that we dont care what you guys think, it is that most players would like an easy way to make money so they dont have to earn it.

Trying to guilt us by saying we dont care about you is not going to work. If we dont care about you, why do we put all this effort into the server? Why do we spend hours of our time making sure you guys have a place to play? It is so easy for you to feel like you are entitled to something on this server but you dont realize the enormous amount of work it takes to keep this server up just so players like you can play. Do you have any idea the amount of money it costs to keep a server of this size running? Lets just say it is more than you think.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 05:08:16 pm by Nick3306 »
R.I.P. Blocky Jr. - Brutally killed by Kodak on accident

caitslove

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2012, 05:29:49 pm »
So you see, it is not that we dont care what you guys think, it is that most players would like an easy way to make money so they dont have to earn it.

Excuse me??? What do you mean we dont have to earn it? It takes weeks of work to BUILD a farm, and hundreds of thousands of dollars to get the resources we need for it. The cost of iron is through the roof and there isn't enough iron available on the map with all the dbags who use mapping software to mine. How dare you imply we don't EARN it.

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2012, 05:37:25 pm »
So you see, it is not that we dont care what you guys think, it is that most players would like an easy way to make money so they dont have to earn it.

Excuse me??? What do you mean we dont have to earn it? It takes weeks of work to BUILD a farm, and hundreds of thousands of dollars to get the resources we need for it. The cost of iron is through the roof and there isn't enough iron available on the map with all the dbags who use mapping software to mine. How dare you imply we don't EARN it.
Sure you have to build the farm, but to actually get money out of it, all you have to do is afk for hours. But I am glad you missed the important part of my post to comment on that.

Larkosaurus

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2012, 05:40:43 pm »
I'm fine with this but I have a concern for new players. Melon farming was good when you needed materials as the costs were all evened out with the ease of melon farming. My concern is that when the main way of money goes people aren't going to be able to afford a lot. Maybe consider dropping some prices a little?
Take for example selling a stack of melons as a guest and you get $480 - then you want to build a house with a wool floor which costs more than that stack of melons to get one stack of wool which runs out quickly. Some things won't add up basically.

Chief149

• Oppan Gangnam Style
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2012, 05:43:16 pm »
Ok the biggest issue here seems to be the economy and CPU usage. So here is a fix for both.

ECON: Make melons and pumpkins sell for half as much as they currently sell for.

CPU: Put member world on a second SMP server (thus putting Opticraft on two threads instead of one), and modify the warp plugins to automatically redirect the players between servers, so if I do /warp memberworld then I automatically connect to the member server which holds the member map. Same for if I did /home or /tpa or whatever. If that location is in a world that I'm not in then it would auto-connect me to the correct server. The servers would share sql databases so their stats would be in sync.

Best griefer name ^

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2012, 05:53:15 pm »
Ok the biggest issue here seems to be the economy and CPU usage. So here is a fix for both.

ECON: Make melons and pumpkins sell for half as much as they currently sell for.

CPU: Put member world on a second SMP server (thus putting Opticraft on two threads instead of one), and modify the warp plugins to automatically redirect the players between servers, so if I do /warp memberworld then I automatically connect to the member server which holds the member map. Same for if I did /home or /tpa or whatever. If that location is in a world that I'm not in then it would auto-connect me to the correct server. The servers would share sql databases so their stats would be in sync.
The cpu fix wouldnt work for 2 reasons. 1. We planned to do this before the member world was out so having 2 worlds on one server didnt factor into it. 2. Running an extra world on this server surprisingly does not come with a big hit performance wise. Also, that would require us to pay for another server, this one already costs quite a bit every month.

HammondsBen :)

• The Building Operator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2012, 05:54:16 pm »
No one buys pumpkins/melons so really this is in my opinion a game flaw that should be removed... people do buy melons but no in the extent to which people are selling in market my opinion is selling things auto in market should not be present.

Chief149

• Oppan Gangnam Style
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2012, 05:58:10 pm »
You can host two SMP servers on a quad core server with 32gB with no issue. Just change the port on one of them so you don't get networking issues.

Best griefer name ^