May 07, 2024, 08:37:16 am

Author Topic: Atlantis- For the new Member world- BUILDERS NEEDED  (Read 34146 times)

iGenerator

• Super Trusted
  • Champion Member
  • Mayor of Rosenberg
    • View Profile
    • Steam
Re: Atlantis- For the new Member world
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2012, 10:08:46 am »
Make the glass bowl first. Then use sand or gravel to fill in the bowl. Clear that out. Build City. Put water in again.
Major Igenerator
City Planner for Stuttgart

DP

KillAndSurf

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2012, 05:42:39 pm »
I have TONs of sand! If you want me to donate some just /msg me ill be waiting. =) IGN=KillAndSurf

_Obi_Wan_

• Sorry folks i got lot work IRL.Will be back soon.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2012, 08:26:52 pm »
i dont got much sand but if u need i'l craft glass starting from today so when u start building just msg me or post here and i'l be happy to give as much glass as u need so u can have mind occupied with building city......leave the resource problem to rest of us  ;)
There is fine amount of ppl who want to see Atlantis as big as can be and in it's full glory...besides i dont got much to do at my place but farming and occassional small renovation of my place........please make use of us who want to help arround the world and got nothing to loose with helping others  :)
P.S: i also digg lot of cobble so if u need stone,stonebricks i'l make from what i digg  ;)

"Crafting is what i do best since i got almoust unlimited supply of charcoal from my replanted forest" ;)

Midgetized

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2012, 01:03:24 am »
Well it seems that there is an alternative method to building it. we can build an aquarium style Atlantis, where we make a big fish tank; level out the area, replace the floor with sand, then construct a glass case around the area. to flood the area just make a dirt shelf at the very top that covers the area then place water on the shelf, break the shelf then viola instant atlantis. It would be more of a spectacle as well, since everyone can see the magnitude of the city. We connect the buildings with glass tunnels and the entrance of the city will be made of an iron block double door that opens up with sticky pistons. 
Sometimes a little bit of pessimism goes further than a stream of optimism, it lets you see both sides of the coin and break the illusion of the reality that others built around you.

novaPKC

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2012, 08:42:48 am »
hey dude im willing to help if u need any i can or could be ur guys's enchanter or help build

sincerely, shadowPKC :D

Midgetized

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2012, 11:53:00 pm »
There are two methods to create the Atlantis Project in the new map, Ocean or Aquarium.

Ocean Atlantis
 The positive attributes for this style would be it's authenticity to the original mythological city, sans massive sinking into the water part. The borders of the project would be more open, allowing the expansion of the city to be more fluid. The city would be isolated and less probability of griefers stumbling upon the area.

The most negative quality of this style would be the construction phase, since builders would need to litter the floor with breathing stations to make it easier for them. Also the roof cap of all buildings would need to be very restrictive if its going to be completely submerged which can stifle creativity. Then there's the problem that other players can create other structures over the city, on the water or over it.

The way to overcome the roof cap would be to dig downwards in the building to make more floors and have underground tunnels leading to other projects. But from what i have read the plan is to make underwater domes that cover the area, which has it's own negative qualities since the buildings would need to be centered or small and to make them the area needs to be drained, built, then reflooded.

Aquarium Style

The positive qualities of this style of construction would be that the city becomes quite a spectacle for all to see, revealing the scale of the city. The construction phase would be easier as we can work on dry land, then flood the city  section by section. The height cap is only limited by skylimit, and the construction of domes can be made easier.

But it's negative qualities of it is the amount of materials needed to make the tank itself, since glass would be most appropriate material for the walls of the tank and to flood the area you would need to construct a shelf at the very top which could be dangerous work. 
Sometimes a little bit of pessimism goes further than a stream of optimism, it lets you see both sides of the coin and break the illusion of the reality that others built around you.

Duinis

• Arghblarglarghlpoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2012, 05:44:31 am »
There are two methods to create the Atlantis Project in the new map, Ocean or Aquarium.

Ocean Atlantis
 The positive attributes for this style would be it's authenticity to the original mythological city, sans massive sinking into the water part. The borders of the project would be more open, allowing the expansion of the city to be more fluid. The city would be isolated and less probability of griefers stumbling upon the area.

The most negative quality of this style would be the construction phase, since builders would need to litter the floor with breathing stations to make it easier for them. Also the roof cap of all buildings would need to be very restrictive if its going to be completely submerged which can stifle creativity. Then there's the problem that other players can create other structures over the city, on the water or over it.

The way to overcome the roof cap would be to dig downwards in the building to make more floors and have underground tunnels leading to other projects. But from what i have read the plan is to make underwater domes that cover the area, which has it's own negative qualities since the buildings would need to be centered or small and to make them the area needs to be drained, built, then reflooded.

Aquarium Style

The positive qualities of this style of construction would be that the city becomes quite a spectacle for all to see, revealing the scale of the city. The construction phase would be easier as we can work on dry land, then flood the city  section by section. The height cap is only limited by skylimit, and the construction of domes can be made easier.

But it's negative qualities of it is the amount of materials needed to make the tank itself, since glass would be most appropriate material for the walls of the tank and to flood the area you would need to construct a shelf at the very top which could be dangerous work. 
Ocean atlantis. Thanks for the summary, Midgetized-
We're gonna eventually expand the city, so there's space for people to build in the middle of the domes, where there's most space. It's kinda gonna be like this, roughly-

l
                       0-O-0
                           l
(I know it sucks XD)
So it's gonna be several biospheres underwater.
Entrances to the city on every dome, the middle dome is the main dome, where me and some friends would live.
The breathing stations are not gonna be hard, I got a little over two stack in a chest of glass panes, about 10 for every builder that's gonna work on this. A single breathing station will only need two glass panes. If you're near a wall and you're running outta air, then pop a glass pane next to the wall, and voila, breathing station.
As to the roof cap...I agree we'd need to make an underground floor, and that will take some digging.
Truly, this is a massive project to plan.

_Obi_Wan_

• Sorry folks i got lot work IRL.Will be back soon.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2012, 02:44:08 pm »
Just to say that while building underwater is much harder it will at the end be more epic city then one that's build with easyer way,cos there will always be someone who will come and say : OMG How did u do this....holly molly this is awesome....etc. And for normal one u could get reactions like: oh u build city and put water above..hm nice....so u didnt build underwater?
See what i mean  ;)
One of my favorite project in this category that i saw long time ago is http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/underwater-city-lumina-nocturnale-/ if u checking video just click your way to see good parts since it is kinda boring to watch full :P but it may give u some really cool ideas when u start building Atlantis,and i recomend maybe some drawings to be made before u start so all of ppl who will build know what to do.
P.S:Anyway that is just my thought ;)

YangusTheGreat

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2012, 06:57:16 pm »
So we better start making some respiration helm's then?

Do take into consideration that its harder to break blocks underwater, it's much darker, and you might drown?

Zen00

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2012, 07:53:24 pm »
It's not terribly difficult working underwater, especially with a respiration helm.

To verify that statement I made a small dome near my home just for practice, and indeed, it is easy enough.

How did I do it? I built the dome out of dirt, using the glass pane trick for air, and then surrounded the dirt with glass and finished by digging it out again. It wasn't hard at all.

I have spent extensive time under the ocean in search of clay for my collections, so I can say that working underwater is no issue if you're good at controlling your character.

Midgetized

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2012, 07:59:08 pm »
With Ocean Atlantis, construction plans should start out with creating a work station. A volunteer builds a home on the floor of the ocean, and sets their home warp there, so that others can use it as a gateway into the work-zone.

Build a base ring for the dome around or near the house and slowly build a dome, temple style (layer by layer), and then hollow out the dome. After the first dome is made, make the tunnels out for the other domes and then repeat the process, the other domes will be easier as we can make the domes at the end of each tunnel.

But I think the idea of having multiple entrances to the city could be troubling since unexpected guests can jump in, and securing each entrance can be gaudy. So I will draw up some of my ideas for the entrance, and some ideas for the city layout.

Spamarian

• Top Voter
  • Champion Member
  • YoO0Oo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2012, 08:16:28 pm »
Obi-wan ? that city is damn awesome!!!
Best work I have ever seen.

SalasCraft

• a.k.a. SaladCraft
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2012, 08:23:55 pm »
Albero and ian I think have an underwater city on the current world.

Zen00

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2012, 08:25:57 pm »
I can work redstone into a awesome airlock system for the entrance, so no worries there.

Lairy_Fliquid

• Nice house you got there, be a shame if...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2012, 08:26:16 pm »
awesome idea!