Will The Nether Ever Regenerate?

Regenerate it!
3 (42.9%)
Leave as it is
3 (42.9%)
ONLY clean up the grief
1 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: Regenerating The Nether  (Read 3862 times)

laurenstair

• View Profile
Regenerating The Nether
« on: May 06, 2012, 05:03:05 pm »
When I go to the nether, it's REALLY messy. Someone should do something about it. WHen I spawn in the nether, I'm in someone's house. With their netherwarts, netherbricks, etc. We need to regenerate it, but make sure people know that we are going to, in case they have valuables. It's just a suggestion, it'll make Opticraft way better, in my perspective. ;)

atdfbttl15

• Either on or trying to be on
    • View Profile
Re: Regenerating The Nether
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 05:05:29 pm »
The new member+ world will be created a few weaks later so in my opinon this idea is unnecessary.

Check it out! ;)

Boshiwarrior

• (JO,O)J FUSRODAH === ¶___¶
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 05:16:48 pm »
That is the problem when you are on a Mulitplayer server. You always spawn in someones Nether Portal. I have heard that is resets every 500 blocks. I have seen all the mess too, but what can you do with it? Everyone wants to have Netherrack and brick.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQKKj_qeOBQ
!Boshiwarrior is returning to the Opticraft!

ViperZeroOne

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 05:41:59 pm »
It's fairly pointless to do this kind of regen, just like it's pointless to do a regen around the spawn and warp cities.  A week later it'll be back to being a mess, and we'll have people once again asking for it to be repaired, except the next time they'll expect us to do it because we already have.  It'll be an endless cycle of repair.  Sad as it might be, I think the better option is to just leave it as-is.  Griefers will see the area is already wrecked, won't want to waste time looking around for something to grief (because they're lazy), and they'll move on to another server.
"I griefed because my dog sat on my mouse and farted!"
- BAN APPEAL DENIED!!

Dark Knight eh?.... I'M BATMAN!!!  ;)

Myskillzownu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 07:14:10 pm »
Before I found Opticraft, I was giving another server a try. (Ended up giving up stuff away and quitting.)

That server, however, had a nice plugin that might work for this situation, and could otherwise improve this server.

When you typed "/warp wild" it would take you to a different place, every time.
This allowed users to be more spread out, allowed you to actually have some land, etc. (Sometimes it spawned you in the ocean, but that's a small price to pay. And I don't know what all you can do when making a plugin, but it might even be possible to regenerate coordinates if it finds you're in an ocean biome.)

This same technique could be implemented in the Nether, though you would have to be 100% sure you took precautions. (Spawning people into lava and such.)
Heck, I'm not against the idea of implementing it for the normal world too.

Just an idea that could help the situation that over-populated worlds bring.

-Dave

Edit:
This also reminds me of the first server I ever played on.
Whilst waiting for some plugins to support the new version of bukkit (or maybe it was bukkit to support the new version), due to a majority vote, the main admin cleared the wild.

This however, meant that he had to transfer over everything that was to stay individually.
Needless to say, stuff got left, warps were screwy, etc.

This is truly a situation that needs to be handled from the start, to make sure it never happens. (An example being a plugin I saw that automatically planted a new tree when when was chopped down.)

And ugh, this voting popup is getting annoying.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 07:56:30 pm by Myskillzownu »

mattyr2d2

• Best builder there ever was....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 07:59:25 pm »
Anyway if you regent you'll destroy peoples homes, people live there, and peoples netherwart farms  :-\
I'm so awesome...