Would you support such changes?

Yes
28 (38.4%)
No
17 (23.3%)
I support some of them
28 (38.4%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Author Topic: Proposed smp changes  (Read 96269 times)

gavin1928374655

• Sexy Mermaid
    • View Profile
Re: Proposed smp changes
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2016, 11:52:27 pm »
Just a quick write up on what I think will be most important about the new server changes... the economy. 

The current market is set up in such a way that only those who already made money can see any benefit from it.  In order to buy one diamond protection stone you need to sell 22 stacks of iron ore.  Basically to get a minimal level of protection you must mine for 6+ hours.  This is a result of people abusing the market system to get rich or by afking ridiculously long amounts of time (not saying this is a bad thing as I obviously do/did it as well).

I agree with Hedge's point in that players should have the ability to set up shops.  We should not be pulling items out of thing air with the market, but the market should be a trading shop.  The server should have no official economy whatsoever, rather an official shopping district/area where players can put up shops.  If the shops are complained about they can be removed.  (Also to make sure this area isn't ugly players would only be able to stock chests/determine prices).  If players stop stocking a shop or an item deal is never used the shop could be removed.

Here is my full proposal in list form for easy reading:
  • Players can request a shop in the official market district.
  • Players control the prices and are in charge of making sure the shops are fully stocked.
  • If a player stops stocking a shop they will be kicked out of the marketing district and charged a fee.
  • There can be some "official" shops that do produce items automatically for some things like glass/wood/stone that are common building blocks are would require destroying a large amount of land to fully stock shops with.
  • These shops can charge a wide variety of prices for 1 item, i.e. you have one "official" shop that sells 64 glass. What is 64 glass worth? It could be worth 16 wool perhaps, 16 iron ingots, 8 iron ore, 1 diamond... who knows! You could have all these prices used to buy 1 item.  So rather than having an "economy" you must earn one of the items that you need to buy something.

The main takeaway from my post is that the economy should not exist, but rather a market where items are traded based on their worth.  This could either be completely set up by the admins so all the prices are predetermined, or players could even be allowed to join in and sell items. 
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 11:55:28 pm by gavin »

FluffyPanda1111

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2016, 12:01:55 am »
Plz! Don't change SMP! maybe we could just have two worlds! :D A new and old! Everyone can transfer from the two worlds! just some more land to live off of! I do think some of the changes like PVP might me fun! But plz DO NOT wipe the server clear!

codepmman

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2016, 12:03:49 am »
Breaking my silence!
Are you guys insane? Really and truly, if you implement this many changes then is it really still Opticraft? It's like if I handed you a lemon and tried to tell you "It's an orange!" The market and economy is half the reason Opticraft is bearable (explained later.) To integrate this points system is ridiculous. Not everyone wants to play little games or go on quests. Some people want to dig and build.
I may not play a bunch now, but I'm speaking up for those who may feel that speaking up might cost them their position within the community. I am worried about this as well, but I feel this needs to be said regardless of the repercussions. If I was to fully lose Opticraft I would be sad, but I could not watch you completely change the server and say nothing.
 Also, kind of interested why only one operator was consulted when there are several that still play on the server regularly, and not to single him out, but generally this is a staff decision and from what I know, Deekay is not currently staff on SMP. As shown in the past, your rank on SMP does not carry over to Creative, and so Creative ranks should not carry over to SMP. I understand this post is your sad attempt at asking people their opinion, but you really should talk to more SMP staff members before going public. Not to mention THE OWNER of the server has countless times expressed that he does not like these sorts of changes, and I'm sure if his opinion has changed at all, it is only because he grows weary of your constant badgering.
You seem to want to change Opticraft and turn it into something that it is not. You went and made a Creative server and decided that it would be cool to throw the Opticraft name on it... Does that make it Opticraft? You tried to make PvP, but that's not Opti either. You are now trying to make it more like a quest based server in that people would have to collect points for "rare blocks" or "protection" but that's still no Opticraft. People like this server because it is survival with a market, sans PvP... Simple. Now granted it needs some cleaning up but not a whole revamp.
Never really told anyone as to why I stopped playing. It's not because I was bored, it's because of you Nick, and your band of goons bringing up drama and always trying to change things. I quit because I grew up and didn't want to deal with cry babies. I know my opinion might not matter because I really don't play much any more, but as stated previously, I only stopped because of Nick and his lackeys.
To the people saying that they would like PvP, go to a PvP server. Nick got us to try PVP on Opticraft, and from what I hear it is almost never used. People saying they got bored because they had too much money? Start over! Don't rely on the market, get stuff manually! The problem is not with Opticraft, it is with the player. If you don't like it, don't play. If it's not your style, then sorry - but this is no reason to fundamentally change Opticraft as a whole.
You post is very uninformed. Couple things.
1. Optical agreed to this without any pressure
2. You state " Not everyone wants to play little games or go on quests." but none of that will even be added showing that you dont even have a clue as to what you are talking about.
3. Staff is being consulted right now, this is consulting them. This is much easier then going around to every member and talking to them individually, this way everyone can voice their opinions here.
4. NOTHING gets done on this server without opticals approval, so your accusations that this is all somehow my doing (Even though we also have two admins) shows incredible bias and misunderstanding.
5. Your arguments fall flat because currently there are more yes votes than no, so clearly players feel the same way as we do.

Lastly, I would like to applaud you for showing great maturity in your post.
1. Optical agreed to this without any pressure  (except years of constant badgering)
2. You state " Not everyone wants to play little games or go on quests." but none of that will even be added showing that you dont even have a clue as to what you are talking about.( i assumed "survival activities" meant quests my bad, and this type of belittling is part of the reason i stopped playing)
3. Staff is being consulted right now, this is consulting them. This is much easier then going around to every member and talking to them individually, this way everyone can voice their opinions here. (staff should be consulted before going public so issues can be hammered out hence why there are staff forums)
4. NOTHING gets done on this server without opticals approval, so your accusations that this is all somehow my doing (Even though we also have two admins) shows incredible bias and misunderstanding. (i will leave this alone but remember when poked enough some people will just roll over)
5. Your arguments fall flat because currently there are more yes votes than no, so clearly players feel the same way as we do. (again just voicing my opinion and now you are turning it into a competition, not to mention who is to say those votes are from active players... the people who still play play because they love it for what it is and may leave if you change it)

Lastly, I would like to applaud you for showing great maturity in your post. (thanks but i generally like to use my big people voice when talking formally)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 12:11:26 am by codepmman »
Creepin........Like a boss

BECAUSE IM BIGGER THAN YOU

TarynMai

• Admin
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2016, 12:11:20 am »
Plz! Don't change SMP! maybe we could just have two worlds! :D A new and old! Everyone can transfer from the two worlds! just some more land to live off of! I do think some of the changes like PVP might me fun! But plz DO NOT wipe the server clear!

We have done that a few times actually, but it isn't just the worlds we were looking to remove, but resetting the economy and such as well. You're definitely allowed your opinion of not liking what we're thinking of doing, but I just wanted to clarify why that probably won't happen, it'd most likely be all or nothing.

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2016, 12:15:29 am »
Breaking my silence!
Are you guys insane? Really and truly, if you implement this many changes then is it really still Opticraft? It's like if I handed you a lemon and tried to tell you "It's an orange!" The market and economy is half the reason Opticraft is bearable (explained later.) To integrate this points system is ridiculous. Not everyone wants to play little games or go on quests. Some people want to dig and build.
I may not play a bunch now, but I'm speaking up for those who may feel that speaking up might cost them their position within the community. I am worried about this as well, but I feel this needs to be said regardless of the repercussions. If I was to fully lose Opticraft I would be sad, but I could not watch you completely change the server and say nothing.
 Also, kind of interested why only one operator was consulted when there are several that still play on the server regularly, and not to single him out, but generally this is a staff decision and from what I know, Deekay is not currently staff on SMP. As shown in the past, your rank on SMP does not carry over to Creative, and so Creative ranks should not carry over to SMP. I understand this post is your sad attempt at asking people their opinion, but you really should talk to more SMP staff members before going public. Not to mention THE OWNER of the server has countless times expressed that he does not like these sorts of changes, and I'm sure if his opinion has changed at all, it is only because he grows weary of your constant badgering.
You seem to want to change Opticraft and turn it into something that it is not. You went and made a Creative server and decided that it would be cool to throw the Opticraft name on it... Does that make it Opticraft? You tried to make PvP, but that's not Opti either. You are now trying to make it more like a quest based server in that people would have to collect points for "rare blocks" or "protection" but that's still no Opticraft. People like this server because it is survival with a market, sans PvP... Simple. Now granted it needs some cleaning up but not a whole revamp.
Never really told anyone as to why I stopped playing. It's not because I was bored, it's because of you Nick, and your band of goons bringing up drama and always trying to change things. I quit because I grew up and didn't want to deal with cry babies. I know my opinion might not matter because I really don't play much any more, but as stated previously, I only stopped because of Nick and his lackeys.
To the people saying that they would like PvP, go to a PvP server. Nick got us to try PVP on Opticraft, and from what I hear it is almost never used. People saying they got bored because they had too much money? Start over! Don't rely on the market, get stuff manually! The problem is not with Opticraft, it is with the player. If you don't like it, don't play. If it's not your style, then sorry - but this is no reason to fundamentally change Opticraft as a whole.
2. You state " Not everyone wants to play little games or go on quests." but none of that will even be added showing that you dont even have a clue as to what you are talking about.
3. Staff is being consulted right now, this is consulting them. This is much easier then going around to every member and talking to them individually, this way everyone can voice their opinions here.
4. NOTHING gets done on this server without opticals approval, so your accusations that this is all somehow my doing (Even though we also have two admins) shows incredible bias and misunderstanding.
5. Your arguments fall flat because currently there are more yes votes than no, so clearly players feel the same way as we do.

1. Optical agreed to this without any pressure  (except years of constant badgering)
2. You state " Not everyone wants to play little games or go on quests." but none of that will even be added showing that you dont even have a clue as to what you are talking about.( i assumed "survival activities" meant quests my bad, and this type of belittling is part of the reason i stopped playing)
3. Staff is being consulted right now, this is consulting them. This is much easier then going around to every member and talking to them individually, this way everyone can voice their opinions here. (staff should be consulted before going public so issues can be hammered out hence why there are staff forums)
4. NOTHING gets done on this server without opticals approval, so your accusations that this is all somehow my doing (Even though we also have two admins) shows incredible bias and misunderstanding. (i will leave this alone but remember when poked enough some people will just roll over)
5. Your arguments fall flat because currently there are more yes votes than no, so clearly players feel the same way as we do. (again just voicing my opinion and now you are turning it into a competition, not to mention who is to say those votes are from active players... the people who still play play because they love it for what it is and may leave if you change it)

1. We actually talked about it for a while and he said he is definitely in favor of this, but hey, if you want to keep lying to yourself, be my guest.
2. survival activities are like mining, farming, ect...
3. You act like staff is more important that the other players when thats not true. There really is no point in asking staff separately as everyones opinion matters the same.
4. see answer to 1
5. That's fine, I completely support your opinion, but there was no need to attack me with misinformation.

EDIT: Also, it doesn't matter if the players who voted are active or not, because the players who are not active may become active again because of this. All the players opinions matter.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 12:21:57 am by Nick3306 »
R.I.P. Blocky Jr. - Brutally killed by Kodak on accident

Angelsrage21

• Im nice, I promise :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2016, 12:23:59 am »
First off I would like to start by saying that I've been playing on this server for four years, I love it and it's community very much. When I found out that the idea of the server being wiped was even CONSIDERED I was outraged to say the least.  All the great things people have built and all of the W.I.P.'s just gone because all the rich players who have everything are bored...are you kidding me? I remember back in the day the community was thriving, we had 30 people on at a time and everyone was either gathering or selling stuff on trade chat. Yeah I wish we could go back to those days, but I seriously doubt a complete reset will fix the issue. It's more probable that the reset would anger more people then it would replenish others will's to play on the server again. For example, my friend lolakittygreen and I have been building a specific thing for ALL four of the years we've been playing, if the reset were to occur we would be done with not only Opticraft, but Minecraft.

Thank you for reading what I had to say, have a nice day.

~Angelsrage21

codepmman

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2016, 12:24:39 am »
Breaking my silence!

1. We actually talked about it for a while and he said he is definitely in favor of this, but hey, if you want to keep lying to yourself, be my guest.
3. You act like staff is more important that the other players when thats not true. There really is no point in asking staff separately as everyones opinion matters the same.
4. see answer to 1
5. That's fine, I completely support your opinion, but there was no need to attack me with misinformation.

#5 i would like to address this first as the only attack on you was not misinformed... i left because of you..i dont like you  again my personal opinion
this is posted not because i dont like you but because i feel like changing opticraft is not cool
your #2 point clarify things and i thank you
#3 not that they are more important but you never see information hitting managers at a store at the same time as the cashiers.. a heads up is usually given
same goes for things like this. again to help hammer out details and get concerns out of the way so you could have them help field questions
as for #1 ... see my previous statement... you poke some one long enough they will cave... not saying he doesn't agree just saying... maybe he grows as tired of you as i did

ps this is getting long i will be posting my next response as a new comment
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 12:26:40 am by codepmman »

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2016, 12:26:17 am »
Breaking my silence!

4. see answer to 1

#5 i would like to address this first as the only attack on you was not misinformed... i left because of you..i dont like you  again my personal opinion
this is posted not because i dont like you but because i feel like changing opticraft is not cool
your #2 point clarify things and i thank you
#3 not that they are more important but you never see information hitting managers at a store at the same time as the cashiers.. a heads up is usually given
same goes for things like this. again to help hammer out details and get concerns out of the way so you could have them help field questions
as for #1 ... see my previous statement... you poke some one long enough they will cave... not saying he doesn't agree just saying... maybe he grows as tired of you as i did
And yet again you continue to attack me, grow up.

gavin1928374655

• Sexy Mermaid
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2016, 12:26:52 am »
First off I would like to start by saying that I've been playing on this server for four years, I love it and it's community very much. When I found out that the idea of the server being wiped was even CONSIDERED I was outraged to say the least.  All the great things people have built and all of the W.I.P.'s just gone because all the rich players who have everything are bored...are you kidding me? I remember back in the day the community was thriving, we had 30 people on at a time and everyone was either gathering or selling stuff on trade chat. Yeah I wish we could go back to those days, but I seriously doubt a complete reset will fix the issue. It's more probable that the reset would anger more people then it would replenish others will's to play on the server again. For example, my friend lolakittygreen and I have been building a specific thing for ALL four of the years we've been playing, if the reset were to occur we would be done with not only Opticraft, but Minecraft.

~Angelsrage21
You bring up some valid points, but when PVP was added (a minor change compared to this) the server spiked back up to FIFTY players active for a long period of time.  It isn't just "some rich people" who are bored, but a ton of old players.  I think this major change could bump SMP back up into the 50s + in terms of active players.  That would be awesome!  It does suck that some builds will be lost, but atleast we'll all be starting out together.  I also have been here 4 years and I would prefer the server to thrive and be active than to have some old builds stick around.

Pugabyte

• Haider
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2016, 12:27:48 am »
1. Kind of. I like Sade's idea of having the old worlds still accessible through a MP server, though I am fully aware of the problem of funding and management. Consider it?

2. From personal experience, player shops can be difficult to promote. Largely because it can be confusing to set them up. If you do this, I strongly, strongly recommend making an easily accessible video, wiki, and/or something similar to assist players in the setup.

Furthermore, I think some serious research and input by someone well versed in economies (that means some college study) should be consulted if possible. This will help in the long-term.

Theres a plugin called HyperConomy. I've not played with it too much, mostly cause I didn't understand it, but maybe it would be perfect for Opti. Check it out. (I am not sure about bugs or incompatibilities, though it seems it is under active development)

3. 'Modes'? Please explain further. Having WG regions scattered throughout the map, alerting players upon entry, maybe. Full on worldwide PvP? No. I joined (and stayed on /in touch with) Opticraft for the relaxing, close community aspect. PvP ruins this.

4. Depends on how you execute this. Could be a huge success, or it could be a fall-flat failure.

5. Same as above.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 12:34:28 am by mopar23 »

codepmman

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2016, 12:28:19 am »
how am i attacking you ?

Nothing_

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2016, 12:29:07 am »
I think this is a bad idea personally, a lot of the remaining players come here for the builds they have made in the past,  and to have some fun playing with their friends. Community has and always will be one of the driving factors as to why this server is still here, and I fear that a complete wipe of SMP would just divide the community further. People want to make changes to attract new players and I'm all for that, but if the cost of new players is losing some of our oldest members and friends is it really worth it?

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2016, 12:29:28 am »
1. Kind of. I like Sade's idea of having the old worlds still accessible through a MP server, though I am fully aware of the problem of funding and management. Consider it?

2. From personal experience, player shops can be difficult to promote. Largely because it can be confusing to set them up. If you do this, I strongly, strongly recommend making an easily accessible video, wiki, and/or something similar to assist players in the setup.

Furthermore, I think some serious research and input by someone well versed in economies (that means some college study) should be consulted if possible. This will help in the long-term.

Theres a plugin called HyperConomy. I've not played with it too much, mostly cause I didn't understand it, but maybe it would be perfect for Opti. Check it out. (I am not sure about at bugs or incompatibilities)

3. 'Modes'? Please explain further. Having WG regions scattered throughout the map, alerting players upon entry, maybe. Full on worldwide PvP? No. I joined Opticraft for the relaxing, close community aspect. PvP ruins this.

4. Depends on how you execute this. Could be a huge success, or it could be a fall-flat failure.

5. Same as above.
Pvp modes would be done on pre defined maps, no world wide pvp, no pvp zones. Just pre set up arenas.

Pugabyte

• Haider
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2016, 12:32:17 am »
Pvp modes would be done on pre defined maps, no world wide pvp, no pvp zones. Just pre set up arenas.

Better. Optional is best.

TarynMai

• Admin
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2016, 12:35:04 am »

~Angelsrage21

Your opinion is yours, but if it helps, we're hoping to try to at least get a downloadable version of the map, so you two could set up a small server together with it and continue building (if that is what ends up happening). I don't think any of us really want to completely delete the maps without letting people access them somehow.