March 29, 2024, 07:45:46 am

Author Topic: Relive The Memories  (Read 20217 times)

CrazyGamer2000

• View Profile
Relive The Memories
« on: June 30, 2015, 04:18:39 am »
Well it's summer vacation and I've been rather bored. I decided to go and take a look at good old Opticraft.

To my shock there was only 1 person online. This pretty much sums up my suspicions, Minecraft's Golden Days are over. Not a

single update for the 8 months or so that I've been inactive plus low member count in nearly every server. Not to say that

Minecraft is dead just yet, it'll be kicking for a while longer albeit without any new faces on the server. But that's not the

main point of this post. This is a post of nostalgia, I just want to hear your best memories of Opticraft. Pics of old creations

and projects or stories of a funny memory.

DeeKay

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
Re: Relive The Memories
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 06:41:02 am »
Indeed our peak days are over, but that's just the nature of running long outlived game modes such as classic and survival, which were both in their own time extremely popular for us.

However, for every few people that leave, a dedicated player stays, and as long as that happens, we're always gonna be in our peak in a different kind of way.

In my eyes, my best memories are still be created here. :)

raul7legend

• Israeli Operator
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 12:18:46 pm »
Minecraft isn't dead, it's still enormous (65 million sales - most on the PC and third of all time after Wii Sports and Tetris - not a small feat by any means...), rather the direction of the game now is different than it was.
In the earlier years Opticraft was a trendsetter in terms of servers - in classic optical was one of the first to open a server, and not just open it but also code it himself. Being early on the curve all the time made us very successful!
Same with the SMP server. When 1.0 came out people were hooked on the survival multiplayer aspect and this was very beneficial for us, being one of the first stable servers and one of the servers that update first.
Now almost 4 years later people grew tired of the vanilla aspect of the game and are focused on different game modes and add-ons for Minecraft. Opticraft, being true to our survival game mechanic, didn't want to change (for better or worse? I really don't know) and this made people who weren't too connected grow tired of the same stuff.
Yet when the other players the left, the ones who stayed feel loyal to the community. Sure we will probably never get 70 players on at a time again, but I know for sure that the 10 that are on are amazing people. Plus, who likes 40 griefers on at a time anyways? ;)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 12:29:04 pm by raul7legend »

~pimkey5~

• We put the world away, we get so Disconnected~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 12:51:51 pm »
As lame as this sounds Opticraft has become apart of my life now (not sure if that's even healthy lol). The community and the love that's radiated from it is something you can't find anywhere else. You can speak anything that's on your mind and people will be there for you which is the one thing I love about it. My favourite memory honestly is the friends I've made and I'm pretty sure that half my opticraft memories have been shared with them. I'm pretty anti-social in real life so I like that on here I can be myself (which is this annoying af girl who talks all day) and not be judged too much. I know for a fact that there will be plenty more memories to come and I'm looking forward to those :D oH and i don't have a screenie on this computer but one of my favourite memories (this is random) was when Caanite tricked me into making my title Etinaac on SMP and I didn't realise it's his name spelt backwards until about a week later (rude af).

Wone

• Self-proclaimed Grammar Nazi Colonel
  • Be courteous or GTFO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 03:19:07 pm »
Hello.

I'm on a very long holiday now. I thought of returning to playing Minecraft on a daily basis but I need to figure stuff out about my Minecraft account first (especially as I haven't played since before Microsoft bought Minecraft so I am not familiar with the changes in the launcher and whatnot).

Main point is, I am going to return to Opticraft in the not-too-soon future.

Hope to see some familiar names around.

clawstrider

• The Clawsome One
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 06:44:28 pm »
Minecraft isn't dead, it's still enormous (65 million sales - most on the PC and third of all time after Wii Sports and Tetris - not a small feat by any means...), rather the direction of the game now is different than it was.

By that logic, you could say the PS2 isn't dead, because it sold 155 million consoles (according to wikipedia). However, a game hasn't been released on it in 3 years (which was actually a shock to me, I expected it to be way longer ago). It's basically dead on this point (I'd estimate it as having 5% of active players compared to its peak).

Hello.

I'm on a very long holiday now. I thought of returning to playing Minecraft on a daily basis but I need to figure stuff out about my Minecraft account first (especially as I haven't played since before Microsoft bought Minecraft so I am not familiar with the changes in the launcher and whatnot).

I missed you baby <3

daniblue182

• Mayor of Xanadu
  • 'All this time?' 'Always'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 08:45:09 pm »
Hello.

YAAAAAAAAAAY

The selfie that made nick change spawn.

raul7legend

• Israeli Operator
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 06:29:58 am »
By that logic, you could say the PS2 isn't dead, because it sold 155 million consoles (according to wikipedia). However, a game hasn't been released on it in 3 years (which was actually a shock to me, I expected it to be way longer ago). It's basically dead on this point (I'd estimate it as having 5% of active players compared to its peak).
That's not logic, you can't compare a PC game to a console. In people seek out better consoles, but they don't seek out better Minecraft games - Minecraft is a one of a kind game with a huge following. It would be logic if the console generation stayed at PS2, people would still be playing it.

OzzyKP

• I sleep with the fishes.
    • View Profile
    • National Youth Rights Association
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2015, 09:26:38 pm »
Minecraft is NOT dying. 

Adams later went on to tell Polygon that the number of users playing Minecraft on the PC peaked 1.4 million on Friday, January 9. Interestingly Adams would later go on to say that approximately half of Minecraft players are going with single-player while the other half is doing multi-player. By comparison, not a single Steam game, not even Dota 2 has topped the one million concurrent player mark yet.

The PlayStation and Xbox console versions are going strong as well. The combined might of the PS3 and Xbox 360 passed the PC version just last June. With the PS4, PS Vita, and Xbox One editions now in player’s hands, and with a significant update, this train will not be slowing down anytime soon.

Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/1749703/minecraft-sales-continue-ridiculous-pace-pc-and-mobile-versions-hit-new-milestones/#8Bldp6GfhkbLz9uk.99

According to their stats site 13,000 people bought it in the last 24 hours, and I think that is just the PC version.

Owner & Creator of Aquain, a huge underwater city in the old guest world.  Check out info on my underwater city here.

clawstrider

• The Clawsome One
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2015, 11:37:31 pm »
Minecraft is NOT dying. 

Adams later went on to tell Polygon that the number of users playing Minecraft on the PC peaked 1.4 million on Friday, January 9. Interestingly Adams would later go on to say that approximately half of Minecraft players are going with single-player while the other half is doing multi-player. By comparison, not a single Steam game, not even Dota 2 has topped the one million concurrent player mark yet.

The PlayStation and Xbox console versions are going strong as well. The combined might of the PS3 and Xbox 360 passed the PC version just last June. With the PS4, PS Vita, and Xbox One editions now in player’s hands, and with a significant update, this train will not be slowing down anytime soon.

Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/1749703/minecraft-sales-continue-ridiculous-pace-pc-and-mobile-versions-hit-new-milestones/#8Bldp6GfhkbLz9uk.99

According to their stats site 13,000 people bought it in the last 24 hours, and I think that is just the PC version.

Picking small points here, but dota 2 passed the 1 million concurrent mark basically 1 day after that article was published

Maybe Minecraft isn't dying (I'd still say it is, but don't feel like the argument today), but Opticraft is. To me, that says something interesting, either about Opticraft, or about Minecraft in general.

TrapA7X

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 09:35:59 pm »
players come and go. that's all I can say.

Sir_Alejandro

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 03:58:20 am »
Hey guys! Missing the community, pretty much no internet good enough to game for me during this summer so I haven't been on, but I miss all you guys and gals. As for nostalgia, I've only been with the server for maybe 2 years but I've had some fun going through the spawn puzzle and getting atop the nether with acebwaker for sure

SalsaInABowl

• AKA SalsaOnTheFloor
  • Champion Member
  • Retired. Find me on Steam or IG.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2015, 09:08:38 pm »
1.2.5-1.4 Opticraft SMP was fun. I remember the amazing spleef arena I made and all the tournaments I hosted. I remember my horrible attempt at a small city. And constantly being broke. I didn't stick around on classic too long,, probably like 2 weeks. And I never moved houses, the first one I had was the only one I ever kept in the OG world.
I don't play Minecraft anymore and hardly come back to these forums. If you want to contact me, find me on Steam or Instagram. Username for everything is SalsaInABowl.

Pensfan121

• SMP-Trusted
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2015, 04:20:16 pm »
1.2.5-1.4 Opticraft SMP was fun. I remember the amazing spleef arena I made and all the tournaments I hosted. I remember my horrible attempt at a small city. And constantly being broke. I didn't stick around on classic too long,, probably like 2 weeks. And I never moved houses, the first one I had was the only one I ever kept in the OG world.

I remember the spleef too... I actually got to play yesterday believe it or not.

I still have the same house I started with in the OG world too, just built up and out.

Caanite.

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2015, 07:57:28 am »
The main reason that Minecraft is dying (or at least the SMP/Creative gamemodes) is just the gameplay itself. There isn't any sense of discovery after playing for a long time, which makes the game, for me, boring and near unplayable. It's the same with any game that relies on exploration and discovery in order to make it seem fun, I feel the same towards Skyrim after about 300 hours playing it. And the updates aren't working because they take too long and don't bring a lot into the gameplay.

That being said, I don't see Minecraft's playerbase dying anytime soon, as soon as the general audience becomes disinterested in the game and move onto other ones, servers like this one will be popular because of the community, not the game. I hardly play the game anyway, just idle on IRC most of the time :P
[22:52]   OptiBot-Creative   PIXELDUDE2001: Caanite is the almighty ceo and god of the server