March 29, 2024, 10:54:02 am

Author Topic: Mojang has been purchased by microsoft  (Read 27036 times)

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
Mojang has been purchased by microsoft
« on: September 10, 2014, 11:03:47 pm »
A few sources are saying microsoft may buy mojang for around $2billion

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/09/10/notch-approached-microsoft-about-rumored-mojang-buyout-says-bloomberg/

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 07:29:59 pm by Nick3306 »
R.I.P. Blocky Jr. - Brutally killed by Kodak on accident

clawstrider

• The Clawsome One
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
Re: Mojang might be purchased by microsoft
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 11:18:56 pm »
Microsoft is making a terrible decision. Their current games are decent enough, and they really don't need to add a small indie studio who made a 1 hit wonder to their list.

Minecraft was a great success, yeah. Their other games? Not so much.
Cobalt and Scrolls are small scale to say the least. 0x10c didn't even come out.

For Mojang however, this is great news for a team that really don't deserve it. If the deal does go through, I fully expect them to take the money, produce a few mediocre games, then leave as soon as their contract lets them (And probably retire).

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 11:25:32 pm »
Microsoft is making a terrible decision. Their current games are decent enough, and they really don't need to add a small indie studio who made a 1 hit wonder to their list.

Minecraft was a great success, yeah. Their other games? Not so much.
Cobalt and Scrolls are small scale to say the least. 0x10c didn't even come out.

For Mojang however, this is great news for a team that really don't deserve it. If the deal does go through, I fully expect them to take the money, produce a few mediocre games, then leave as soon as their contract lets them (And probably retire).
They are small scale, but if you add microsofts money and expertise into the equation it, something good might happen.

DJAlphaWolf

• Former "Super Recruit"
  • Champion Member
  • Self Proclaimed Opticraft Entertainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 11:31:00 pm »
I forsee a chance that minecraft might be removed off of Android and iOS, and PS3/PS4.

I also can imagine DLCs and other money-making schemes to increase profits off of Minecraft (We only paid a one-time fee of $27, im sure they can charge us more). Perhaps multiplayer will be something you'll have to pay for. I imagine mods will become official as DLCs. So will texture packs.

With a pricetag like $2 billion, Microsoft would need to have some big plans for profit. But who knows, maybe this might have some positives.

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 11:45:19 pm »
I forsee a chance that minecraft might be removed off of Android and iOS, and PS3/PS4.

I also can imagine DLCs and other money-making schemes to increase profits off of Minecraft (We only paid a one-time fee of $27, im sure they can charge us more). Perhaps multiplayer will be something you'll have to pay for. I imagine mods will become official as DLCs. So will texture packs.

With a pricetag like $2 billion, Microsoft would need to have some big plans for profit. But who knows, maybe this might have some positives.
They wont remove it from platforms since that would cut profits.

DJAlphaWolf

• Former "Super Recruit"
  • Champion Member
  • Self Proclaimed Opticraft Entertainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 12:37:18 am »
They wont remove it from platforms since that would cut profits.
Touché.

iGenerator

• Super Trusted
  • Champion Member
  • Mayor of Rosenberg
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 01:32:24 am »
It worked for them when they bought bungie and had them produce the indy game Halo
Major Igenerator
City Planner for Stuttgart

DP

TheWholeLoaf

• The Architect
  • Architecture Is All
    • View Profile
    • Spawn Builder
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 03:16:18 am »
This is a fun ride. First no oculus Minecraft, then the EULA rules, then bukkit crashing, and now this.
Go check out my website: www.minecraftspawnbuilder.weebly.com

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 03:40:12 am »
It worked for them when they bought bungie and had them produce the indy game Halo
the difference is that mine craft is already a successful game.

DeeKay

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 03:52:51 am »
I find it unfair when things like this happen. Huge companies throw large amounts of money to small companies and more or less force them to say yes. Most of the time the small company doesn't give a crap about their product and how much it means to them, they're in it for the money. 2 billion is a lot, but why throw all that work away and hand it to another company like that? Seems so silly to me.

Hope Mojang say no.

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 04:17:05 am »
I find it unfair when things like this happen. Huge companies throw large amounts of money to small companies and more or less force them to say yes. Most of the time the small company doesn't give a crap about their product and how much it means to them, they're in it for the money. 2 billion is a lot, but why throw all that work away and hand it to another company like that? Seems so silly to me.

Hope Mojang say no.
reports are that notch approached Microsoft about a possible deal, not the other way around. They will most likely keep most of mojang intact and maybe add a few experienced devs which they really need. I can see a few positives that could come out of a deal as well as negatives.

DeeKay

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 04:18:35 am »

Hope Mojang say no.
reports are that notch approached Microsoft about a possible deal, not the other way around. They will most likely keep most of mojang intact and maybe add a few experienced devs which they really need. I can see a few positives that could come out of a deal as well as negatives.
Well in that case rip. Yeah I can see how some good things could come out of it for sure.

Mr_Mr_Mr

• Veteran
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 04:21:50 am »
the difference is that mine craft is already a successful game.
It's also a dying game. Like every game, less and less people play/buy it over time, it will end up being like those retro arcade games collecting dust in the very back corner. I don't see microsoft making any money with this, so I think it's a pretty bad move on their part.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 04:23:22 am by Mr_Mr_Mr »

---><--- Click the monkey

SalsaInABowl

• AKA SalsaOnTheFloor
  • Champion Member
  • Retired. Find me on Steam or IG.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2014, 04:31:09 am »

Whatever, PC was the only good version to me anyways. But I don't see Microsoft having any chance of possibly making this money back if they ever get the deal. 2 billion dollars. 2. BILLION.

I don't think CoD has made that yet. And they release every year.
I don't play Minecraft anymore and hardly come back to these forums. If you want to contact me, find me on Steam or Instagram. Username for everything is SalsaInABowl.

UnknownHedgehog

• Pointy Hedgehog
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2014, 04:36:27 am »
I don't find it weird that Microsoft wants to buy Mojang, regardless if they're really worth the $2 billion. They've been acquiring companies for awhile including video game developers (like Bungie and Rare). And, tbh, I really don't care if Microsoft can get that money back with Minecraft as I'm sure they'll get $2 billion back at some point with the rest of their products.

What I find strange is that Notch has said before that he's turned down money like this before back in March on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/notch/status/448900844541726720

But now it seems he's not too shy, especially if it's true that he approached them.

I'm also concerned for what this means for Minecraft though. It wouldn't be the first time they've bought an already successful company and ruined them (Rare, creators of Banjoo Tooie and GoldenEye 007, making Kinect games...)