April 28, 2024, 09:40:52 pm

Author Topic: Vote banner competition  (Read 27984 times)

NatanylJames (N8MATTHEWS)

• The Koreannn
  • [Founder of Marine City]
    • View Profile
Re: Vote banner competition
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2012, 01:28:12 pm »
When does this contest end, like when do they pick the finalist
I'm Back BABY!

TarynMai

• Admin
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2012, 01:29:51 pm »
When they have a really good banner.

DeeKay

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2012, 01:31:20 pm »
What are you saying? That there hasn't been a really good banner so far? haha XD

TarynMai

• Admin
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2012, 01:55:56 pm »
What are you saying? That there hasn't been a really good banner so far? haha XD
=.= I mean when they have a banner that fits the description of opticraft, that is well made and original. Dont try to make me look like an ass! >:@

DeeKay

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2012, 01:58:02 pm »
=.= I mean when they have a banner that fits the description of opticraft, that is well made and original. Dont try to make me look like an ass! >:@
Sorry!

arsenic_shark

• If you need me, I have a PM ;)
    • View Profile
    • My twitter
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2012, 02:04:16 pm »
Not hard to..... :P

Anyway I do hope they do a whole server poll on say the top 5 to be taken into consideration on what the server likes.

5OO

• #1 Voter August 2012
  • #1 Voter Sept 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2012, 02:08:56 pm »
Personally I still like the current banner more then all of the submissions.

bantam2

• Oᴘᴇʀᴀᴛᴏʀ
  • Straight Outta Compton
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2012, 02:50:19 pm »
Personally I still like the current banner more then all of the submissions.

I do too, but sometimes you need to change it up.

Kurseddragon

• I can't stop thinking.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2012, 04:08:59 pm »
Honestly, this banner competition makes no sense to me.

It's asking for multiple submissions, which is fine, but then Nick states they're just looking for something plain and simple with normal font and not too much going on.

Ironically, the current banner, whether trying to or not, has a lot going on and the font is not "normal" like we've been asked to use.

It's pretty difficult to design something to your liking when the standards are being hypocritical toward themselves and there's nothing to base it off of.

I think it'd help by posting rules of what would be ok and what wouldn't be.
'Cause asking for something plain, simple, with normal font, isn't enough for someone to create a banner to fit what you're looking for.
And yes, I know if you knew what you were looking for, you wouldn't be having this competition. I'm just asking for a general idea that's not as basic as just plain, simple, with normal font.

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2012, 05:29:21 pm »

It's asking for multiple submissions, which is fine, but then Nick states they're just looking for something plain and simple with normal font and not too much going on.

Ironically, the current banner, whether trying to or not, has a lot going on and the font is not "normal" like we've been asked to use.

It's pretty difficult to design something to your liking when the standards are being hypocritical toward themselves and there's nothing to base it off of.

'Cause asking for something plain, simple, with normal font, isn't enough for someone to create a banner to fit what you're looking for.
And yes, I know if you knew what you were looking for, you wouldn't be having this competition. I'm just asking for a general idea that's not as basic as just plain, simple, with normal font.
The whole point is we are changing it. And The current banner doesn't have a lot going in. It is 1 pic with text over top of it, I made it that way on purpose.

As for the contest, I havnt talked to opti in a while but I assume we are keeping it going until we find a banner we like. Not to be so blunt but we currently dont think any of the submissions are what we are looking for. As for what we are looking for, plain and simple is the best i can describe it, when it comes to digital graphics you may find that the customer isnt always 100% on what they want.
R.I.P. Blocky Jr. - Brutally killed by Kodak on accident

Kurseddragon

• I can't stop thinking.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2012, 09:47:19 pm »

The whole point is we are changing it. And The current banner doesn't have a lot going in. It is 1 pic with text over top of it, I made it that way on purpose.

As for the contest, I havnt talked to opti in a while but I assume we are keeping it going until we find a banner we like. Not to be so blunt but we currently dont think any of the submissions are what we are looking for. As for what we are looking for, plain and simple is the best i can describe it, when it comes to digital graphics you may find that the customer isnt always 100% on what they want.

Though the current banner was made simply, due to the fact that the single picture chosen has a lot going on inside it, causes the banner to seem less simple.

If you're looking for simple in a way of making it, such as taking the current banner for example. Meaning, using one picture, one frame, one text and calling it simple and plain, even if the picture itself could cause it to technically not be plain, then that's a different story. However, it's asking to restrict a lot of potential that could be done by the banner creator in order to enhance, not necessarily add, into a banner they're creating.

I'm just saying that you guys are asking for something, and with all these submissions and no new advice, you're more than likely not going to be getting different results.

arsenic_shark

• If you need me, I have a PM ;)
    • View Profile
    • My twitter
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2012, 10:05:10 pm »
Why not go against their advice and prove them wrong with their suggestions by outstanding them with a amazing banner??

Kurseddragon

• I can't stop thinking.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2012, 10:15:54 pm »
Why not go against their advice and prove them wrong with their suggestions by outstanding them with a amazing banner??

It wouldn't make a difference, obviously no matter what anyone does isn't going to impress them.
I don't think that's their point anyway.

I'm assuming they're looking for a banner that's more professional rather than amazing. However, when asking for something professional and simple with no sliver of an example whatsoever, and some of the most vague advice possible, it's not going to be easy for anyone to create what they desire.

TarynMai

• Admin
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2012, 10:20:06 pm »

It wouldn't make a difference, obviously no matter what anyone does isn't going to impress them.
I don't think that's their point anyway.

I'm assuming they're looking for a banner that's more professional rather than amazing. However, when asking for something professional and simple with no sliver of an example whatsoever, and some of the most vague advice possible, it's not going to be easy for anyone to create what they desire.
That would be why the reward is so high. ;)

optical

• Administrator
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2012, 12:31:59 am »
We've tried to leave it as unconstrained as possible, since we're not sure exactly what we're after. The reason it hasn't been drawn yet is because we haven't had enough submissions that we thought would make a good fit.

If you're looking to submit more and want some advice - perhaps try something new or different from the rest of the submissions. Have a look at the world of warcraft and banners for other games on the vote sites, even other minecraft servers. Perhaps they can give you some idea's (Don't steal anything!).