April 28, 2024, 11:17:23 pm

Author Topic: Separate admins  (Read 11166 times)

Mr_Mr_Mr

• Veteran
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
Separate admins
« on: March 28, 2012, 09:43:49 pm »
I think it is time that Nick and Relkeb should only be admins on the SMP server. I think there should be admins that care more about the classic server to look after it. Don't get me wrong, Nick and Relkeb are doing a good job on SMP, but they are not showing that they are doing a whole lot for the classic server. As nick has said before, SMP and Classic are two separate servers, and having people be admin on two separate servers makes it harder to do their job for both of the servers. I am sure that they would rather like to be admins on the SMP server as it is developing and the classic server is basically done developing*. I personally would rather be an admin on a server that is developing because it would be fun to try and help develop the server, but, being admin on classic is what needs to be done a bit more right now. The classic server is being neglected and rejected at the time.
Ever since the addition of the SMP server, it has taken most of the attention from the classic server to the SMP server. Don't get me wrong again, I love playing on the SMP server as there is more to do on SMP than just build, but what is the classic server doing if it is just being neglected and isn't receiving any help? The only point I can see is for the people that like to be artistic and build, as that is what classic is about. There has been less promotions happening ever since the SMP server has been added, less people want to become op on classic now, they all want to be mod on SMP.
There isn't even any events going on in classic anymore because of the addition of SMP. With no events, there isn't anything fun going on, especially since there is no developing happening right now. There is no new exciting things to look forward to anymore because of the addition of SMP. With separate admins, this can be changed, but they have to be willing, they have to be willing to make events and try and if optical is willing, they can help him develop the server more and implement new plugins. There has been a topic that MrMonkey made about making a 'ticket system' and Matt88222 went out of his way to make the plugin for optical, but it has never been added, that is how bad classic is being ignored. In my honest opinion, there should be separate admins for classic and SMP

*Less is being done, there are less plugins being implemented in a certain amount of time.

---><--- Click the monkey

morgosin

• View Profile
Re: Separate admins
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 09:48:41 pm »
wall of text!! MY EYES!!

But I do agree with you, nick says he checks on classic but i kindof doubt he does as much as he says he does. And classic is being ignored quite a bit.

And alot of opererators from classic are now spending all there time on smp, So having active admins on classic may bring its pop back!
Sometimes life sucks.... but then you see a picture of Bowsette and everything gets better.

Xeadin

• Board Gamer
  • Champion Member
  • dip dip dip dip dip
    • View Profile
    • @Xeadin
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 09:55:13 pm »
http://www.opticraft.net/index.php/topic,7191.30.html

This needs to be read first before anything is decided.

In the eyes of an admin, they are doing more work than we think.

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 10:01:31 pm »
While I understand the concerns, I'm not sure what having a classic admin would do. Whenever I go on classic (which is often, dont listen to morgosin, his last login was 3 weeks ago) I end up maybe creating 1 or 2 new worlds then I just sit there talking to people. One problem is that a lot of our ops are inactive (mr's last login is hours shy of 2 weeks ago) So please state what exactly a classic admin would do.
R.I.P. Blocky Jr. - Brutally killed by Kodak on accident

Your_Mine

• Death Knight Operator
  • Guardian of an Abandoned Empire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 10:03:20 pm »
I agree with Mr that Classic needs more attention; however, I don't think separating admins is the way to go. Nick does spend time on Classic,  I have seen him multiple times. The problem is, admins don't have the power to add plugins, only Optical does. Now I recognize Optical os busy, and had put a lot of work already into the server, so I think appointing a designated coder to develop the Opticraft Server software is what we need.
As for events, well yes I agree we need some. I suggested one to the admins a while back, but they declined it because they were busy getting SMP up to speed. Now that things are running more smoothly, perhaps we could get events started in Classic again.

Edit: Basically, all a Classic admin would do that we don't have already is organize events, but we don't need a separate admin for that.
All your mine are belong to me.

Mr_Mr_Mr

• Veteran
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 10:13:39 pm »
(mr's last login is hours shy of 2 weeks ago)
Please note that I was having a break and my hard drive was broken and I was unable to get on.

So please state what exactly a classic admin would do.
I have stated that events are a problem, not only that, they could make new operators and keep them inline so you only have to worry about the SMP mods. They would take weight off your shoulders so you don't have to worry about two servers. They could help implement plugins.

1. Now I recognize Optical os busy, and had put a lot of work already into the server, so I think appointing a designated coder to develop the Opticraft Server software is what we need.

2. Edit: Basically, all a Classic admin would do that we don't have already is organize events, but we don't need a separate admin for that.
1. That would be better, having someone that actually knows how to code instead of finding an admin that knows how to code and can be an admin at the same time. Perhaps there could be a plugin developer.

2. They could make new operators and keep them inline so you only have to worry about the SMP mods. They would take weight off your shoulders so you don't have to worry about two servers. They could help implement plugins.

---><--- Click the monkey

DJAlphaWolf

• Former "Super Recruit"
  • Champion Member
  • Self Proclaimed Opticraft Entertainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 10:14:09 pm »
Nick watches over classic through IRC sometimes (I know because I try checking up classic through it everyday). So I'm pretty sure he's keeping an eye on classic and making sure everything runs smoothly.

I don't think a new set of admins is absolutely necessary but we do need to focus a little more effort on classic. Funny thing is that there are times of the day when we have like 7 operators on (happened a few days ago but there was barely any guests lol). I know a few operators are trying their absolute best to spend some time on classic, so classic isn't technically a "lost cause" yet (everyone seems to over-dramatize that classic is forgotten). Classic is not forgotten but operators are still necessary at certain times.

To be honest, there are times late at night when no moderators or trusteds (except me) are online on smp. The problem for both classic and smp is that we need more operators/mods with a specific time zone, so we can be able to moderate the servers at all times.

Also Mr, there are a lot of us that still want to go for classic operator (including me) so I don't understand where you got that from? Many of the builders are applying for Operator, but some are still not yet fit for the job, so they are rejected for now. I would apply myself and attempt to help out, but I still need to achieve builder (builder is like a lost cause to me lol). I personally love the classic server. It was the first minecraft server I ever came to and I have never forgotten about it. However, recently I lost interest in attempting to build because I struggle with building (call me lazy if you want but I honestly just can't build). I planned on building something this week since I'm on spring break so I'll try. Anyways, I'm going offtopic.

The point is, despite everyone's interest in SMP, all of us are doing our best to spend some time on classic and the admins, although overwhelmed with work, do not need to be seperated into seperate categories. Optical trusted Nick and Relkeb to be admins over everything, SMP and Classic. Who would he appoint to take their place in classic, if not them?

arsenic_shark

• If you need me, I have a PM ;)
    • View Profile
    • My twitter
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 10:29:08 pm »
Guys we DONT need another admin.

You lot might disagree with me but I feel that having another admin wont do much. I see where you are all coming for, classic is losing attention from many staff and its not really been looked after but its ok. The way its treated now could be improved but how come we can still get 200+ people online. Its because its a great server as it is.

But SMP had recently gone live again, and with the constant updates from mojang and bukkit new bugs appear every week. These bugs need to be sorted out as SMP is a different server, where people have paid to play minecraft and expect a server to be running the way it should. Also recently we had gone up in popularity on the SMP server meaning that the server is struggling to keep up. This means that Opti is spending most of his time trying to either improve the server to run better or to upgrade the server. This also means we need all our admins to help Opti to improve the server.

Because of this reasoning i feel that Classic can survive on its own right now, and some Ops (those thinking we need events and other competitions) should rise to the opportunity and show that they can run an event. This means that our two current admins should be focusing on the SMP server until that is good enough to not need as much "tender loving care" and can stand on its own two feet.

When all of this is added up, I see no reason a need admin is needed to be appointed, and I hope you can as well.

Xeadin

• Board Gamer
  • Champion Member
  • dip dip dip dip dip
    • View Profile
    • @Xeadin
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 11:12:35 pm »
http://www.opticraft.net/index.php/topic,8133.0.html

I don't think I need to say anything else, or do I?

davioo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 11:55:14 pm »
As far as I know, there hasnt been any major problems on classic since smp started that would require us to have new Admins.

clawstrider

• The Clawsome One
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 07:21:42 am »
As far as I know, there hasnt been any major problems on classic since smp started that would require us to have new Admins.

In the server low times, there is sometimes no ops for hours. I agree with Mr here, we need to have at least 1 person dedicated to making classic work.

lLLEGAL

• Recruit Operator
  • Champion Member
  • Legacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 08:18:29 am »
I wouldn't mind if someone like Xeadin or Wratkie becomes an Admin for classic.
They are responsible and active. :)

omaroo2

• OptiCraft's Pharaoh.
  • PSN: UnlimitedEra Steam: UnlimitedEra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 09:33:05 am »
Well Nick checks on classic almost everyday so, I can't say he doesn't care about it.
But Relkeb's last login was 2 weeks 4 days ago....

Then Relkeb should stick to SMP
and let Nick handle Classic...

The more admins we have the more danger will occur just like McStorm if anyone understands me.

And about the ticket or /helpop
I have already made a suggestion about that before MrMonkey but no one cared....
And matt already have a helpop plugin and he gave it to me once I started my classic server
And also ThuGie wrote one (http://www.opticraft.net/index.php/topic,4358.msg37150.html#new)
But optical said "I don't see too much use for it on our server given the volume of guests we have. That said, if the admins would like it i'd be glad to code up a more advanced version if this one does not suit."
But no admin replied...

You can find my topic here
http://www.opticraft.net/index.php/topic,4345.0.html
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 09:46:40 am by omaroo2 »

arsenic_shark

• If you need me, I have a PM ;)
    • View Profile
    • My twitter
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 01:31:26 pm »
Well Nick checks on classic almost everyday so, I can't say he doesn't care about it.

Relkeb has some problems with logging in right now, hence the last login.  Also Nick already stated that Morgosin and Mr also have Logins from couple of weeks, so surly nick is during his job by getting on when he can, but you have to remember that Admins have lives as well so they will go on both servers as much as they can, which right now is a good amount of time.

omaroo2

• OptiCraft's Pharaoh.
  • PSN: UnlimitedEra Steam: UnlimitedEra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 02:09:10 pm »

Relkeb has some problems with logging in right now, hence the last login.  Also Nick already stated that Morgosin and Mr also have Logins from couple of weeks, so surly nick is during his job by getting on when he can, but you have to remember that Admins have lives as well so they will go on both servers as much as they can, which right now is a good amount of time.

Ik but I mean Relkeb logs in to SMP more than classic
And nick logs in classic almost everyday
Then again
Let nick handle classic and Relkeb handle SMP