March 28, 2024, 11:14:05 am

Author Topic: City Application: Ozzy's Underwater City  (Read 7440 times)

OzzyKP

• I sleep with the fishes.
    • View Profile
    • National Youth Rights Association
City Application: Ozzy's Underwater City
« on: January 02, 2013, 05:54:40 pm »
City name: Aquain (though I'm not 100% satisfied with the name, it could change)

City location (Live map link, coordinates, not biome, include world name):
Old Guest World: http://smp.opticraft.net/map/#/2404/64/3593/-2/1/0

Contributors:  All the building and planning I did myself, but several people have given me ideas & feedback, plus helped clear land and sheer sheep.  A few contributors whose names I remember:

piewolf123, Blondie100, RadicalAlpha11, Lorrana, moomattoo8, blueted12345 (I think), Nhataley

Mayor (Only one - this is the zone owner):  OzzyKP

Approximate dimensions:  Heh, here is where things get tricky.  I have rather ambitious plans for this city, so I am requesting a rather massive amount of space.  I understand if you don't approve this much room, but I intend to make my case.

1. I am in the Old Guest World, so the value of this land has drastically decreased.  Anyone at this point wanting to build something new will go to the new guest world or the member world.  It is unlikely that I'd be depriving this land to someone else in need.

2. All the land I am claiming is underwater.  Assuming someone did come along and decide they wanted to start building in the Old Guest World, they are likely to find a patch of land - not water.  The value of this land is further diminished.

3.  As far as I can tell all the buildings and projects surrounding my sea are abandoned.  In my last two months of working on my city I haven't once noticed anyone in any of the surrounding areas.  It is unlikely that one of these projects will be resurrected.  And, of course, it is further unlikely that if one of these projects is resurrected that they will seek to expand into the ocean.

4. I have been here for a little less than two months but I have finished quite a lot.  I understand that I have only filled a small portion of the space I've requested, but I have spent a lot of time recently on adding details, furnishings, interiors, and my custom texture pack.  Had I spent that time only on building more empty domes I'm sure I'd have half this place 'filled' by now.  However I think a good build isn't just a lot of walls, roads, and empty shells of buildings, but a lot of details.  So I have built accordingly.  When the time comes to further expand out it shouldn't take me very long. 

5.  While I have had some very valuable help collecting resources and clearing land, the vast majority of this project has been done exclusively by me.  I have been a bit hesitant to involve others in this more directly before I got city protection.  Once I get this I hope to find some partners to help expand this city further, I expect progress to be more rapid at that point.

Anyhow, here is the map of what I have finished so far and my proposed city protection border:
(click to show/hide)

I'm not sure how city protection works, but I'd appreciate it if the border extended down to bedrock and up to the sky.  A lot of my build is under ground. 

Here is a *very* rough idea of the potential scope of this project:
(click to show/hide)

Number of active residents:  Just me.  Though I've seen interest from Blondie100, SPW, ninjafail888 and others in purchasing homes.  Once I get city protection I will begin seeking out residents more actively.

Number of completed, decorated and furnished buildings:  Due to the nature of my build I don't have a lot of free standing individual buildings.  I have 10 domes built so far.  The interior of the docking bay is perhaps 70% finished.  The interior of the commercial dome is perhaps 5% finished.  I have six middle class domes, I have not yet begun work on the interiors of three of these.  The interiors of the other three are around 95% finished.  I have 36 furnished condos in these three domes.  I intend to add bathrooms (with working showers) to all of these, and add a few more paintings, but otherwise these are complete.  I have two upper class domes, one is around 70% finished, and the other is about 40% finished.  There are plenty of screen shots in this thread.

What state is the project in, and what are your plans for its future, if any: I guess I answered this already.  Things are coming along nicely.  Plenty of things are furnished already.  I think I have more finished work than several other cities out there, which is significant especially due to the challenges of working under water.  My ultimate plans for the city are very ambitious, but unlike others who start a big ambitious project by laying down a lot of roads and walls and then give up before they get around to furnishing their buildings I'm finishing existing structures before I expand a skeleton of infrastructure further.  So even if I fall short of my ambitious plans the city won't look like an empty husk.

Why should we grant this city protection?  Because this city is pretty awesome.  :)  As I said in my thread many have attempted underwater cities on this server before, but I am further along than any of them.  Not to get too full of myself, but underwater cities are unique in Minecraft and if promoted well a properly built one (like mine) could attract people to the server.  Of course I am quite hesitant to promote the city if it isn't protected.  It is far too large for protection stones, so my only defense so far has been a low profile.  If I start promoting it more, and allowing more people to access it to look around, then I need city protection.  A griefer smashing the glass on my domes could do a lot of damage. 
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 07:04:16 pm by OzzyKP »
Owner & Creator of Aquain, a huge underwater city in the old guest world.  Check out info on my underwater city here.

Booorad

• Nuke em'
    • View Profile
Re: City Application: Ozzy's Underwater City
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 06:52:09 pm »
 ;D Looks great, good luck!

DeeKay

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 06:52:21 pm »
I really like this, good luck =)

FNVcourierjon(SigilStone)

• Champion Member
  • Vault 102 Overseer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 07:05:54 pm »
Looks really great, good luck with your application!  ;D

jh2018

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 11:09:10 pm »
Great, Good luck!

RuthlessTomato

• Champion Member
  • Previously goalieguy60, ^^ thats me
    • View Profile
    • My youtube.
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 03:12:20 am »
Wow, i want a house there!!!! : D
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 03:23:27 am by That Goalie Guy. »

Nhataley

• ^ First Profile Pic in a long time. Thanks Zera!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 03:36:47 am »
This is fantastic Project!

GoodLuck & supported! =)

Nyssa

• dedlymagik
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 12:55:30 am »
Accepted, use /region addmember aquain playername to add players to the protection.

OzzyKP

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 12:57:08 am »
Awesome!!!!!  Thank you so much!!!
Owner & Creator of Aquain, a huge underwater city in the old guest world.  Check out info on my underwater city here.

iGenerator

• Super Trusted
  • Champion Member
  • Mayor of Rosenberg
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 03:47:15 am »
Congrats
Major Igenerator
City Planner for Stuttgart

DP

Nhataley

• ^ First Profile Pic in a long time. Thanks Zera!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 05:08:45 am »
Congratulations OzzyKP. I knew you were going to get this, it is just so Fantastic. =) Great job!

FNVcourierjon(SigilStone)

• Champion Member
  • Vault 102 Overseer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 12:52:34 pm »
Congrats, well-deserved! :)

ALEXDOBR

• SUP?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 10:05:20 am »
Congrats!I know how hard it is to keep out the griefers in a big city.
//www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1032&t=229041][/url]

Felix

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 10:34:28 pm »
Good job Ozzy, Congrats on gaining CP - What a great build!!
As you may have noticed, I have been inactive for a while.
I decided to leave Opticraft for a few reasons.
Goodbye & Good luck in all your endeavours!

OzzyKP

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 01:08:53 am »
Thanks!!! :)

Sooo much left to do though!