April 29, 2024, 02:29:47 am

Author Topic: Voter identity protection  (Read 7818 times)

SonicHogSpeed

• View Profile
Voter identity protection
« on: November 19, 2012, 02:38:35 am »
Well, we all know that people vote for others many times to either troll or just to do it. If possible, you guys should link the username to the password we use to log in Minecraft or for the Opticraft forums. Although, this will not only stop those trollers but also the people voting for others with permission.
Like, it's asking for your in-game username but it will also ask for your password.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 03:08:55 pm by SonicHogSpeed »

☣2crzy4uall☣

• Professional Redstoner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
Re: Voter identity protection
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 03:32:05 am »
That's not good.... But holy crap how about changing it to where you cant vote unless you supply your forum password!!! That would solve a lot of the people who spam vote everyone.

hammysandwhich

• I once had a fear of hurdles, but I got over it.
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 05:50:59 am »
Yeah i agree, yesterday someone voted for like every person on the server...
if you die in canada do you die in real life?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

iGenerator

• Super Trusted
  • Champion Member
  • Mayor of Rosenberg
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 06:05:17 am »
I dont see the problem unless you are in such a diehard mindset about getting top voter it really shouldnt be such a huge deal
Major Igenerator
City Planner for Stuttgart

DP

SonicHogSpeed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 03:07:57 pm »
That's not good.... But holy crap how about changing it to where you cant vote unless you supply your forum password!!! That would solve a lot of the people who spam vote everyone.
Yeah, that was another thought; but I forgot to put that in. I'll edit it in now

SonicHogSpeed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 03:10:07 pm »
I dont see the problem unless you are in such a diehard mindset about getting top voter it really shouldnt be such a huge deal
You never know if those people don't or do the actual voting on the websites.

Hasan (Tabooti)

• أحسن رجل لبناني
  • Champion Member
  • Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 04:03:29 pm »
But I don't want to give my Forum username & password to randoms so they can vote for meeeeeeee.
Honneur. Sacrifice. Fidélité
.شرف. تضحية. وفاء

SalsaInABowl

• AKA SalsaOnTheFloor
  • Champion Member
  • Retired. Find me on Steam or IG.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 06:49:24 pm »
But I don't want to give my Forum username & password to randoms so they can vote for meeeeeeee.

O_o E spam? But tabooti is right, sometimes I can't vote ATM and I need someone to do it for me.
I don't play Minecraft anymore and hardly come back to these forums. If you want to contact me, find me on Steam or Instagram. Username for everything is SalsaInABowl.

clawstrider

• The Clawsome One
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 07:16:45 pm »

These basically sum up my thoughts on this matter. Although I can see where Sonic is coming from, I think its making a big thing out of nothing, I don't see any real negative effects. (And Sonic, how do we know the real person does the actual voting on the website? We don't but its a risk we take, whoever the person is).

Selkon_Hunter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 10:10:29 pm »
I would like to call to your attention to this quote from optical.

And I quote from the topic, "Password to Vote"

Adding a password to vote would deter users. Also, we have no real authentication between minecraft and forum right now, so it would require a bit of work to get done, which is not worth it right now.

Link:

Nyssa

• dedlymagik
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 11:56:20 pm »
The negative effects of having someone else vote for you is that the vote sites take one vote per ip, so if they vote for themselves and you, we lose a vote.. Now if they vote for 5 other people, we lose 5 votes. Voting may be annoying but we need them to grow and people who are voting for other people are not helping at all.

☣2crzy4uall☣

• Professional Redstoner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 01:52:31 am »
Just have it to where you can only vote if logged in... as that user.

CazualxGrenade

• Feelin βίος
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 04:58:11 am »
Brilliant. That could stop people from voting for others, and so it makes other people unable for them to vote for ye.
Bacon!
Message me for your random food for the day lol.

DeeKay

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 09:18:28 am »
When scrolling down this page, I was about to suggest that =p
This could work because our forum username is linked to our Minecraft name, either when we signed up or used the existing member script.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 11:54:07 am by xDeeKay »

Felix

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2012, 10:22:38 am »

These basically sum up my thoughts on this matter. Although I can see where Sonic is coming from, I think its making a big thing out of nothing, I don't see any real negative effects. (And Sonic, how do we know the real person does the actual voting on the website? We don't but its a risk we take, whoever the person is).

Unfortunately, I do see a "negative effect" - I mean, this is just my opinion of course, but WHY should someone benefit from the voting reward if THEY can not be bothered to voted for themselves?

We all want to vote for our favourite server (Opticraft) right? Well, time to do it for yourself (ourselves) and not expect/have someone to do it for us - You're at school/work/vacation - Tough.. wait it out, vote when you get home/online and THEN receive the reward... Why should those (like me (& the vast majority)) vote and dig for diamonds when others can be out shopping/swimming or whatever else people get up to and reap the same rewards?? Doesn't make sense does it!

I for one think it should be made more difficult (Username & Password required (IP Linked??) AND (if possible) the reward ONLY given once the user has actually voted on the sites following and not just clicking on the [Vote] link.

Disclaimer: This post is not directed at anyone in name or by reference. It is also not out of jealousy that someone is getting something for nothing. This reply is simply something that makes complete common sense (to me).
As you may have noticed, I have been inactive for a while.
I decided to leave Opticraft for a few reasons.
Goodbye & Good luck in all your endeavours!